Barna Research: 51% churchgoers don't know Great Commission

2 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BusterAg
Jim Hogg is angry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
www.barna.com/research/half-churchgoers-not-heard-great-commission

Quote:

Matthew 28:18-20 is the most well-known biblical record of what is commonly referred to extra-biblically as "the Great Commission." But despite the significance of these and other verses that call Christians to "go and make disciples of all nations," a surprising proportion of churchgoing Christians in the U.S. are generally unaware of these famous words from Jesus.

In partnership with Seed Company, Barna conducted a study of the U.S. Church's ideas about missions, social justice, Bible translation and other aspects of spreading the gospel around the world, available now in the new report Translating the Great Commission. When asked if they had previously "heard of the Great Commission," half of U.S. churchgoers (51%) say they do not know this term. It would be reassuring to assume that the other half who know the term are also actually familiar with the passage known by this name, but that proportion is low (17%). Meanwhile, "the Great Commission" does ring a bell for one in four (25%), though they can't remember what it is. Six percent of churchgoers are simply not sure whether they have heard this term "the Great Commission" before.

And of those that have heard of it, most do not actually know what it truly means:

powerbelly
AG
Seems accurate.

Especially with this definition of churchgoers:

Quote:

CHURCHGOERS are defined for this sample as those who have attended church within the past six months
dermdoc
AG
This country needs a revival.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Matthew 28:18-20 is the most well-known biblical record of what is commonly referred to extra-biblically as "the Great Commission." But despite the significance of these and other verses that call Christians to "go and make disciples of all nations," a surprising proportion of churchgoing Christians in the U.S. are generally unaware of these famous words from Jesus.
A surprising portion of churchgoers are, if I had to guess, largely unaware of many of Jesus' teachings. Considering His words force us to be willing to sacrifice comfort and security, we've created a much safer American Jesus that we can use to justify all sorts of vile behavior, even when it's directed at the very people Christ commanded us to reach.

As Kierkegaard said, "The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly."
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Frok
AG
As believers and churches we aren't prioritizing things as well as we could. We have all these programs to help people get their lives in order but many are missing the fundamentals of the faith.

It's getting harder. There are so many things competing with church on Sundays for believers to get pulled away.

dermdoc
AG
With all due respect, I am Glad the Lord did not tell us to read Kierkegaard.

And frok, after being on every committee and Deacon chair at a Baptist Church, my big beef was all the meetings. Just go do something. Go visit a shutin or someone in the hospital. Pray for somebody and let them know you did. You do not have to have a meeting everytime you do anything,
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And one other complaint, the Great Commission, IMHO has been taught terribly. It does not mean you have to go to Africa. It means to do stuff where you are.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

And one other complaint, the Great Commission, IMHO has been taught terribly. It does not mean you have to go to Africa. It means to do stuff where you are.
True. It also means more than setting up an automatic payment to some charity that we forget about shortly thereafter.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
dermdoc
AG
RetiredAg said:

dermdoc said:

True. It also means more than setting up an automatic payment to some charity that we forget about shortly thereafter.
See, I do not have a problem if that is what that person does best. My gift is servanthood. I am not an evangelist , preacher, or teacher(except at Med school). Serving the Lord should always be a joy and not an obligation and if you really love Him, you will do something. Just like you do for your loved ones but better.

Edited to add that we are not a religion of works but faith.
dermdoc
AG
And I am going to get on my soapbox again about where I think many pastors, religious leaders, and authors miss the boat. Their idea of "missions" is very limited to "Church work". When is the last time you read a book or heard a sermon praising teachers, cops, lawyers, garbageman, yard guys, etc. for doing their best for the Lord? They ALWAYS talk about evangelists or folks who start a Foundation, or whatever. There were just a select few Christ called to leave their work.

And edited to add that Christ never told anyone in the crowds he spoke to or the folks he healed to leave their jobs and family. He instructed them to live for him where they were. No wonder Christ saved his biggest criticism for religious leaders.
Sapper Redux
Is it possible that churchgoers know what it is without knowing the name? I remember hearing a lot about the Great Commission in church without necessarily remembering hearing the title used a lot.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Is it possible that churchgoers know what it is without knowing the name? I remember hearing a lot about the Great Commission in church without necessarily remembering hearing the title used a lot.
Sap, that is definitely a possibility.
swimmerbabe11
Dr. Watson said:

I tend to read this sort of thing with a grain of salt for this reason. There are plenty of times where I have blanked on relatively simple facts on all sorts of things or known that something was right or wrong and not been sure exactly why. These sort of things are often posed to be "gotcha" type things anyway.
tford12
AG
yeah I am familiar with that piece of scripture, but never heard it taught/called "The Great Commission"
Frok
AG
What denomination of church do you attend?

AgDotCom
Some are called to make this their life. Some are called to make this a portion of their life. Others are called to do it when opportunity presents itself.

You have opportunities to be a "commissioner" just about every day, some of them at unusual times and places. For me, most of these opportunities come to full fruition days, months or years after I simply show, by words or actions, that I value someone.

Use these opportunities when they present themselves. I personally believe that if you're "born again" your service will come naturally, whenever that time and place arises, and that you don't need to check off a number of pre-set boxes in a list that someone else feels you should make.
dermdoc
AG
Amen. I wish more pastors and authors thought your way. Sometimes I wonder if the ones who are so condemning really know the Lord.
Frok
AG
It's tough to "share the gospel" at work. I try to value everyone I come across and keep my integrity in all situations. I try to talk about "churchy" things so people know what I value. Sometimes it pays off and I get an obvious "here's your chance" moment. Too often I squiggle out of it because I don't want to make the person uncomfortable. It always makes me feel like Peter after he denied Christ.
titan
S
dermdoc said:

This country needs a revival.
Interesting you mention that----- I actually think part of the issue here is people are also thinking of the `Great Awakening' and trying to recall just what that was. Or maybe that is too generous and they are just fully clueless.

Dr. Watson is also right --- it could well be an issue of jargon, not awareness.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

It's tough to "share the gospel" at work. I try to value everyone I come across and keep my integrity in all situations. I try to talk about "churchy" things so people know what I value. Sometimes it pays off and I get an obvious "here's your chance" moment. Too often I squiggle out of it because I don't want to make the person uncomfortable. It always makes me feel like Peter after he denied Christ.

I find that just sharing my faith and what God has done for me does the best. Plant seeds and see what God does. It is not our job to save anyone, just to be witnesses.

There is a waitress at a restaurant we frequent who I have gotten to know. Before Easter, faith came up due to the season. We chatted and I just said I like you and would like to spend eternity with you. Saw her last night and she said she was so happy and she and her son are getting baptized soon. You never know how the Spirit is going to move.
Frok
AG
Awesome. I agree about your point with pastors. They often focus on missions that I have a hard time relating with. However just simply being among non-believers and telling them our story is simple and effective.
dermdoc
AG
A lot of pastors and theologians are like a lot of docs I know. They make it much harder and more complicated than it has to be. Love God, love people due to faith in Jesus. It is that easy.
dermdoc
AG
True story. We were in NYC last year before Christmas and there were some guys with billboards talking about all the sins people were doing. When i walked by I simply said "God bless you" and the guy chased me down and tried to get me to join their church and was very persistent even after I explained I was on His side. Sometimes Christians are their own worst enemies. Like a circular firing squad.

And Heaven forbid if you are not converted like they think you should be. Hint, do not mention works or Catholicism.
dermdoc
AG
And I am not the Bible experts some of you are but I never remember Paul or the apostles preaching in the manner most street preachers and evangelists do.
HDeathstar
This:

yeah I am familiar with that piece of scripture, but never heard it taught/called "The Great Commission"
BusterAg
AG
RetiredAg said:

As Kierkegaard said, "The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly."

Are you reading Kierkegaard seriously?

Happy to see someone else quoting him here, regardless. Let me know if you have questions.

I'm not a fan of his broodiness, but his measurement of God versus man, I find instructive.

Cheers! And Shalom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.