Bill Hybels accused of decades of sexual misconduct

3,415 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former pastors accuse Hybels of decades of inappropriate conduct

I originally placed this on the Politics board, but it became clear pretty quickly that people didn't know who he was. Thus, this is probably better served on this board.

I've been privy to many of the inside details of this over the last few years, but this story is just now coming to light in evangelical circles. The Tribune does a great job in this long-form piece.

Regardless of your opinion on religion, Christianity, or evangelicals, Hybels holds ENORMOUS sway in these circles. The past few years have ripped the Willow Creek staff apart as more and more women have come forward against Hybels. While these accusations aren't exactly Weinstein-esque, they are a big no-no in Christian circles.
powerbelly
AG
I dont think he has quite the influence you think he does.
fwheightsboy
AG
A preacher in a sex scandal. Who woulda thunk?
TXAGFAN
AG
Being privy to details for years seems an interesting thing to admit, but that's just me.
diehard03
Quote:

I've been privy to many of the inside details of this over the last few years, but this story is just now coming to light in evangelical circles. The Tribune does a great job in this long-form piece.

Oh? Do tell.
747Ag
AG
Who?
smc05
I only know him as Shauna Niequist's father.
Martin Q. Blank
747Ag said:

Who?
Bill Hybels. Creator of the mega church. Used business practices and brought them into the church.
94chem
Hybels just stepped down.
diehard03
Quote:

Rough decision. For sure, he will come back to the GLS. This was always his passion and he will continue here. But in terms of public opinion, I always find the "I'll step away to avoid distraction" action heads towards culpability.

What a shame.
wbt5845
AG
Can we bash all non-denominational churches over this the same way the whole Catholic Church gets bashed when a priest misbehaves?
TXAGFAN
AG
wbt5845 said:

Can we bash all non-denominational churches over this the same way the whole Catholic Church gets bashed when a priest misbehaves?
Not the same. The Catholic Church used their resources at numerous levels and involving numerous people across churches/diocese/country organizations to cover things up. Most of these other church incidents fall to the decisions of a fairly small group. The only church I can think of which even begins to stack up in comparison to the Catholics is the LDS church which seems to be having their fair share of issues lately.
BassCowboy33
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Rough decision. For sure, he will come back to the GLS. This was always his passion and he will continue here. But in terms of public opinion, I always find the "I'll step away to avoid distraction" action heads towards culpability.

What a shame.

Doesn't look like the women are going to let him off that easy, either.

I thought I saw the GLS asked him not to be involved? Also saw that his book publisher is trying to cut ties as well.
diehard03
One of the "replacement pastors" just resigned over the churches' handling of the whole situation. It's getting worse (with new allegations)
dermdoc
AG
You would think clergy would have a very high fear of the Lord. Terrible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

Power corrupts. Clergymen aren't any different.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Power corrupts. Clergymen aren't any different.

Has always been thus, and always will be for the priestly class.
AgLiving06
dermdoc said:

I think they do, but I think they also face more temptation from Satan because they are in that position.
Aggiefan#1
AG
diehard03
Quote:

This...I could care less who he is and dont care to know him.

Big church I assume...probably rich as hell....writes books.

Hardly the appropriate response, don't you think?
Aggiefan#1
AG
Edited/deleted. I am sure that this person is very important in certain circles so I don't wish to inflame anyone distressed over this.

I apologize if I offended anyone....
94chem
Quote:

This...I could care less who he is and dont care to know him.
So...you could care less? Really people, this isn't that difficult. It's not like trying to conjugate an irregular verb after growing up in East Texas. It's not some subtle colloquialism with a mysterious origin. It's just basic English. Learn it. Use it. One need not be ignorant in the expression of one's ignorance, notwithstanding the precious irony such action conjures.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.