Rabbi says meat from genetically cloned pig could be eaten by Jews

932 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
Woody2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.jta.org/2018/03/22/news-opinion/rabbi-says-meat-genetically-cloned-pig-eaten-jews-including-milk
Quote:

A prominent Orthodox rabbi in Israel said that meat from a genetically cloned pig would be kosher for consumption by Jews, including when eaten with dairy products.

Rabbi Yuval Cherlow told Ynet in an interview published Wednesday that cloned meat is not subject to the rules that apply to the consumption of regular meat.

Cherlow is quoted as saying that "cloned meat produced from a pig shall not be defined as prohibited for consumption including with milk."
Quote:

In the interview ahead of a Bar-Ilan University symposium titled "Science and Halacha" featuring a talk by Cherlow, he advocated rabbinic approval of cloned meat "so that people would not starve, to prevent pollution, and to avoid the suffering of animals."

When the "cell of a pig is used and its genetic material is utilized in the production of food, the cell in fact loses its original identity and therefore cannot be defined as forbidden for consumption," Cherlow said. "It wouldn't even be meat, so you can consume it with dairy."

In 2013, Rabbi Menachem Genack, CEO of the Orthodox Union's kosher division, said that meat from a lab-grown hamburger could be consumed with dairy products, although halacha, religious Jewish law, forbids it in meat produced from a live animal.
Oh those clever Jews, always finding creative ways to get around God's instructions.
peachbasket
I don't think he's talking about a cloned pig. He's talking about cloned pork, millions of cells in a flask, cloned from a single porcine cell in a flask in the laboratory.
amercer
AG
Rongagin71
AG
Guess it's my oldtimieness, but that kid licking a pig snout scares the bejabbers out of me.
Pigs can bite worse than dogs.

Edit to add that I am looking forward to cloned bear meat, the settlers considered it a delicacy...very light oil.
schmendeler
AG
Ha God! Checkmate.
Duncan Idaho
Not any more ridiculous than going from "don't boil a bady goat in the milk of it's mother" to "cheeseburgers are the work of Satan."
Post removed:
by user
Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

The rabbi's position doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm pretty sure that's part of the job description.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.