Year of Jubilee

506 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sapper Redux
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)#Origin_and_purpose

Quote:

This fiftieth year is sacredit is a time of freedom and of celebration when everyone will receive back their original property, and slaves will return home to their families.

Leviticus 25:10 (CEV free translation)

It's fascinating how this gave everyone a chance at economic freedom (the rich and poor alike). This discouraged slavery/pauperism as well as excess; unlike how our society is today.

I've been reading in Leviticus and have noticed how they were commanded to NOT loan money at interest among themselves. In the Sabbatical year Loans and Debts were to be forgiven. I wonder how people didn't misuse this ordinance by just not paying their debtors even in times when they had the means to do so. (Perhaps an agreement was made on a payment plan of some sort)

In contrast to our current system, bank loans, student loans, credit cards, mortgages are all charged at interest. They are rarely forgiven and continue till they have been paid in full.
PacifistAg
AG
I read somewhere a long time ago that there's no evidence that the Israelites ever practiced this. Not surprising, but such a wonderful thing had they done so.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Win At Life
AG
I have speculated that YHWH May be blessing Israel on the Jubilee years, but we don't know what years are jubilees anymore. However, does anyone see why 1917, 1967, 2017 would be a good guess?
schmendeler
AG
Win At Life said:

I have speculated that YHWH May be blessing Israel on the Jubilee years, but we don't know what years are jubilees anymore. However, does anyone see why 1917, 1967, 2017 would be a good guess?
what about 1867, 1817, 1767, 1717, and so on...?
Win At Life
AG
schmendeler said:

Win At Life said:

what about 1867, 1817, 1767, 1717, and so on...?
I don't see any important events for the nation of Israel on those dates, but Israel didn't exist as a Jewish nation from the 1st/2nd Century AD until those times. However, I can identify historically known events marking major advancements for the Jewish nation of Israel on those three dates that coincidentally match a pattern of 50 year intervals. Just interesting speculation that may not mean anything, and I won't likely be around long enough to see if it repeats again.
PacifistAg
AG
Is it really a "Jewish nation" if a quarter of the population isn't Jewish? What percentage of the population needs to be Jewish to classify as a Jewish state?
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Is it really a "Jewish nation" if a quarter of the population isn't Jewish? What percentage of the population needs to be Jewish to classify as a Jewish state?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_state
Sapper Redux
That doesn't really answer his question.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.