Thoughts on reading the bible

1,312 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kaibacorp_trades
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For the first time, I've been sitting down to read the bible, cover to cover. I've read it in pieces before, went to bible school as a kid, bible study as an adult, the normal stuff. Something different about this read through is I have no intent in doing so other than to discover truth. Sort of by the accident of jettisoning any mental reason to read, I have been thinking deeper about how one reads the bible. It has to do with how truth is communicated in religion and has to do with how a religious text is read.

It seems that there are different ways to receive truth in reading the holy word. One can read the bible and read it as though it is a text. When doing this, it can be read for it's literal understanding, historicity, the nature of what things are, a sort of materialist approach. It could also be read as a text and read for it's metaphors or allegories. In doing this, one attempts to think and interpret using reason or logic what the truth is that is expressed in the text. In one or both methods, one might look at other sources or commentaries. One might look at different languages or translations, all in an attempt to discern through thinking what is meant. Both of these approaches are of the mind. A sort of meaning or a sort of truth can be acquired and received in both approaches. I have come to the conclusion that these are not themselves the true or fullest meaning or truth expressed. They are a shade of the truth and only a shade can be acquired even when reading these ways with a religious eye.

Another approach, one much more difficult to describe, is to read the text with an openness, intention, or receptivity to the deepest level of meaning or truth. In doing so, one doesn't necessarily put away all thought, but one uses only that thought which is relevant to the deepest meaning. It doesn't require mental effort per se. One way to describe this kind of reading is to say that one reads with the heart. It seems to lead to a sense of the profound that is beyond verbal expression. This truth has no adequate verbal equivalent. I don't know how else to describe this method other than to say it is done with a seeking of revelation. You might say a seeking of the mystery. So far, it has been quite fruitful, in the spiritual sense.

Has anyone heard of, read about, tried, or considered something like this approach?
Faithful Ag
I would recommend the Bible timeline study by Jeff Cavins. It takes you through the Bible following the actual chronological order of events/dates vs. reading cover to cover.
Zobel
AG
What you're describing sounds like what many of the fathers would have called contemplation of the Scriptures.
Win At Life
AG
If you've never before read through the bible cover to cover and this is your first time to do it, then my advice is to say you are putting way too much thought into it at the moment and that may stall your effort to actually finish what you started. Organized bible studies are extremely disjointed in the scriptures from one session to another, week to week , etc.

As a long-time believer you appear to be, the greatest benefit you will get out of reading the bible cover to cover for the first time is putting all these disjointed stories in their physical (and to some extend chronological) order within the bible. But you will best accuire this benefit if you read through relatively quickly, not stopping too long to study things that you don't understand well at the time you read them. By doing this, you will likely make connections with stories that are separated be many chapters, or even books, that you can't see easily through previous lengthy and disjointed studies.

Once you have that framework, your detailed study of individual sections will be within the overall framework you've acquired and your subsequent re-read of scripture can be more contemplative as you are suggesting.

Just my $0.02.
Win At Life
AG
I would add that it's also a good idea to have a study bible that provides the basic historical context, timeline and major themes of each book. My study bible has about a one-page intro like this. Read something like that before starting each book.
chuckd
AG
My advice is to read it in the only sense it is written - literal. Not how we typically think of "literal", but the dictionary definition - designating or relating to the sense intended by the author of a text, normally discovered by taking the words in their natural or customary meaning, in the context of the text as a whole, without regard to any ulterior spiritual or symbolic meaning.

Don't read metaphors or allegories or some other mystical sense into the text unless they are metaphors or allegories. What did the author mean? You can then discover truth.
PacifistAg
AG
The only thing I'd add is that the Scriptures, whether OT or NT, must be read through the lens of God's revelation in Christ crucified. Christ, specifically Christ on the cross, finally reveals to us what God truly looks like. So read the Scriptures with that understanding. Christ crucified is the key to understanding Scripture. Given all Scripture points to Christ, when a section does not look like Christ, dig deeper to find Him.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
dds08
AG
Themes that seem to recur as I read the bible are Love, Freedom, Truth, Justice, Life, Law, Purity, Holiness, Sacrifice for a greater (noble) cause, Obedience, and Rebellion.

These themes just scream out at me. The reason I have faith and believe is that these themes manifest themselves in our society, our lives, our country, and many other areas. Anyone would be narrowminded and shallow to think these themes don't permeate to some extent in this world.

Science and logic only go so far. Logic does not fully explain the depths of agape love. There are things science just cannot explain or begin to explain, yet these things are unmistakably present. Science cannot explain our justice system. Why? Because politics and human error manifest themselves in court cases. There are those who are truly guilty who get off and there are those who are truly innocent and get sent behind bars only to be exonerated and proven innocent years later, perhaps decades later (perhaps never exonerated at all).

It's unmistakable, there's something at play here that is below the surface on a different level. (So much so, to the extent that, I believe those who totally rely on evidence/logic/science/scientific method just completely ignore or write off altogether the ultimate truth. Blind faith in evidence, logic and the scientific method is someone closing there ears and eyes, and immaturely screaming out loud in opposition to the truth.

Science and logic cannot explain the injustice of the Emmitt Till case, or the Haulocost, or Slavery. All these cases are a contradiction to logic. How do science and logic come to explain how politics sway cases of injustice?

How do science and logic explain the human conscience/moral compass?

Humans left to their own means and ends without God would be catastrophic. We would all pursue our own selfish desires and ambitions regardless of the life and well being of others, I suspect. We would have no respect for life and this world would be in utter chaos.

It's funny how people like Pharaoh/Jonah/the disobedient Israelites in the wilderness/Jezebel & her so-called god, Paul (in the new testament)/Satan/Hitler/The Axis Powers/The Emperor of Japan all seemed to hit this wall (figuratively speaking) and weren't able to do all they wanted to do in their lust for their own selfish ends.

Hiter in his lust for power, grossly neglected what was in his own best interest, the best interest of his country and the people of Germany. Stalin was the same way. The Emperor was the same way. How exactly does logic apply to these cases?

If all this doesn't speak to a person, I'm not sure what will. I would even suspect that person wasn't truly alive, dead inside.
Wizard
I'm following the Bible Project's Read Scripture app
americathegreat1492
k2aggie07 said:

What you're describing sounds like what many of the fathers would have called contemplation of the Scriptures.
Thanks. I looked this up and that seems to more or less be the method.
americathegreat1492
RetiredAg said:

The only thing I'd add is that the Scriptures, whether OT or NT, must be read through the lens of God's revelation in Christ crucified. Christ, specifically Christ on the cross, finally reveals to us what God truly looks like. So read the Scriptures with that understanding. Christ crucified is the key to understanding Scripture. Given all Scripture points to Christ, when a section does not look like Christ, dig deeper to find Him.
Word. Christ is always my focus and intent.
DirtDiver
Discovery Bible Study Method/modified

1. What do I learn about God?
2. What do I learn about humanity/me?
3. In this section does God want me to Know something, Believe a truth, Become something (character), Do something?
4. How do I apply or share this section with others?
5. What did I just read? Think about the chapter or section read and try to recite it or explain it in your own words to someone.
Post removed:
by user
Kaibacorp_trades
Remember that these disciplines such as reading, praying, attending worship etc are invatations from the Lord to connect with him. The Lord is inviting you only to know more about him, but also to spend time with him. So as you're hearing truth and discovering more about it, know that there is a relationship in it as well
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.