Exodus 33: 19 - 23 A scene of awe!

2,305 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zobel
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Exodus 33:19-23 New International Version (NIV)

19 And the Lord said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."
21 Then the Lord said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock.
22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."

Moses experienced being in the midst of the Glory of the Lord and saw the very back of the Lord with his own two eyes!

How awesome! How marvelous!

Anyone care to speculate who's back Moses saw?

Was it:

a. The Father
b. The Holy Spirit
c. The Only Begotten Son
d. All the above

dds08
AG
Quote:

Exodus 30:34-38 New International Version (NIV)

Incense

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Take fragrant spicesgum resin, onycha and galbanumand pure frankincense, all in equal amounts,
35 and make a fragrant blend of incense, the work of a perfumer. It is to be salted and pure and sacred.
36 Grind some of it to powder and place it in front of the ark of the covenant law in the tent of meeting, where I will meet with you. It shall be most holy to you.
37 Do not make any incense with this formula for yourselves; consider it holy to the Lord.
38 Whoever makes incense like it to enjoy its fragrance must be cut off from their people."
Oh, how I wish I could have been there to smell this scent of fragrance!

I bet nothing in all the whole world appealed more to the human sense of smell than this aroma!
Win At Life
AG
He also has a face, because God said Moses couldn't look on His face. They also saw His feet at mount Sinai.
dds08
AG
When the Word said, "He made man in His image" I didn't take it as literal. Perhaps as a kid, I did, but once I started getting older and listening to sermon after sermon, it seems most pastors/preachers and the Christian community focus on more of the non-physical. They focus more on the fact that the Lord created a heart, soul and a spirit within us that models his image.

From reading Exodus and Moses's experience on Mount Sinai, I would be willing to believe He chooses to portray himself as having a human body. Perhaps not necessarily a physical body, but the image he projects is similar to a human body.

He is the supreme, omnipotent, sovereign Lord of all universe, so I would be willing to believe He could portray himself as He chooses. In Narnia, He is portrayed, by Lewis, as a lion. In movies, He is portrayed as an actor, (Morgan Freeman)
Zobel
AG
No one has ever seen the Father (John 6:46) or God at any time (John 1:18).

St Maximos and St Gregory wrote that St Moses saw the glory of God's uncreated energies, his "back" being what emanates from Him.
Sapper Redux
Win At Life said:

He also has a face, because God said Moses couldn't look on His face. They also saw His feet at mount Sinai.

It's turtles, all the way down.
dds08
AG
k2aggie07 said:

No one has ever seen the Father (John 6:46) or God at any time (John 1:18).

St Maximos and St Gregory wrote that St Moses saw the glory of God's uncreated energies, his "back" being what emanates from Him.
So Moses's experience in Exodus is to be taken more figuratively than literally?
Zobel
AG
I think don't know if I would use the word figuratively. The question is, even literally, what is the back of God?
agie95
AG
God is a spirit. We cannot take the anthropomorphisms in the Bible and believe that God has an image of a man.

God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24
dds08
AG
agie95 said:

God is a spirit. We cannot take the anthropomorphisms in the Bible and believe that God has an image of a man.

God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24

Those who believe in Jesus Christ, and proclaim Him as Lord, know for certain that He walked the Earth in the image of man.

One of His nicknames is "Son of Man."
dds08
AG
Numbers 12:5-9 New International Version (NIV)

5 Then the Lord came down in a pillar of cloud; he stood at the entrance to the tent and summoned Aaron and Miriam. When the two of them stepped forward, 6 he said, "Listen to my words:
"When there is a prophet among you,
I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions,
I speak to them in dreams.
7 But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.
8 With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the Lord.
Why then were you not afraid
to speak against my servant Moses?"
9 The anger of the Lord burned against them, and he left them.
Zobel
AG
Yes, that's why we confess Moses spoke with the Pre-Incarnate Christ. When God walked by, Moses was protected by the Rock, which we also take as a type for Christ.
agie95
AG
Yeshua is not a deity. He is divine, but not deity.

Son of man is a title.

Zobel
AG
What is divine that is not God?

agie95
AG
Are humans not divine? All is God.
Zobel
AG
Pantheistic claptrap.
dds08
AG
k2aggie07 said:

What is divine that is not God?

Just thought I might share this:

Psalm 82 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 82

A psalm of Asaph.

1 God presides in the great assembly;
he renders judgment among the "gods":
2 "How long will you defend the unjust
and show partiality to the wicked?
3 Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
5 "The 'gods' know nothing, they understand nothing.
They walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 "I said, 'You are "gods";
you are all sons of the Most High.'
7 But you will die like mere mortals;
you will fall like every other ruler."
8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth,
for all the nations are your inheritance.
dds08
AG
agie95 said:

Son of man is a title.

Who exactly do you refer to when you state the name "Yeshua."

Is it Joshua or the Heavenly Father?
agie95
AG
dds08 said:

agie95 said:

Son of man is a title.

Who exactly do you refer to when you state the name "Yeshua."

Is it Joshua or the Heavenly Father?
Yeshua is the Messiah. The one who died and resurrected.

Yehoshua is Joshua. Though he was called Yeshua in the Bible a time or two as well.
Zobel
AG
Yes, we become gods by grace. But that is "borrowed," as it were, from God. We are not divine.
agie95
AG
The human soul is not divine?

The Torah is divine as well.
Zobel
AG
No, they are not.

Divinity is a property of God. Other things may take on this property by grace but it is not intrinsically their own of their own being.

Being divine and of divine origin are not the same thing.
agie95
AG
One of the definitions of divine is:

of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God.

Did our souls proceed from God? When God breathed into Adam, He breathed his soul into him. His soul and all souls (which all came from Adam-mystic teaching) proceeded directly from God.

Just like the Torah proceeded directly from God...from His mouth.

Our souls emanated from God. This is the internal struggle we have inside of us. Our flesh wants to do one thing, but our spirit, our soul, longs to do things God's way b/c the soul is from God. When we are doing God's will (Torah) our soul has shalom and begins to repair the body so to speak. Every time we go against God's way, we are inflicting the soul. It's a deep subject and one that if you haven't contemplated it or studied it then we don't understand and dismiss it. It's ok. Our lives are about tikkun olam, the repair of the world.
Zobel
AG
Pantheism!

Everything was created by God, proceeded directly from God. Nothing was made or exists apart from God.

You may as well worship the dirt.
agie95
AG
It's a deep subject and one that if you haven't contemplated it or studied it then we don't understand and dismiss it. It's ok.

It is far from pantheism.
Zobel
AG
Condescension suits you.

Show me how a created soul is different than a created piece of dirt, if you can.
agie95
AG
That is fine. Ignorance is not a reason to dismiss something.
Zobel
AG
It is not ignorance. It is denouncing heretical dirt worship.

Then again, Jews always did have a tendency to return to pagan idolatry of created things.
agie95
AG
I didn't make my statement in a condescending manner, yet you continue to take punches. Grow up.
Zobel
AG
There is only one thing that has divinity as is nature: God. If you ascribe divinity to anything else you have created a multitude of divine natures, and therefore a multitude of gods.

This is not the same as saying God is everywhere present and fills all things, sustains all things.

What God has created and what God sustains is not God any more than what I create and sustain takes on the property of being human in nature (with the obvious exception of my children, but that is no better for your defense against the creation of multiple gods).

This should be painfully obvious.
agie95
AG
Based on what you are saying you attached divinity to deity. That is only one definition of divine. As I posted before, this is also a definition:

of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God.

The soul proceeded directly from God. Anything you create is not proceeding directly from God. Big difference.
Zobel
AG
"For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities;all things have been created through Him and for Him."

"Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made."

There is no scriptural use of the word in the way you are using it.

I don't care what Websters says, and a careful reading shows that they are not using it the way you are - the examples given are things that are divine as proceeding from God, i.e., divine inspiration, divine love, divine intervention. These are properties of and from God, not properties of created things. They gain their divinity by their relationship to God.

Everything that exists comes from God, exists through God, and continues to exist by God. There is no intermediary for existence between God and Creation.

Can you demonstrate the intermediate actor who causes something that did not exist to exist?
agie95
AG
You have to go to the sod/mystical level. You are looking at the peshat.
Zobel
AG
So...no? You can't?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.