Early Christian Martyrs and Heretics

670 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zobel
AggieFrankTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today, I was thinking about the early Christian martyrs. Christians tend to glorify those who the Roman Empire killed for following Jesus/Yeshua. In fact, many of them have been made saints. The image of defiant Christians being fed to lions in the Colosseum is one of my earliest Sunday School memories.

But were all of them even "Christian?" How many of them were actually "heretics" by modern standards ... followers of sects/branches of early Christianity that were later pruned from the tree by the orthodox Church, such as Ebionites, Arians, Marcionists, Montanists and the like? It seems unlikely that the Romans would have limited their persecution to those who focused upon the teachings of Saul/Paul.
Woody2006
AG
Quote:

Today, I was thinking about the early Christian martyrs.
What an odd thing to think about. I've been thinking a lot about whether the Rockets are capable of beating the Warriors in a best-of-7 series.
dds08
AG
Seriously Woody?
jkag89
dds08 said:

Seriously Woody?
Yeah, who in the right mind thinks about the NBA.
Woody2006
AG
AggieFrankTX
Woody, I like you, but why are you cluttering my thread?
AggieFrankTX
It seems to me that the Church canonized people that it would have excommunicated if they had lived two centuries later.
Zobel
AG
Having a wrong belief is not a heresy. Heretics drive the incorrect belief to schism, and do so knowing that it causes a schism. If they were never rebuked or corrected, they never were heretics. Heretics are self condemned because it is their own choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.