R- for Christians- what types of arguments do you find most convincing personally?

730 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dermdoc
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was watching a video of William Lane Craig and Bishop Robert Barron. WLC emphasizes, that while over the last century or so, much of Christian apologetics and conversion work focuses on experience (i.e. encountering God, the Spirit, the Son, or the community), that many people today yearn for the intellectual arguments, i.e. Kalam cosmological argument, 5 ways, etc.

I am curious- as Christians, what types of arguments to did/do you find most convincing in your conversion?

Experiential
Intellectual

Martin Q. Blank
I read the Bible and was convicted of my sins. I sought refuge in Jesus Christ. Is that experiential or intellectual?
Athanasius
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I read the Bible and was convicted of my sins. I sought refuge in Jesus Christ. Is that experiential or intellectual?
Experiential.
Quad Dog
AG
I find Experiential boring and pointless. The experiences and coincidences in your life that lead to your faith have nothing to do with the experiences and coincidences of mine. Good for you, I'm glad that was your path, but it really has nothing to do with mine.
Martin Q. Blank
CaptMermethyl said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Experiential.
How does someone come to Christ intellectually?
Athanasius
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

CaptMermethyl said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Experiential.
How does someone come to Christ intellectually?
I wouldn't say the full way... of course most of the work was/will-be done by God.

However, for me, I am very convinced by philosophical and then theological arguments.

Of course, in the end, it all comes down to the Resurrection. If that didn't happen, then it's orthodox Judaism for me.

The Resurrection, while passed down by witness testimony through the ages, would be experiential, I need the underlying Reason (logical construct) to believe as well.

Martin Q. Blank
Of course I find Christianity logical. But I don't see how someone can come to Christ purely by reason. Same goes for any belief system. Atheism is the most illogical position one can hold which is why I don't think anybody became one by reason, just experience.

Apologetics is a defense, not evangelism.
dermdoc
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Can not blue star this enough.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggiefan#1
AG
I love Theology. I read it almost every day.

That said you cannot come to Christ logically or through wisdom etc...

I read and come to the understanding, intelligence and accuracy of my faith through the Bible, Church Fathers and other writings.

I come to God through prayer. There is prayer and nothing else when seeking communion with God.
dermdoc
AG
Aggiefan#1 said:

I love Theology. I read it almost every day.

That said you cannot come to Christ logically or through wisdom etc...

I read and come to the understanding, intelligence and accuracy of my faith through the Bible, Church Fathers and other writings.

I come to God through prayer. There is prayer and nothing else when seeking communion with God.
Blue star too my friend. I listen a lot more now when I pray.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.