(R:) Christ's return

3,727 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quad Dog
RespectTheDecision
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone believe the 2nd coming of Christ is near? Can you explain why?
vacating FL410
I believe His return to be "near", however, God's definition of near and my definition could differ by quite a bit.
dermdoc
AG
I have no idea but I can't wait! No more evil, cancer, tears, death, wars, depression, mental illness, etc. New bodies that never wear out, communion with the saints, what could be better?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gomer95
AG
Well it's nearer than it was yesterday. And He IS coming back, but no one knows exactly when, not even Jesus until God tells Him. We can look at signs the Bible mentions however and those are all happening so yes it could be soon. It could also be a hundred years away or more. We should make sure that we are ready for Him to come back ASAP because whether Jesus comes back today or a hundred years from now, the day you die is the day it's all over for deciding to accept Him as your Savior or not so be prepared for where you will spend eternity because that could happen any time!
vacating FL410
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
I believe the single greatest indicator is the fulfillment of the Fig Tree Parable (rebirth of Israel) referenced in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. The end times revolve around Israel, the missing 7 years year of Daniel's 490 prophecy (aka "The Tribulation" or "Time of Jacob's Troube" to which the purpose is the restoration of Israel), and ultimately the return of Jesus Christ to set up his millenial kingdom from the New Jerusalem.

Many have heard about the calamities, wars, famines, and pestilences that Jesus mentions in the Olivet Discourse (same gospels and chapters as mentioned above), but Christ indicates greater signs to look for are deception and rampant apostasy.

2 Timothy 3 paints a picture of the characteristics of mankind (or "personkind", in case Justin Trudeau is lurking), in the latter days. Romans 1 paints a picture of a society given over to reprobation as God removes roadblocks limiting radical depravity and gives individuals and nations over to what they want, a culture without his ordained institutions. That will certainly play a factor as this present church age culminates.

Technically from a dispensation standpoint, the "last days" started at Pentecost and the birth of the New Testament Church Age and I believe will end with the pre-tribulation rapture of the saints (my eschatological sentiment is that of pre-tribulation, pre-millennialism). The last of the last days (Daniel's 70th week, found in Daniel 9) God is almost exclusively focusing on the unbelieving Jews.

Short answer - keep your eye on Israel. No other civilization has been destroyed and the occupants dispersed globally to then be reborn as a sovereign state in the same geographical location, with the same bloodlines and orthodox religion. After almost nineteen centuries on non-existence, the reemergence of the Sovereign State of Israel is greatest indicator that our redemption draweth nigh!

Wish I had more time. Great thread. I love prophesy talk and wish we had more of it here! (Would love to take a look at discuss and discuss other's views on the establishments a coming anti-Christ will set in motion - i.e. a one world ecumenical religious order, a global governance, and a singular re-centralized digital monetary system).
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

but no one knows exactly when, not even Jesus until God tells Him
Just when you think you have the Trinity figured out, someone confuses you again.
Line up and wait 18L
TampaBayAg said:

I believe the single greatest indicator is the fulfillment of the Fig Tree Parable (rebirth of Israel) referenced in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. The end times revolve around Israel, the missing 7 years year of Daniel's 490 prophecy (aka "The Tribulation" or "Time of Jacob's Troube" to which the purpose is the restoration of Israel), and ultimately the return of Jesus Christ to set up his millenial kingdom from the New Jerusalem.

Many have heard about the calamities, wars, famines, and pestilences that Jesus mentions in the Olivet Discourse (same gospels and chapters as mentioned above), but Christ indicates greater signs to look for are deception and rampant apostasy.

2 Timothy 3 paints a picture of the characteristics of mankind (or "personkind", in case Justin Trudeau is lurking), in the latter days. Romans 1 paints a picture of a society given over to reprobation as God removes roadblocks limiting radical depravity and gives individuals and nations over to what they want, a culture without his ordained institutions. That will certainly play a factor as this present church age culminates.

Technically from a dispensation standpoint, the "last days" started at Pentecost and the birth of the New Testament Church Age and I believe will end with the pre-tribulation rapture of the saints (my eschatological sentiment is that of pre-tribulation, pre-millennialism). The last of the last days (Daniel's 70th week, found in Daniel 9) God is almost exclusively focusing on the unbelieving Jews.

Short answer - keep your eye on Israel. No other civilization has been destroyed and the occupants dispersed globally to then be reborn as a sovereign state in the same geographical location, with the same bloodlines and orthodox religion. After almost nineteen centuries on non-existence, the reemergence of the Sovereign State of Israel is greatest indicator that our redemption draweth nigh!

Wish I had more time. Great thread. I love prophesy talk and wish we had more of it here! (Would love to take a look at discuss and discuss other's views on the establishments a coming anti-Christ will set in motion - i.e. a one world ecumenical religious order, a global governance, and a singular re-centralized digital monetary system).
Thanks for posting this!
dermdoc
AG
The problem with eschatology discussions is that there are so many views by great Christian theologians that it is extremely difficult to come to grips with this fascinating subject. I tend towards the Orthodox view but give credence to N T Wright and CS Lewis and their thoughts. Not a big fan of the Left Behind guys or the relatively new views on dispensation.

I trust God to work it out and frankly do not understand the anxiety the subject of Hell brings about in people who are Christians.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
GoHomeLeg said:

TampaBayAg said:

Thanks for posting this!
My other answer is that if Billy Kennedy gets us past the Sweet 16 or Jimbo wins the SEC, then everyone better get right with GOD....ASAP!
dermdoc
AG
Amen brother! Don't be a stranger in these parts.
EmoryEagles
The end of times is "near." Whether near is according to your context or God's is what affects the timing. But more importantly than that, why does it matter?

Consider the following statement attributed to the Prophet Muhammad:

Reported by Anas bin Malik: A bedouin came to Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and said to him, "When will be the Hour (i.e., the Day of Resurrection)?" He (the Prophet (peace be upon him)) said, "What preparation have you made for it?" He said, "Only the love of Allah and His Messenger." Then Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "You will be with those whom you love."

Also, and I can't seem to verify this saying, but it's one of my favorites:

The Prophet Muhammad is made to have said, "If you are carrying a sapling to the grove for planting and the Last Hour strikes, go ahead and plant it."
RespectTheDecision
AG
I agree the greatest indicator is the fulfillment of the Fig Tree Parable (rebirth of Israel) referenced in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21.

Matthew 24:34 says "I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.".

The way I interpret it... the fig tree is Israel. And when that nation is reborn (Israel became a nation in 1948) then that generation of people will witness the end days & the return of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 90:10 tells us a generation is 70 years and at times of strength 80 years.
1948 + 70= 2018! 1948 + 80 =2028!

We know from other prophesies that Israel with sign a peace treaty with the Palestinians and that with start the 7 year countdown to Christ's return.

Prophecy is unfolding right before our eyes. The Trump administration and the United nations are pushing more than ever for a peace deal to be made.

What we have to keep a eye on is that Peace treaty between the Palestinians and Israel.

I believe we are within the final 10 years of the 2nd coming of Christ.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

We know from other prophesies that Israel with sign a peace treaty with the Palestinians and that with start the 7 year countdown to Christ's return.
What prophecy is that?

Quote:

Prophecy is unfolding right before our eyes. The Trump administration and the United nations are pushing more than ever for a peace deal to be made.
Yeah, they aren't pushing for peace. Their actions, such as moving the embassy to Jerusalem, appointing David Friedman as US Ambassador to Israel (extremely supportive of the illegal settlements) and publicly stating that they are open to Israeli annexation of major sections of the West Bank indicate that they have no desire for peace.

To be fair, I don't think the political leadership of the US, Israel or Palestine really want peace. I met many on both sides who long for peace, but the political leadership has an interest in maintaining conflict.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

What prophecy is that?

Quote:

Yeah, they aren't pushing for peace. Their actions, such as moving the embassy to Jerusalem, appointing David Friedman as US Ambassador to Israel (extremely supportive of the illegal settlements) and publicly stating that they are open to Israeli annexation of major sections of the West Bank indicate that they have no desire for peace.

To be fair, I don't think the political leadership of the US, Israel or Palestine really want peace. I met many on both sides who long for peace, but the political leadership has an interest in maintaining conflict.
We know there will never be peace before the return of Jesus Christ, but we do know there's a faux treaty signed with the anti-Christ and Israel (Daniel 9:27). It's broken after 3.5 years and from that point, it's exactly another 3.5 years until Christ returns to set up the Millennial Kingdom from Jerusalem.

PacifistAg
AG
Yes, I'm aware of that interpretation. I was more just surprised at the inclusion of Palestinians, as I had never heard that level of specificity before.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
dermdoc
AG
With all due respect folks, nobody knows. I remember Billy Graham using "prophecy" to predict that Christ would return in the sixties. And Hal Lindsay, Lahaye, etc. have been predicting the Second Coming for years. Jesus said he did not even know. And that is why I Think eschatology is a waste of time. Plus there is nothing to fear. Just live everyday like Christ is coming back. It is fun and fulfilling.
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, people have been picking out current events throughout history to point to their generation being the last. Phrases such as "we know" or "it clearly says" should probably not be used when attempting to interpret ancient apocalyptic literature through modern eyes. I don't know, nor does it really change the sense of urgency with which I live for, and witness to, Christ.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Seriously77

Will be ridiculed by nonbelievers for posting this but no one ever speaks about hell. For folks that live without hope daily, prostitutes, prisoners, homeless, drug addict, alcoholics, and the abused, satan is a constant in their lives. May Christ be with them.
dermdoc
AG
Agree.
mesocosm
AG
dermdoc said:

I have no idea but I can't wait! No more evil, cancer, tears, death, wars, depression, mental illness, etc. New bodies that never wear out, communion with the saints, what could be better?
Would get pretty boring after 10^99999999999999999999 Trillion years - don't you think?
mesocosm
AG
Seriously77 said:

Will be ridiculed by nonbelievers for posting this but no one ever speaks about hell. For folks that live without hope daily, prostitutes, prisoners, homeless, drug addict, alcoholics, and the abused, satan is a constant in their lives. May Christ be with them.
Well - to be nice the guy is a know-nothing dotard. What a load of garbage
dermdoc
AG
mesocosm said:

dermdoc said:

Would get pretty boring after 10^99999999999999999999 Trillion years - don't you think?
Disagree.

Edited to add that I will love being with my family forever. As I have said before, nobody goes to Hell unless they choose it.
Seriously77
Daniel 9:27 King James Version (KJV)

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Also the sacrifices have to start up again in the temple? If so, the temple needs to be built.

Might be awhile, might be soonest? Who knows?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Seriously77 said:

Blessed to know others listen to Charles Lawson. I love that guy!
vacating FL410
Seriously77
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

but no one knows exactly when, not even Jesus until God tells Him
Just when you think you have the Trinity figured out, someone confuses you again.

I believe in the Trinity, a little off OP but follow me here:
GOD created the sun inGenesis 1:14 yet read Genesis 1:3

Genesis 1:3 King James Version (KJV)
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Christ referred to the scriptures when referencing who he was. The new testament had not been written, he was speaking about the writings in the old testament. Below is one example.

John 8:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Trinity

Genesis1:26
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Who be our?

Trinity is GOD, Christ, and the Holy Spirit but GOD is the great I AM!

Google Christ in the old testament, pretty cool as most JEWS who converted to Christian learned of Christ thru the old scriptures.

One converted Jew found Christ in the old testament because his parents didn't allow the new testament stated:
GOD is not a Jew
Jesus was not a Christian
and
John was not a Baptist
Really some good finds on you tube on Christ in the old testament
dds08
AG
He will come like a thief in the night.

I think it's fair to say, when He comes, it will be a surprise to everyone!
dermdoc
AG
Good to hear that message. I wish our country would listen. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
agie95
AG
dds08 said:

Not correct.

But you, brothers and sisters, are not in the dark, so that the Day might overtake you like a thief.
1 Thessalonians 5:4

You don't understand Yeshua's statement about not knowing the day or the hour b/c Christianity has stripped His and the disciples words of all Hebraic meaning.
dermdoc
AG
And the fact that people can hear that message and not accept the free grace gift of Christ almost makes me think Calvinism May be on to something.
sawemoff2010
AG
agie95 said:

dds08 said:

Not correct.

But you, brothers and sisters, are not in the dark, so that the Day might overtake you like a thief.

You don't understand Yeshua's statement about not knowing the day or the hour b/c Christianity has stripped His and the disciples words of all Hebraic meaning.

I'm only a part time lurker in this forum, and I know you may have posted this before. I don't want to derail, but I'd be interested to hear what the Hebraic connotation is for Jesus not knowing the day or hour (and if you have sources, I'd appreciate that too)
dermdoc
AG
I based my statement on Mark 13:32.
dds08
AG
agie95 said:

dds08 said:

Not correct.

What is your view/opinion on Matthew 24:36-44?

Matthew 24:36-44 English Standard Version (ESV)
No One Knows That Day and Hour
36 "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. 37 For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. 42 Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

In Noah's time, the people were so oblivious to the coming flood; I'm sure some of them had been warned. yet they were incredibly lax and nonchalant about it; to the point, they didn't get on the ark and perished in the flood. I'm sure they were surprised when the rain didn't let up.

Same with Christ's coming. The believers will be in the new "ark." Everyone else, sad to say, will be caught in the new "flood."
Seriously77
What I find most interesting is Christ referenced Noah and the great flood. How can a Christian question the flood when our savior talked about it?
The majority of the flood water came up from the earth, it had never rained before Noah's time.
so that was an awakening in itself.

Christ also talked of Jonah which is another fantastic OT teaching.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.