Death. Why>

2,712 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a single individual alive today on the planet of the Earth is perfect. What you do that you could do better?
americathegreat1492
Misclicked and submitted way before ready, Not even sure title and body is comprehensible.
AgLiving06
You could have edited your OP, including title, if you hadn't replied to your own post.
americathegreat1492
Welp, guess we'll post this instead. What's the point of death? And the real, ultimate question, what's the point of suffering?
Aggiefan#1
AG
Suffering and death are a result of Mans own action and The Fall. It's an flawed existence we put ourselves in and in (I'll speak for myself) Orthodoxy the goal is to regain communion with God after Christ repaired that relationship.

Toptierag2018
The point of death is to shed out of these worn down old bodies once they run out of use. Suffering is a state of being we choose to live in but is not entirely necessary as it is only of the mind.
booboo91
Death (and pain) is the great agent of change. - Steve Jobs

Out with the old in with the new. Death is part of the circle of life. Death should not be feared when we live our lives with proper priorites.

1 Corinthians 15 50-55 This I declare, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall not all fall asleep, but we will all be changed,in an instant, in the blink of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed........"Death is swallowed up in victory! Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
mesocosm
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Welp, guess we'll post this instead. What's the point of death? And the real, ultimate question, what's the point of suffering?
It's an odd question, Why would you even expect there to be a point to death?
Solo Tetherball Champ
The Chicken Ranch
AG
booboo91 said:

Death (and pain) is the great agent of change. - Steve Jobs

Out with the old in with the new. Death is part of the circle of life. Death should not be feared when we live our lives with proper priorites.

1 Corinthians 15 50-55 This I declare, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall not all fall asleep, but we will all be changed,in an instant, in the blink of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed........"Death is swallowed up in victory! Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

Death is the great mystery of our faith. We know the promise of eternal life with God, but none of us can truly imagine it. The hardest part about our faith is the faith itself. We must believe in something we truly do not understand, and totally submit ourselves to that faith.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
There is no point. Religions are attempts to make one up.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

The point of death is to shed out of these worn down old bodies once they run out of use. Suffering is a state of being we choose to live in but is not entirely necessary as it is only of the mind.

Wait so you got to choose to be alive? Tell us more.
Toptierag2018
Marco Esquandolas said:

Toptierag2018 said:

We choose to suffer. However, It is psychologically unnecessary.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I have never been one that is able to convince those that do not believe, that the promise and love of Christ is true. I simply do not have that gift, but I do believe. While I deeply struggle with my walk of faith, and my attempt to overcome sin, I do believe. I trust the scriptures and take them literally. My prayer is that someday you too find that path. I suffer silently and with no explanation, knowing that someday I will be relieved of my burdens.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Toptierag2018 said:

We choose to suffer. However, It is psychologically unnecessary.

Someone should have told Jesus about that!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Jesus did not choose to suffer, it was required of him so that we wouldn't have to suffer.

Satan tempted him to shed his suffering, but he refused. Jesus knew his requirement and accepted his Earthly fate.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
But we don't have to suffer. Like the previous poster said, it's all just a mental construct.
Aggrad08
AG
Aggiefan#1 said:

Suffering and death are a result of Mans own action and The Fall. It's an flawed existence we put ourselves in and in (I'll speak for myself) Orthodoxy the goal is to regain communion with God after Christ repaired that relationship.

Suffering and death predate mankind by an incredible amount of time.
dermdoc
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

But we don't have to suffer. Like the previous poster said, it's all just a mental construct.
So death, illness, evil actions by people, natural disasters, etc. are all just a "mental construct"? So if we think it is not happening, it doesn't? Disagree.

No matter how rich you are, smart you are, famous you are, etc. sooner or later "life" is going to get you. And defeat you. The only One who has defeated life is Jesus Christ, you might try Him sometime.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chuckd
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Believers don't die. They simply fall asleep. Their soul is with Christ and their bodies are alive in Christ until his second coming when we will be united into a glorious body. The point of suffering for believers is refinement:

Rom. 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 and patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
biobioprof
Marco Esquandolas said:

You don't have to be religious to believe that there is a point to death. I'm an atheist and I think many people of faith and many people like me who have think it's all driven by evolution could agree on a fairly simple formulation:

It's not about you.
EmoryEagles
The answer to, "why do we die?" in most religions is often pretty unsatisfying to anybody that is not religious.

Quran 67:1-2

In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.
1. Blessed is He in whose hand is the sovereignty, and Who has power over everything.
2. He who created death and lifeto test youas to which of you is better in conduct. He is the Almighty, the Forgiving.

Toptierag2018
Marco Esquandolas said:

I've seen starving monks that weren't suffering and I've seen rich people with all the luxuries they want suffer. Jesus didn't truly suffer doing what he did, in the sense that we think of suffering, he was at peace.
Toptierag2018
dermdoc said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

So death, illness, evil actions by people, natural disasters, etc. are all just a "mental construct"? So if we think it is not happening, it doesn't? Disagree.

No matter how rich you are, smart you are, famous you are, etc. sooner or later "life" is going to get you. And defeat you. The only One who has defeated life is Jesus Christ, you might try Him sometime.

All of those things happen but they do not require you to suffer through them. People associate bad events happening as "their life" when they are only "life situations". The essence of who you are (enternal connection to God and everything in the universe) remains untouched by any perceived worldly situation.

Our egos like to convince us things happen TO us but if we accept it (whatever "it" is) as simply BEING suffering becomes unnecessary.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
dermdoc said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Obviously my sarcasm didn't come across. I think it's one of the more ridiculous assertions I've seen around here in a while.
dermdoc
AG
Sorry, I guess mine was too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dds08
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

1 Corinthians 2:14 New International Version (NIV)

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:18-23 New International Version (NIV)

18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become "fools" so that you may become wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"
20 and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile."
21 So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours,
22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future all are yours,
23 and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

~sigh~

Those of the Spirit discern things that the world (and those of the world) considers foolishness.

The world and those of this world discern things that people of the Spirit consider foolishness.

Catch 22.
DirtDiver

Quote:

These are very deep questions and I think the Bible gives the most holistic answer for the believer and the non-believer. To start with it helps to understand what death is. There are 2 main types of death we find in the scriptures and the word in these context mean 'seperation'

Physical Death: Seperation of our body from our Spirit
Spiritual Death: Seperation of our body and Spirit from a relationship/union with God

• Physical death was a result of Adam's sin as humanity was cursed.
  • it's described as an ememy that Jesus conquered Himself and will ultimately defeat in His time
  • it's not God's intended design for our bodies to be seperated form our spirit (I think that's why funerals that are not tragic still feel tragic and unnatural)
  • death is used as judgment for sin, consequences for sin
  • it's a reminder that the gift of life is good

Point of Suffering: For humanity that does not know Jesus, suffering in this life appears to be meaningless according to Paul. If Christ is did rise from the dead, then eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we die.

Point of Suffering for Christians: Suffering for doing what's good in the eyes of God will be rewarded. Nate Saint and Jim Elliott and 3 others were speared in a river. The endurance of their wives who pursued their murders with the gospel despite their personal loss I can imagine will be greatly rewarded in eternity.

stbabs
AG
Death is the end of life, period. The ONLY life we will ever experience.
Sorry, but "eternal life" is a construct of humans trying extend their own existence beyond the reaches of provable reality.
Gig em G
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

dermdoc said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

All of those things happen but they do not require you to suffer through them. People associate bad events happening as "their life" when they are only "life situations". The essence of who you are (enternal connection to God and everything in the universe) remains untouched by any perceived worldly situation.

Our egos like to convince us things happen TO us but if we accept it (whatever "it" is) as simply BEING suffering becomes unnecessary.

Well said.

It's a hard lesson to learn, and I sure as hell don't see it all the time, but I believe this is the truth.
swimmerbabe11
stbabs said:

Death is the end of life, period. The ONLY life we will ever experience.
Sorry, but "eternal life" is a construct of humans trying extend their own existence beyond the reaches of provable reality.

Why do you apologize for your faith?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.