RIP Billy Graham

2,163 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
Dad-O-Lot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Requiem en Pace

May the souls of the faithful departed through the Mercy of God Rest in Peace
spadilly
S
dermdoc
AG
Enjoy Heaven Dr. Graham! I can picture the Lord with open arms welcoming him home with "Well done my good and faithful servant".
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
A sad day for us. A glorious day for him. Well done, brother.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Frok
AG
A truly amazing life. I read his biography years ago and it was just amazing the amount of famous people he crossed paths with and influenced.

Rockdoc
AG
I'm old and grew up listening to him, but to the younger folks who haven't listened to any of his sermons, I urge you to listen to some from his heyday. Life changing to me. He could reach me when others couldn't.
dermdoc
AG
Agree. Much like Paul, he preached the simple theology of Christ and how belief in Him gave eternal life.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
For reasons perhaps only known to God, he left him here in poor health for many years. Perhaps I should take heart in what it means to wait patiently for a promotion.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Gomer95
AG
It was through him that I first had the light bulb come on in my head about what Christ had done for us and for me in particular. I worked at A&M back in '98 after graduating Class of '95 and was 25 years old and I thought myself a Christian but I had zero personal relationship with the Lord and was always afraid of dying and being unsure where I would end up. Other than knowing that "Jesus died on a cross for our sins", I never had understood it all. I used to think Billy Graham was a money grubbing televangelist like Kenneth Copeland or Benny Hinn and I specifically remember pointing the remote at him to change the channel and saying "Take that Billy Graham.". My boss at the time was a good friend of mine and he heard me say something negative about Dr. Graham and he said "You IDIOT Billy Graham is NOT like those other fake preachers, he is COOL. You should look at his website!".

So I looked at the Billy Graham website and read a lot of Frequently Asked Questions which answered a LOT of my questions that I never asked anyone and what had taken me 25 years to not understand about Jesus was relayed to me in one small paragraph on Billy Graham's website. I read that Jesus had died on the cross for MY sins, past, present, and future, and that it wasn't enough to intellectually believe that but that if I repented and turned from my sins and asked Jesus to come into my heart and life and be my Lord and Savior through a prayer of Faith, I would be forgiven of my sins and have eternal life. I remember going "OH that's what that all means!" Two weeks later I accepted Christ during my nightly prayers after hearing the Gospel again from Steve Farrar at a Men's marriage conference called Compass '98 in Reed Arena with Rick Rigsby.

After becoming a Christian or "being saved", I also credit Billy Graham with a lot of my discipleship because in addition to reading the Bible, I read a lot of his books and they helped me grow in my walk with Christ. As a result of reading his website more, I realized my then fiance wasn't a Christian either and 2 months later she came to Christ. We were married in 1998 and we both took a vacation to Nashville, Tennessee in 2000 to see Billy Graham in person at a crusade. We passed a billboard that advertised "Come see the original music city miracle" which was a play on the Titans miracle ending to win a game the year before. Then things came full circle when he did his last crusade in the DFW metroplex and I was able to be a counselor at his crusade in the old Texas Stadium.

So a guy that used to change the channel on Billy Graham while smarting off had his life changed for ALL eternity by going to Heaven when I die and I will be forever grateful to Dr. Graham for sharing the Gospel and obviously I'm even MORE grateful for Jesus who saved me, not Billy Graham. I'll see him in Heaven to tell him this story, not because he's "Billy Graham", but because he was a sinner like I am in need of a Savior, and he chose Jesus a long time ago to be his Savior. Thanks and God Bless Billy Graham.
dermdoc
AG
Great story!
Rockdoc
AG
Thanks for sharing.
94chem
Quote:

I'll see him in Heaven to tell him this story, not because he's "Billy Graham", but because he was a sinner like I am in need of a Savior, and he chose Jesus a long time ago to be his Savior.
It seemed like the people who needed Jesus the most would give the highest praise to Billy Graham. It's almost as if by putting him on a pedestal they could avoid the Jesus he was always pointing to. Yes, he had the respect of many people in the world. But is wasn't Billy Graham that he wanted to be honored.

At his passing, I imagine it will be the Larry Kings, Bill Clintons, and Joe Namaths of the world who will have the most wonderful things to say about him.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Rockdoc
AG
Maybe my mind was resisting to listen to others, but he was really the only one that could put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. Our society longs for his replacement.
Thaddeus73
AG
I saw him at the Alamodome back in the 1980's....Great man, great message....He will be missed...
jkag89
Aggrad08
AG
99 years old! I honestly didn't think he was still alive. Long run.
Texaggie7nine
Though I am no longer really a believer. Billy is one of the few leaders that I truly believe the world is a better place because of. I think Joel is getting there as well.
7nine
The Debt
Texaggie7nine said:

Though I am no longer really a believer. Billy is one of the few leaders that I truly believe the world is a better place because of. I think Joel is getting there as well.

Tramp96
Texaggie7nine said:

Joel who?

Surely you don't mean Joel Osteen. That false prophet doesn't even preach the Gospel of Christ or the message of the Cross. He preaches a false gospel and should never be mentioned in the same breath with Rev. Graham.
swimmerbabe11
I do think the popularity of people like Graham probably lead to the popularity of people like Osteen

Like Nirvana leading to a lot of the music of the later 90s
Texaggie7nine
Tramp96 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Joel who?

Surely you don't mean Joel Osteen. That false prophet doesn't even preach the Gospel of Christ or the message of the Cross. He preaches a false gospel and should never be mentioned in the same breath with Rev. Graham.

They both preach from a made up book. But the good they do in this world matter.

If I have kids, I'm probably going back to lakewood.
7nine
southcsag
To honor Rev. Graham every church service in America this Sunday should close with the singing of "Just as I Am"
Doc Daneeka
Both Billy Graham and RC Sproul recently passed. Both great leaders of the faith
94chem
At the funeral today, I was reminded of Phil. 1:15-18. I'm sure Rev. Graham and Saint Paul were rejoicing to hear the gospel proclaimed by Donald Trump, who perhaps today became the greatest evangelist of this decade.
swimmerbabe11
http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/28/the-casket-carrying-billy-graham-has-a-beautiful-humble-story/

Came across this about his casket.. was made by prisoners. I think it is very pretty.

Jim Hogg is angry
AG

Around the the ~3:47:00 mark Franklin Graham starts preaching the gospel. He spends the next several minutes speaking on judgement, redemption, heaven, hell, the authority of scripture, repentance, salvation by grace alone, through faith alone in the exclusivity of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Thousands (including President Trump) were in attendance and millions watched online. Soli Deo Gloria!
Gomer95
AG
That was awesome! Thanks for posting that!
94chem
Watched it on TBN tonight. It was much better than the Aggie baseball game.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks for that Tampa. Sitting in a Frisco hotel room after watching the Ag baseball team lose and that video made my day. Again thanks.

And edited to add how wonderful the simple message of the Gospel is when it is not complicated by men and their theology.
MidTnAg
AG
I am not a religious person but I've always loved listening to Reverend Billy Graham. His sermons were so moving. They were always full of kindness, compassion, love. Just positive things about life and how we should live and treat each other.

We lived in a small rural farmhouse in Central Texas and I can remember that in the 1950s, we frequently listen on our radio to his sermons and the singing of his sidekick George Beverly Shea. We especially love the song "How Great Thou Art".

His sermons and the singing just made you feel so warm inside. He was an incredible person and made a more positive influence on others worldwide than any other person in the 20th century.
94chem
Quote:

I am not a religious person but I've always loved listening to Reverend Billy Graham.
Billy Graham would have someone very special he'd like to tell you about.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.