The Lord, His followers and punishment

787 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was a thread on here months ago where it was put up to debate as to whether or not the Lord punishes his followers or not.

There were some who even said, the Lord does not discipline His followers. He does not punish his followers for sin, wrongdoing. If this is true, how does one explain 1 Samuel 25; David, Abigail and Nabal?

There are plenty of other examples. The example above just seems to "hit the nail on the coffin."

People reap what they sow, whether they believe in God or not. Whether they are his followers or not.

Every action has a consequence; whether the consequence is good, bad or favorable/infavorable is irrelevant.
Aggie4Life02
AG
There is a difference between temporal punishment and eternal punishment.

God most definitely punishes sin.
dds08
AG
Some of their arguments were actually quite compelling. I listened and gave their arguments consideration.

I mean, I started questing my own knowledge on the issue.

I give the arguments people present on this board a floor, consideration, whether or not I initially agree with them. I try to be open minded or at least be mindful of the position others are in. (It's respectful and kind.) Perhaps this makes me a tad bit gullible.

I cannot believe I nearly fell for it though.
dds08
AG
Well of course the Lord is not going to punish His followers for being sinners.

Jesus sacrificed Himself so that we may have salvation. He was the perfect sacrifice. He died for all sin, past, present and future.

It would be foolish of any christian to believe that they will live consequence-free lives from now to the day Jesus comes back. There is forgiveness of sin, however, imperviousness to consequences is nonexistent/impossible.
dds08
AG
The Lord rewards those who are obedient and punishes those who are disobedient.

Leviticus 26.
dds08
AG
The Lord sure was mad at the Israelites in Exodus 33.

Quote:

Exodus 33:1-6 New International Version (NIV)

33 Then the Lord said to Moses, "Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, 'I will give it to your descendants.' 2 I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 3 Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way."
4 When the people heard these distressing words, they began to mourn and no one put on any ornaments. 5 For the Lord had said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites, 'You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.'" 6 So the Israelites stripped off their ornaments at Mount Horeb.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.