Prayer dynamics

1,559 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive those who have trespassed against us."

In other words.

Although I may be reluctant to forgive Person(s) A for their sin/wrong/error/mistake (however heinous or malevolent it may be), I realize that I am just as much a sinner as them and therefore just as deserving of being thrown into the pit of hell, justifiably, however I know/believe in/serve the Heavenly Father/Spirit/Son who is graceful, merciful and died for all sins a long time ago and will forgive me for my sins no matter how heinous or severe they are.

Moreover we serve the God of Vengeance. He makes all wrongs right eventually outside of our actions/hopes/wishes/thoughts.

It's amazing how Jesus thought to put this clause in the Lord's prayer when A: He had never sinned and B: He didn't need forgiveness of sins. He knew we would need it in there for our benefit as sinners.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I HAVe always thought of this portion in two dynamics.

1st is a teaching to the person praying to remeber to forgive others wholly as that is how God has forgiven us

2nd as a warning/penance. To call on God to forgive the person praying as they have forgiven others... in other words the person saying these words should better have completely forgiven others, otherwise they are asking God to only forgive them in a manner equal to the forgiveness they give. A scary thought and a very powerful prayer that we shouldnt say lightly.
dds08
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

I HAVe always thought of this portion in two dynamics.

1st is a teaching to the person praying to remeber to forgive others wholly as that is how God has forgiven us

2nd as a warning/penance. To call on God to forgive the person praying as they have forgiven others... in other words the person saying these words should better have completely forgiven others, otherwise they are asking God to only forgive them in a manner equal to the forgiveness they give. A scary thought and a very powerful prayer that we shouldnt say lightly.
+1

There was a time I could understand how people could say, " I could never forgive X person for this or that," but now that I have a better understanding of forgiveness, I don't understand how they say it.

Unbeknownst to them, they are just shooting themselves in the foot. They are walking into a trap of Satan when they do this; doing exactly what he would have them to do. Satan doesn't want anyone to forgive anybody, for anything! He would rather the two parties "off" with (destroy) each other. Not to mention the root of bitterness that goes with unforgiveness. It's just shooting oneself in the foot all the way around.

Now, how would the Lord have you approach the situation? Forgive immediately and pray/hope/believe justice will come/prevail and believe He is a God who avenges (Psalm 94).

I see and read about all those girls, that were taken advantage of by that evil doctor employed by the USA Girls Gymnast team; all the women who were taken advantage of by Hollywood Executives and people in high places, and think to myself:

"I hope all those female souls can find it within their hearts to forgive those men, for their own benefit; not the perpetrating scumbag men's benefit"

Disclaimer: There was a time I was a prisoner to bitterness.
swimmerbabe11
http://catechism.cph.org/en/lords-prayer.html
Quote:

The Fifth Petition
And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
What does this mean? We pray in this petition that our Father in heaven would not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that He would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. So we too will sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us.

Also, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://wmpl.org/filed/resources/public/Literature/ASimpleWaytoPray.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjXkJT7oKzaAhVju1kKHWxGAPoQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3cVEC98ijS51vGGa7nEV6F

This is gorgeous. I love this so much.

dds08
AG
So when we ask the Lord for the forgiveness of our sins, how long does it take the Lord to forgive you and pronounce you forgiven?

Is it instantaneous?

Is the way it works more so like Jesus said:

Quote:

Matthew 18:21-22 King James Version (KJV)
21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Given the above, is it fair to say the Lord freely forgives without hesitation, in a rather timely manner, without delay?

Perhaps the timing around it is of lesser importance to the grand scheme of things; the fact that he will ultimately forgive you.

Christ died for all our sins past, present, and future.

As humans, you cannot deny the mystery around it all. How does one know they are forgiven after they have asketh for forgiveness? It requires faith to believe you're ultimately forgiven. God isn't gonna just appear out of the clear blue and pronounce you forgiven. You could say he did it, in a way, through Christ though.

Edit: IMHO, Asking for forgiveness without sincerity, and without remorse just defeats the entire purpose of even asking for forgiveness, to begin with.
dds08
AG
There must be power in asking for forgiveness; especially asking for forgiveness from the Lord.

It takes a lot for one to humble themselves and admit they are/were wrong. It takes even more strength to repent and be sincere about it all.

I cannot imagine one going through life sparsely apologizing or asking for forgiveness.

It stunts their growth!

It's not so much if or when you will be forgiven for wrongs done, but moreso the act of doing it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.