Why don't evangelicals care about immoral behavior by elected officials anymore?

6,046 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
Marco Esquandolas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More Americans Say Personal Immorality Not Disqualifying for Elected Officials

https://www.prri.org/research/prri-brookings-oct-19-poll-politics-election-clinton-double-digit-lead-trump/

Quote:

Compared to 2011, Americans today are more likely to say elected officials can still perform their public duties in an ethical manner even if they have committed immoral personal acts. More than six in ten (61%) Americans say immoral personal behavior does not preclude public officials from carrying out their public or professional duties with honesty and integrity; only 29 percent of the public disagree. In 2011, the public was much more divided over the connection between personal behavior and professional ethics. Forty-four percent of Americans said public officials could still conduct themselves honorably in their professional duties even if they had engaged in immoral behavior in their personal life; an equal number (44%) of Americans disagreed.

Across the political spectrum, Americans today are less likely to believe personal transgressions prevent public officials from performing their duties well. Seven in ten (70%) Republicans and more than six in ten Democrats (61%) and independents (63%) say public officials can behave ethically in their professional roles even if they acted immorally in their personal life. Notably, in 2011 only 36% of Republicans agreed, compared to nearly half of Democrats (49%) and independents (46%).

No group has shifted their position more dramatically than white evangelical Protestants. More than seven in ten (72%) white evangelical Protestants say an elected official can behave ethically even if they have committed transgressions in their personal lifea 42-point jump from 2011, when only 30 % of white evangelical Protestants said the same. Roughly six in ten white mainline Protestants (60%) and Catholics (58%) also believe elected officials can behave honestly and ethically in their public roles regardless of their personal behavior. In 2011, only about four in ten white mainline Protestants (38%) and Catholics (42%) held this view. Notably, religiously unaffiliated Americans have remained constant in their views; six in ten (60%) believe elected officials who behave immorally in their personal lives can still perform their duties with integrity, compared to 63% in 2011.

The data are clear. Why the change?
Sapper Redux
Because political power has become more important to them than the means to get it.
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
AstroAg17 said:

What kind of moron would believe that it's impossible for someone to bang hookers and still be good at their job? Total non-sequitur right?

Especially when the job they're promising to do is to prevent people from banging hookers.
AGC
AG
It's almost like screaming separation of church and state has given non-theists why they actually want.
PacifistAg
AG
Buying into Satan's temptation that if we just bow to him, then we can control the kingdoms of this world has led to tribalism and a lust for power.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Buying into Satan's temptation that if we just bow to him, then we can control the kingdoms of this world has led to tribalism and a lust for power.

What?
schmendeler
AG
AGC said:

It's almost like screaming separation of church and state has given non-theists why they actually want.

I don't think you understand the concept based on that terrible discussion point.
PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

What?
I think we've bought into Satan's lie that we can use the power of the state to create a Christian society. It's led to tribalism (my team vs your team). It's led to this lust for power, to the point that many don't see how faith is being used to pander and manipulate in order to attain power for the right team.
Aggie4Life02
AG
For the same reason that most Catholics don't care about abortion.
Martin Q. Blank
Let's take a texags R&P poll:
Can an elected official behave honestly and ethically in their public roles regardless of their personal behavior?
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

What?
I think we've bought into Satan's lie that we can use the power of the state to create a Christian society. It's led to tribalism (my team vs your team). It's led to this lust for power, to the point that many don't see how faith is being used to pander and manipulate in order to attain power for the right team.

I don't see anyone in my circle advocating for the use of the state to create a Christian society. I see lots of people who are voting for the ones that are most likely to leave them alone to live their lives as christians in peace. To paraphrase our perspective on Trump: "I can't spare this man, he fights!"

I have no issue if the people leading the charge for individual liberty (I consider myself a "soft" libertarian) are atheists, evangelicals, jewish, or a host of other identities. What concerns me is if they are actually consistent in the application of our shared ideologies. I've had my fill of co-workers, politicians, contractors who wear their christian identity on their sleeve but fail when it comes time to follow through on their work, regardless of personal failings or hypocrisy.

Frok
AG
I love how the article points out "white" evangelical Christians. This is red team vs blue team and nothing more.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
[We aren't going to allow terms like that towards any race. You are on a break. -Staff]
Martin Q. Blank
Did they do a survey of Chinese Rastafarians? I'd like to see how their views have changed in the past 5 years.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Did they do a survey of Chinese Rastafarians? I'd like to see how their views have changed in the past 5 years.

Answer the question u dirty troll
PacifistAg
AG
It is an interesting shift. I remember the 90's where people screamed "character counts" by the same people who seem to no longer consider that to be of value in the people they want leading them.
Martin Q. Blank
Marco Esquandolas said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Answer the question u dirty troll
Yes, I think an elected official can behave honestly and ethically in their public roles regardless of their personal behavior. I think there is a correlation, but it is possible. I can behave honestly and ethically at work while being a bad husband, father, neighbor, etc.

What do you think?
Marco Esquandolas
AG
RetiredAg said:

Satan told Jesus he could have power over the entire Earth and Jesus said nah bro I'm good.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Can an elected official behave honestly and ethically in their public roles regardless of their personal behavior?

I certainly agree that an elected official can be honest and ethical at their job while being the opposite in their own personal lives.

I think the more relevant question may be: Should we care about the honesty and integrity of elected officials in their personal lives? It seems that maybe this is the heart of the shift described in the article.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I certainly agree that an elected official can be honest and ethical at their job while being the opposite in their own personal lives.

I think the more relevant question may be: Should we care about the honesty and integrity of elected officials in their personal lives? It seems that maybe this is the heart of the shift described in the article.

*can* is the operative word here. based on the polling results, it seems most Americans basically agree with that position. Evangelicals are also in line with this trend, but even more so than the rest of us. The question is why evangelicals used to think differently, and why so many suddenly don't anymore.
swimmerbabe11
I read this the other day and couldn't believe I hadn't seen it pointed out elsewhere

Frok
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Frok said:

I love how the article points out "white" evangelical Christians. This is red team vs blue team and nothing more.

Sure bud. Anything to avoid answering the question. Why do you think WHITE CRACKER-ASS evangelicals dont care about the morality of elected officials compared to 6 years ago? Thats a really quick change.

Same reason why you now care, red team vs blue team.

It's easier to look past errors of someone on your team than someone on the other team. The guy on the other team is always way worse.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Frok said:

Sure bud. Anything to avoid answering the question. Why do you think WHITE CRACKER-ASS evangelicals dont care about the morality of elected officials compared to 6 years ago? Thats a really quick change.

Same reason why you now care, red team vs blue team
Is it though? This seems to be something that's only really been made obvious in the last election. Yes, I agree that tribalism is at play here in the shifting views described in the OP, but pointing out this shift in views is a response to the shift, not some red team vs blue team fight.
Martin Q. Blank
Marco Esquandolas said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

*can* is the operative word here. based on the polling results, it seems most Americans basically agree with that position. Evangelicals are also in line with this trend, but even more so than the rest of us. The question is why evangelicals used to think differently, and why so many suddenly don't anymore.
Maybe a few of the officials they elected into office are honest and ethical at their job, but not in their personal life. So they realized, along with religiously unaffiliated Americans, that it is possible.

What do you think?
Frok
AG
Why is the last election important? Both candidates were immoral people. Why only focus on one? (In response to RA)
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Why is the last election important? Both candidates were immoral people. Why only focus on one? (In response to RA)
In previous elections, Republicans ran people that were widely considered to be moral. The immorality of the other side was often used as a rallying point. It's in the last election where you see the shift.
Martin Q. Blank
kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I think we should care as I think there is a correlation. "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much."

But that wasn't the poll. And the "heart" of the poll is only what the author makes it (which seems to have something to do with white evangelical Christians). Not the poll question itself.
Frok
AG
In regards to Trump I think he is a direct response to the left's constant attack on middle America. Trump capitalized and struck a chord with these people. Since many of these people had been criticized for their culture and ignored by politicians they were able to look past Trump's immoral lifestyle in order to have someone on their team be in charge. It made it easier considering the other candidate also had many reasons to dislike her.

In present America we are so divided that which team you are on is more important than anything else. It's not right. It's something Christians need to try hard to avoid. But it's not unique to evangelicals. This describes most of us right now.
schmendeler
AG
Frok said:

In regards to Trump I think he is a direct response to the left's constant attack on middle America. Trump capitalized and struck a chord with these people. Since many of these people had been criticized for their culture and ignored by politicians they were able to look past Trump's immoral lifestyle in order to have someone on their team be in charge. It made it easier considering the other candidate also had many reasons to dislike her.

In present America we are so divided that which team you are on is more important than anything else. It's not right. It's something Christians need to try hard to avoid. But it's not unique to evangelicals. This describes most of us right now.
they were willing to make a deal with the devil, in other words.
Star Wars Memes Only
Martin Q. Blank said:

I think we should care as I think there is a correlation. "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.

I don't see pigs flying outside my window. Nor do I hear a fat lady singing. Yet here I am agreeing with you. Weird.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

I'm reminded of what Spurgeon said, "of two evils, choose neither". But, we aren't even talking about a one-time concession simply to win an election. We're seeing certain demographic groups of Christians that have completely flipped on their stance of "character counts". Character no longer counts if it means winning power. That's a position that no Christian should ever hold.
AGC
AG
Frok said:

I'm sympathetic to your explanation. We aren't asking ourselves about this in the church as a whole or treating it as a crisis facing evangelicalism. We're simply seeing people upset that white evangelicals specifically didn't abandon trump in the face of two incredibly low character individuals, consequently delivering the election to HRC. It's another attempt at shaming and guilting people into voting differently, rather than attempting to understand why they voted that way. Guilt by association as it were.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

We're simply seeing people upset that white evangelicals specifically didn't abandon trump in the face of two incredibly low character individuals, consequently delivering the election to HRC. It's another attempt at shaming and guilting people into voting differently, rather than attempting to understand why they voted that way. Guilt by association as it were.
But, as followers of Christ, our job is not to pick the lesser of two evils. Ours is not a "lesser of two evils" faith. Our job is to be a witness to His Kingdom here and now. Our job is to be the hands and feet of Christ now. We damage that witness when we champion those whose worldview is incompatible with His Kingdom. We, the church, doesn't need political power to influence our society. I couldn't care less who won out of Trump or HRC, as they both represent the world's way, not Christ's.

We have no obligation to pick sides between two worldviews that are antichrist. I'd argue we have an obligation to reject both.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.