Is the Unitarian Universalist Church Christian? (R)

694 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
The Chicken Ranch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A very distant cousin of mine died recently and the funeral was there. I've never considered them Christian, but I was wondering how they view themselves and how others view them.
jkag89
As a group belief, no. As I understand it the only real "tenet" is that members are free to find their own path to truth and meaning so I assume the beliefs of individual Unitarian Universalists range far and wide including many accepting the teachings of Christ but not likely adhering to a traditional/orthodox view.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
That's kind of my impression, that it is a church for people that are essentially agnostic. But again, I cannot base that on any real knowledge.
Sapper Redux
No, they aren't Christian, though they emerged from Christian groups. It's an organization that makes no final claims about metaphysics and presents numerous philosophical perspectives on issues. It's up to the individual to decide what they hold to.
craigernaught
AG
The Unitarian Universal Association is not Christian, but many UU's claim to be UU Christians, along with being UU Buddhists or UU atheists or whatever. Whether or not UU Christians actually are Christian depends on how you define the term.

If they are going to be somewhat consistent with their Unitarian background, orthodox Christians would not define UU Christians as Christian as they would deny the Trinity, or at the very least, orthodox Christians would call them heterodox. The style and structure of their churches and services obviously look like western, Protestant churches so you could easily call them "culturally Christian". If you go to a UU church dominated by UU Christians, especially during Christian holidays, it's going to feel a lot like a very liberal Christian denomination. They will likely read from the bible and sing Christian hymns.

Although they are non-creedal, they have 7 Principles which you can read about here: https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/principles
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.