The Trolley Problem

4,067 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Eliminatus
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
an attempt at creating an experiment to mimic a real life scenario.

Quote:

Would you reroute a train to run over one person to prevent it from running over five others? In the classic "Trolley Problem" survey, most people say they would. But I wanted to test what people would actually do in a real-life situation. In the world's first realistic simulation of this controversial moral dilemma, unsuspecting subjects will be forced to make what they believe is a life-or-death decision.
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
Fake. They're all actors.
Star Wars Memes Only
Pretty cool video, thanks for sharing.
dds08
AG
Take the remote and throw it out the window.
The gentleman on Batman threw the switch away.
Sapper Redux
Do they give you a chance to push a fat man onto the track as well?
schmendeler
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Like a speed bump?
Sapper Redux
schmendeler said:

Dr. Watson said:

Like a speed bump?

That's the next part of the problem. If you're willing to throw a switch that diverts the trolley and kills one person instead of five, are you willing to push a man off a bridge onto the tracks to stop the trolley and save five people?
schmendeler
AG
I see. Yeah I'm not sold on the idea of the "greater good" in this exercise.
commando2004
AG
What about the Monty Hall Trolley Problem?
DirtDiver
I really enjoyed the video.

Thinking about and discussing the reasons for making the choices in a 'moral dilemma' scenario is interesting and I agree that you get to learn a lot about a person by their thought process. Have you ever thought about what makes a 'moral dilemma' a moral dilemma?

It's my opinion that the assumptions behind what makes the dilemma a delimma better support one worldview over another.
Post removed:
by user
TRADUCTOR
will you murder someone or not, simple
bmks270
AG
You don't push someone else in front of the trolley, you would toss yourself in front of the trolley.

About throwing the switch, I don't think there is a right answer.
Post removed:
by user
Saxsoon
AG
Star Wars Memes Only
law-apt-3g said:

More or less the way I see it too. I think the fat man part of this execise really emphasizes that point.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Yet in this scenario not-murdering someone is not an option. Assuming we define all killing as murder.
Star Wars Memes Only
You not killing someone through inaction, though.
Zobel
AG
The trolley problem is just a defacto judgment of utilitarianism.
DirtDiver

Quote:

You not killing someone through inaction, though.

I think there would be legal absolution in this scenario however someone is dying through action or inaction and the choice is in the hands of the controller. Through inaction a person would be choosing the people on Track 1 to die. Through action the person would be choosing the person on track 2 to die.

Thinking deeper, what makes this experiment a moral dilemma in the first place?

NonReg85
AG
Is it that time again already? This shows up on this forum every few years.
Ulrich
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
TRADUCTOR
there is one choice, do your job or murder someone. The moral dilemma is any other choice.
Buck O Five
AG
As seen on The Good Place season 2
DirtDiver
Quote:

Thinking deeper, what makes this experiment a moral dilemma in the first place?
Human life has objective value - If it didn't would this experiement work?
Post removed:
by user
DirtDiver

Quote:

Can you explain your thought process there? I don't get it.

2 competing schools of thought:
A. Humanity is the result of a unguided, uncreated, unexplainable accident that occured in space billions of years ago.
B. Humanity is created by God in the image of God and has purpose and value.

This experiment only works if humanity has objective value. Which of the two options above makes the best case for humanity having objective value?
schmendeler
AG
DirtDiver said:

This experiment only works if humanity has objective value.
why do you say this?
Post removed:
by user
DirtDiver
Quote:

why do you say this?

If humanity does not have objective value then there's no dliemma. Who cares is a train smashes people?
If humanity does not have objective value then one would not be able to pull random people off of the street to participate in the experiment.

The experiment assumes objective value and only works due to humanity having objective value.

Quote:

Not an accurate description of the big bang?
C'mon Astro. You are free to clarify my desciption of the Big Bang, but it wouldn't be helpful to the conversation. I think I've made the contrast clear between the 2 competing views so that a common person that can read can understand. One view being no God - bunch of stuff happened a long time ago and was uncaused, unguided, matter and energy just reacting producing order, math, logic personalities, emotion, character, vs God creating the universe.
Star Wars Memes Only
To me it seems quite the contrary: regardless of whether or not humanity has objective value, it is the experimental subect's subjective values that determines the outcome of the experiment.
schmendeler
AG
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

why do you say this?

If humanity does not have objective value then there's no dliemma. Who cares is a train smashes people?
If humanity does not have objective value then one would not be able to pull random people off of the street to participate in the experiment.

The experiment assumes objective value and only works due to humanity having objective value.

I care about human life. Most people do. That's why it's an interesting thought experiment. Human life possibly having no value to the universe as a whole doesn't really matter for this to be something worthwhile to consider.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Human life possibly having no value to the universe as a whole doesn't really matter for this to be something worthwhile to consider.
Well we should really figure this out before considering what the right answer to the trolley problem is.
schmendeler
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Human life possibly having no value to the universe as a whole doesn't really matter for this to be something worthwhile to consider.
Well we should really figure this out before considering what the right answer to the trolley problem is.
I prayed about it and it was revealed to me that my thoughts on it are correct.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.