Joseph, you are the father!

1,315 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Poor Joseph has been getting a bad rap lately and not of his fault.

In response to the accusations against Roy Moore of sexual misconduct with minors, Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler defended Moore saying "Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus." "There's just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual."

So Ziegler is saying that since Joseph and Mary had sex to have Jesus, Moore isn't a bad guy. Lot's of issues, but of importance here is that Scripture is clear that Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus, nor did he had sexual relations with Mary prior to the birth of Jesus.

However, even if they had, or if the Catholic belief of Mary the Ever Virgin is incorrect, and after Mary gave birth, they had marital relations, none of that justifies Moore taking advantage of women who did not consent to his actions or that the law states are not of the age of consent.

Then at the lighting of the National Christmas Tree, President Trump had the following to say.

Newsweek got upset about him saying that Joseph was the father and had an article about people being upset about it titled OH, GOD! DONALD TRUMP DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE BECAUSE JESUS ISN'T JOSEPH'S SON. http://www.newsweek.com/trump-doesnt-understand-bible-because-jesus-isnt-josephs-son-728186

I cannot say what Trump believes about the birth of Jesus. He has had some issues in the part with Biblical truths, such as not asking God for forgiveness, and the Two Corinthians incident. But here, let's look at Joseph the father.

In just about every nativity seen, there is at a minimum, a baby, a woman, and a man. From there we add in angels, shepherds, animals, wise men, etc.. But, other than perhaps icons of Mary, Mother of God holding the Christ child, just about every nativity includes a man. That man being Joseph.

Even my cheap nativity scene from LuLu has Joseph in it.

So can we call Joseph the father?

Not biologically. Matthew and Luke both record that the child isn't biologically Joseph's. But he is the stepfather of Jesus.

Matthew records the dream that Joseph had where he is told of Jesus. Joseph is told that the child is of God and that he is to still marry Mary and to raise the child. Joseph does. Joseph takes a child that is not biologically his and raises him as his own.

How do we know he raised him as his own? Because everyone thought that Jesus was Joseph's.

Nowhere is it recorded that Jesus was referred to as "the ******* child of Mary." Instead, we find "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know?" and "Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?". We find that everyone thought he was the son of Joseph, because Joseph raised him as his son. Jesus was raised as a son by a father. Joseph served as the earthly father of Jesus. He was a stepfather, but still a father.

With my own stepchildren, I always find joy when someone says they see the family resemblance in them or seem surprised to learn they are stepchildren. To me, it means I am raising them not as stepchildren, but as my children. Because they are my children and I am their dad.

Now Joseph had the same issue many steddad's face, not getting the title Dad.

Luke records that when Jesus was 12, they were on their annual trip to Jerusalem for the Passover. After the festival when they were returning home, Joseph and Mary both thought the other one had Jesus, so it wasn't until the next day they realize he is missing. They find him in the temple talking to the teachers. Mary gets on to Jesus and says that he has worried his mom and dad. He says back to her, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" Now, if Joseph was anything like me, this is where he said "boy, I raised you, I put a roof over your head, food on the table..." Luke just says they didn't understand what Jesus meant.

But do remember stepdads at Christmas. Not just because there is one in your nativity scene, but because it can be hard. Many stepdads will not have their children with them on Christmas because of custody plans. And there is always the issue of not getting the title Dad.

If you have a stepdad, you're in good company, Jesus had one too. If you are a stepdad, you're in good company, Joseph was one too. Love your children in a way that they are your children and you are their dad, because stepdads are dads and our stepchildren are our children.

And finally, Mercy Me's Joseph's Lullaby
Martin Q. Blank
That is a really long post.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

DONALD TRUMP DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE BECAUSE JESUS ISN'T JOSEPH'S SON
The bold part is true, but not because of the Joseph comment.
Sapper Redux
Is he saying everyone should celebrate Christmas because Jesus was important to history? I don't quite get what he's going for.
Mort Rainey
Two Corinthians

Also write a short story next time
DirtDiver
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your post. Yes, Joesph was the adoptive father. When reading the account one also realizes that Mary and Joseph both were very much aware of 'natural law' given their reactions and words.

And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; 33 and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end." 34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin?"

when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. 19 And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

Flagged... seriously??. This isn't the general board. Some snark is accepted by most here but this is over board.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Nice post OP. the Holy family is a great representation of God's love for us as well. Just as Joseph loved Christ as his own, so are loved but God and adopted into his family.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.