Question for christians

1,795 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honest question, please keep it civil.

Have seen many requests for prayers, intervention etc. What justification do you use for the lack of a prayer being granted? For the appearance that one is granted, one is not?(football games etc).

Just a curiousity, and a need to take a break from the vitriol of the politics board.
AGC
AG
God isn't a genie?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
I believe God is absolutely sovereign and according to Isaiah 46:10, he's declared the "end from the beginning". That being said, we're commanded to pray without ceasing in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (as paradoxical as it might sound).

I do know sin inhibits us from walking in God's perfect will, and whenever we repent and confess such iniquity, we are restored in fellowship with God and hence better able to pray for HIS will to be done and our very discernment in knowing what to ask for increases. (I believe it's paramount to realize prayer is less about us changing God, and more about our being humbled, dependent, faithful and positioned to reliance on God and His timing - for HIS honor and HIS glory!).

Here are some passages of scripture that have helped me immensely in my prayer life:

• And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him (1 John 5:14-15)
  • Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
    And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose (Romans 8:26-28)
  • Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts (James 4:2-3)

So. according to the above passages of scripture God hears our prayers and answers as we pray according to HIS will. Whenever we don't know exactly what to pray, but we're repentant and humbled, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and petitions our needs ad burdens before the Throne of Grace, which culminates every situation for a greater good and higher purpose. And lastly, whenever we pray selfishly, without faith, or there's sin inhabiting our heart, we should not expect God to answer our prayer or give us a peacefulness as we await his response / guidance / promptings via the Holy Spirit.

Ag_of_08
AG
AGC said:

God isn't a genie?
Thank you for the laugh

And tampa thank you for the good response.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

HWhat justification do you use for the lack of a prayer being granted? For the appearance that one is granted, one is not?(football games etc).
It's not up to me.

God isn't a rich uncle, or as another poster said, a genie.

I never feel the need to justify the lack of a prayer being granted.

A trite response would be, "God answers all prayers, just sometimes the answer is 'no'."

To believe that prayers must always "work", or that if you do it with the "right" attitude, or belief that it will be granted is superstition.

I don't know how all things ultimately fit together in the history of the cosmos, but God does. Some things I believe ultimately matter and others don't. If it matters, then I don't think any amount of prayer would change it. If it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, then perhaps it will change.

Bottom line, I don't really know.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dds08
AG
This is a tough question.

The Lord knows what we need. We must have faith that He will give us what we need. This is hard!

Having faith and being patient at times is hard.

Imagine the children of Israel at the beginning of their mass exodus out of Egypt and the uncertainty they faced. Being in the wilderness and out somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

God tests us.

Sometimes I wonder if he wants to test us to see if we will sin or not so the best way I can answer your question is:

1. Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, might, and strength.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself.
3. Tell others about Jesus
4, Live the fruit of the Spirit.

We all answer to the Lord. All of us do.
dds08
AG
I'm on board with Tampa and Dad O's comments.

From what I've been reading in Exodus and Leviticus, it seems the children of Israel sinned in a way. They started demanding things, meat, and an earthly king and a god, golden calf, to worship.

Trust the Lord to give you what you need. I would caution demanding things. (Demanding things that are in the "want" category) You may get things and soon enough be walking a path that is not your potential. A path that does not lead to self-actualization.

Imagine how much better off the children of Israel may have been if they had not demanded those (unnecessary) things.

They had a god much better than a golden calf already. They could have easily done without meat (or they could have waited and had all the meat they wanted in the promised land. All the meat of their hearts' desire) and an earthly king? Let's be serious. No earthly king compares to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The Great Provider.

They demanded things that they already had and; in some cases, what they already had was better.
dds08
AG
On second thought, what makes it all so bad is, what Adam and Eve had (before they sinned) was better and that was how long ago?

Ag_of 08 is there a possibility that what you already have is better?
dermdoc
AG
Blue star Tampa! As I have grown in my faith my prayers have gotten much shorter and often I just ask that Thy Will be done. And it brings my soul peace.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Have seen many requests for prayers, intervention etc. What justification do you use for the lack of a prayer being granted? For the appearance that one is granted, one is not?(football games etc).

And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will." - Jesus

7 Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment meto keep me from exalting myself! 8 Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.9 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. - Paul

Jesus absorbed the wrath of God towards sin on his body and experienced the full cup of suffering. God clearly spoke to Him before hand, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased" to going silent. Did this mean God abandoned Him? Did this mean that God forgot about Jesus, was disinterested, too busy, or was Jesus committing so much evil that God would no longer talk to Him? Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Given the examples our role is faithfulness despite the suffering and silence.

Martin Q. Blank
Ag_of_08 said:

Honest question, please keep it civil.

Just a curiousity, and a need to take a break from the vitriol of the politics board.
Really depends on the prayer. "help my unbelief" vs. "help in this affliction." The latter - mostly time. After a period of time with no relief, I conclude that God wants me in that state (2 Cor. 12:8).
Unknown_handle
AG
Your confusion may stem from the fact that many people that pray to God seem to think they can talk him into something that he really did not want to do or they think prayer is some sort of barter system. Like I will always help the homeless if you grant my prayer. God does not need to be talked into being good or just.

As to prayers being answered. Firstly the prayer must be biblical and have a godly purpose. God knows your heart. Secondly, if Christians are honest no one "really" knows why one person receives healing after prayer and another does not receive healing. The answer lies in the fact that when Jesus was here on Earth he did not go to the hospital and heal everyone nor did he raise everyone from the dead like Lazarus. Receiving involves believing. Therefore, prayer really isn't for the "unbeliever." Yet God is a God of mercy so I would say pray when you are in need no matter what.
dds08
AG
Unknown_handle said:

Your confusion may stem from the fact that many people that pray to God seem to think they can talk him into something that he really did not want to do or they think prayer is some sort of barter system. Like I will always help the homeless if you grant my prayer. God does not need to be talked into being good or just.

As to prayers being answered. Firstly the prayer must be biblical and have a godly purpose. God knows your heart. Secondly, if Christians are honest no one "really" knows why one person receives healing after prayer and another does not receive healing. The answer lies in the fact that when Jesus was here on Earth he did not go to the hospital and heal everyone nor did he raise everyone from the dead like Lazarus. Receiving involves believing. Therefore, prayer really isn't for the "unbeliever." Yet God is a God of mercy so I would say pray when you are in need no matter what.

Humans are always in a constant state of need.

We always need air to breathe until the Lord is ready for us to pass away.

Are you implying that we should pray without ceasing?
agie95
AG
One who turns his ear from hearing Torah
even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Texaggie7nine
agie95 said:

One who turns his ear from hearing Torah
even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9

Hear that boys? Your prayers are an abomination you shellfish eaters!!!
7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.