Cyrus

937 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DirtDiver
Dad-O-Lot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had Lector practice yesterday for this week's readings and it struck me that Isaiah's prophecy regarding God's use of the Pagan Cyrus to free his people could have parallels with our current President.

Quote:

Thus says the LORD to his anointed, Cyrus,
whose right hand I grasp,
subduing nations before him,
and making kings run in his service,
opening doors before him
and leaving the gates unbarred:
For the sake of Jacob, my servant,
of Israel, my chosen one,
I have called you by your name,
giving you a title, though you knew me not.
I am the LORD and there is no other,
there is no God besides me.
It is I who arm you, though you know me not,
so that toward the rising and the setting of the sun
people may know that there is none besides me.
I am the LORD, there is no other.

While the Jews were exiled in Babylon, the Persian emperor Cyrus defeated kingdoms then let the defeated peoples practice their own religions. Isaiah foresaw Cyrus defeating Babylon and liberating the Jews there who would then be free to return to Jerusalem. In this passage, Isaiah declares that Cyrus, even though a pagan, is God's instrument. Going so far as to use the word "Anointed," that is, "Messiah." Some believe that this resulted in Isaiah's martyrdom.

Trump has not lived his life in the manner that most Christians and Evangelicals would support, but many see him as assisting in the culture war to help move the pendulum back towards a more Christian morality.

God can use anyone to fulfill his tasks -- not just Christians.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Martin Q. Blank
Yes, very strange to call Cyrus "anointed", though the term is for those who redeem God's people...mostly reserved for the kings of Judea (of course represented in Christ).
Sapper Redux
Your "more Christian morality" scares a lot of people, especially given the mouthpiece you're using.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Your "more Christian morality" scares a lot of people, especially given the mouthpiece you're using.
People should be scared of Christ and his coming judgment.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

God of love and benevolence
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

God of love and benevolence
He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.
canadiaggie
AG
Odd that you would call Cyrus a pagan. I don't generally tend to think of Zoroastrianism as paganism.
PacifistAg
AG
I agree that God can work through anyone, including non-Christians. The problem is that Trump claims to be a Christian. When you claim to be a follower of Christ, yet bear no fruit, then that only damages the witness of the church.

The first thing that came to mind was the "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays" issue. Obviously, this has nothing to do w/ Christian morality, but the responses on the Politics board about this were telling. Ignoring the fact that what he claimed was a bald-faced lie, much of the support I saw looked nothing like Christ. Many over there praised it because it made liberals mad. That's not Christian morality. I don't see Trump bringing us closer to a position of love.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
RetiredAg said:

I agree that God can work through anyone, including non-Christians. The problem is that Trump claims to be a Christian. When you claim to be a follower of Christ, yet bear no fruit, then that only damages the witness of the church.

The first thing that came to mind was the "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays" issue. Obviously, this has nothing to do w/ Christian morality, but the responses on the Politics board about this were telling. Ignoring the fact that what he claimed was a bald-faced lie, much of the support I saw looked nothing like Christ. Many over there praised it because it made liberals mad. That's not Christian morality. I don't see Trump bringing us closer to a position of love.
The most prominent thing I see re: Trump/Christianity is his support of the Right to Life for the unborn and support of Religious Liberty, especially with regard to the HHS Mandate re: Birth Control.

By no means would I point to Trump and his lifestyle as an example for Christians to emulate, but his policies regarding abortion and religious liberty are positive.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
NonReg85
AG
Dr. Watson said:

To be fair, the people who are scared of a "more Christian morality" are pretty much scared of their own shadow. Thank God for safe spaces.
Sapper Redux
NonReg85 said:

Dr. Watson said:

To be fair, the people who are scared of a "more Christian morality" are pretty much scared of their own shadow. Thank God for safe spaces.

They are usually people who have been discriminated against and harassed for most of our history. But hey, at least Christians can go back to actively insulting their dignity what with potential judges like Jeff Mateer.
NonReg85
AG
Whatever. It was a little joke dude. But, you certainly pull-off the perpetually offended thing like a boss.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Dr. Watson said:

NonReg85 said:

Dr. Watson said:

They are usually people who have been discriminated against and harassed for most of our history. But hey, at least Christians can go back to actively insulting their dignity what with potential judges like Jeff Mateer.

Are you suggesting that people who don't conform the social mores of the dominant surrounding culture face harassment, discrimination, and persecution?

DirtDiver

Quote:

The most prominent thing I see re: Trump/Christianity is his support of the Right to Life for the unborn and support of Religious Liberty, especially with regard to the HHS Mandate re: Birth Control.

I agree. I see more religious liberty over imposing Christian morality. To impose Christian morality on non-Christians is like putting rocks into a sinking person's boat instead of giving them a life saver.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.