What are you reading?

2,117 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Marco Esquandolas
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The board seems to have been struggling as of late. So, I thought I'd start a topic that shouldn't really be divisive, but also spark commentary.

What are you currently reading? Give a brief description.

As for me, I just started "Beautiful Souls: Saying No, Breaking Ranks, and Heeding the Voice of Conscience in Dark Times" by Eyal Press. This book looks at stories of ordinary people, who when faced with the choice of complying with an evil order or facing consequences of refusal, chose to the "hard right". I just finished the initial chapter on Paul Gruninger, a Swiss police captain that defied Swiss policy and falsified documents to save the lives of hundreds of Jewish refugees.

The book doesn't just detail their stories, but goes into the psychology behind compliance and disobeying. One thing that has stood out has been that these people weren't extraordinary. They were ordinary people who simply helped people that needed it. We often look at these people as extraordinary, as though they did things that we couldn't, but that's simply not the case. Gruninger wasn't driven by faith or ideology. Unlike other police captains in border Cantons, he didn't isolate himself from the refugees seeking entry. It was when he saw them, looked in their eyes and saw their pain that he realized it was his "human duty" to allow them in, regardless of what the law was. It's very interesting when the book steers more into the psychology aspect of the issue. What makes seemingly good people comply with evil acts? They go in depth in the famous Milgram experiment as well. They address the power of propaganda and dehumanization of the enemy. They point out that this was something the Nazis understood, and something that led to the My Lai massacre. A post-WW2 study showed no more than 15 - 20% of front line infantry ever fired their weapon at the enemy. The military began to focus more on dehumanizing the enemy, and anytime you dehumanize a person, you open the door for evil.

I highly recommend this book.
Star Wars Memes Only
Currently reading guns, germs, and steel. Only about 150 pages in at this point so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The book sets out to answer the question why certain races of people won out over other races of people. It examines, in depth, many possible factors that might be partially responsible for answering those questions, such as history, geography, local plant and animal life etc. It is written in a very entertaining way.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Currently reading guns, germs, and steel. Only about 150 pages in at this point so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I remember watching the documentary and found it interesting and memorable.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

Very interesting book. I read that summer before I went off to A&M.

I'm currently reading:
The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
Accidental Salesperson - Chris Lytle
The Entrepreneur Mind - Kevin Johnson.

I just finished Conversational Capacity and Small Business Survival Guide. I also throw in Goodnight Moon, Hungry Hungry Caterpillar, and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish each night, but I'm not the target audience.

And Retired is right, this board has sucked lately. Granted, that has been great for me because the last thing I need is another distraction.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
AGC
AG
The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher. I'm three chapters in but the gist is that Christians lost the culture war that started in the 60s. It also talks about how the American church and Catholic church have arrived where they're at, through nominalism, the enlightenment, Luther, and others. The rest of the book is supposed to be about how we preserve Christianity for the future, examining ways different groups do it, knowing that we cannot trust government or institutions to aid us, even our own churches (if you're evangelical).

Started Confessions by Augustine but was quite tired when I did so I wasn't in the right mood to track through the first three pages. Will be attempting it again during daylight on non-traveling days.

Good thread. DDS just overwhelms my desire to respond.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Yesterday I finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. Sci Fi, sorta dystopian, cyberpunk story of a hacker being commissioned to hack an AI. . . .

Nothing life changing, but a fun read if you are into that sorta thing.

I've also been reading "Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings from a lifetime in Golf" . . . . as though it might actually help my crappy golf game.
agie95
AG
Zohar - Jewish mystical thought
PacifistAg
AG
Some of the responses has made me want to tweak my original question. Let's go with:

1) Previous book read
2) Current book
3) Next book

For me:
1) Crucifixion of the Warrior God - 1,300 amazing pages of in-depth theology on the violent depictions of God throughout the OT and Revelation
2) Beautiful Souls - already described above
3) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - read it before and couldn't stop laughing. In desperate need of something light.
swimmerbabe11
I have this book but haven't started it yet. One of my twitter friends wrote a review on it. She writes very well. https://torreygazette.com/blog/2017/10/11/book-review-the-benedict-option
(That's also a really cool blog and Joshua is always looking for writers if anyone wants to lend their voice)

I've got a few books that I have started but haven't finished yet, which is really wierd for me.

Afraid: Demon Posession and Spiritual Warfare in America

https://www.cph.org/p-29616-afraid-demon-possession-and-spiritual-warfare-in-america.aspx

Ironically, I find the book terrifying and put it down for a bit because I wanted to be able to sleep. Fascinating and really really good, just disturbing topic. He is talking about his experiences as a Lutheran pastor performing exorcisms and whatnot. He also has a book "I am not Afraid" that takes place mostly in Africa.

Christification: A Lutheran Approach to Theosis

https://www.amazon.com/Christification-Lutheran-Approach-Jordan-Cooper/dp/162564616X

For protestants thinking about/trying to wrap their heads around Eastern Orthodox beliefs (or Eastern Orthodox trying to find ecumenical ground with protestants), I found this to be a wonderfully eye opening book. Cooper writes his books like a thesis paper though, so unless you know a lot of theologians modern and past, you may end up doing some googling. I only have the last chapter left, but its Theosis from a Neoplatonic approach...and I'm not great with philosophy, so I've been avoiding it.

And my Bible study book

Written by my own pastor, A Year with the Church Fathers (I can get you a copy if you'd prefer to buy from the Church)
https://www.amazon.com/Year-Church-Fathers-Meditations-Each-ebook/dp/B009XCD3NW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508257454&sr=1-1&keywords=Scott+Murray+year+with+fathers

For Funsies, I'm reading Piers Anthony's Castle Roogna which is just delightful.

Sapper Redux
1. Ragtime by EL Doctorow

2. When Life Nearly Died: The Greatest Mass Extinction of All Time by Michael Benton. Ostensibly about the end-Permian extinction but does a good job delving into the history of geology and paleontology as sciences and the methods of determining what happened in deep time.

3. The Swerve, about the rediscovery of "On the Nature of Things."
Ulrich
1. Bulfinch's Mythology. For many years the most prominent introduction to European mythology from Greece to High Medieval.

2. I read multiple books at once
The Theory of Economic Development - Schumpeter.
Pretty influential economist. The translation from German isn't perfectly smooth, but his thoughts on capital, interest, innovation, and the business cycle are important to the theory and history of economics.

Ten Theories of Human Nature - Leslie Stevenson
Covers philosophical worldviews including Confucianism, Plato, Marx, etc. Almost all of it is review for me, but I like hitting things multiple times for more thorough comprehension.

What If? - Cowley, ed.
Collection of counterfactuals by prominent historians.

3. Haven't decided, but probably either
Risk, Uncertainty, and Profit - Frank Knight
The first guy to explicitly separate risk (I know that there is a 40% chance of losing $10) from uncertainty (I'm not sure how likely an event is to happen or what the effects could be).

No Go the Bogeyman - Marina Warner
Psychology/mythology; how we use stories to arouse and address underlying fears. I feel like this could be either really good or really bad.
unimboti nkum
AG
Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity by Carlo Rovelli

Quote:

What are the elementary ingredients of the world? Do time and space exist? And what exactly is reality? Theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli has spent his life exploring these questions. He tells us how our understanding of reality has changed over the centuries and how physicists think about the structure of the universe today.

In elegant and accessible prose, Rovelli takes us on a wondrous journey from Democritus to Albert Einstein, from Michael Faraday to gravitational waves, and from classical physics to his own work in quantum gravity. As he shows us how the idea of reality has evolved over time, Rovelli offers deeper explanations of the theories he introduced so concisely in Seven Brief Lessons on Physics.
https://smile.amazon.com/Reality-Not-What-Seems-Journey/dp/0735213925/ref=pd_ys_iyr14
gordo97
AG
Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

My wife and my daughter asked me to read it. Actually pretty funny and entertaining for chick lit.
Dumpster Fire
Rocag
AG
The last religious themed book I read was "Going Clear" about Scientology. I thought it was interesting. Currently I'm waiting patiently for Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson to come out.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
AGC
AG
I think the review is a little harsh. I'll wait til I'm more than 100 pages in to say more but it sounds like the book may be written to a specific audience based on the criticisms.

Prior read was too long ago to remember (I have a lot of half read books). Next read may be Guns, Germs, and Steel as it's sitting on my shelf waiting.
Frok
AG
Nerd fest, I love it.

Previously Read:
Perelandra - CS Lewis - An old sci-fi series of his that is a Christian allegory. This is the middle book in the series.

Currently Reading:
Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus - Nabeel Qureshi - Just started this. I had never read it and after seeing many videos about his life I feel I had to.

Next Book: Undetermined

jkag89
Most recently finished: Bridge of Spies by Giles Whittell (Goes into far more detail about the U2 flights and Francis Gary Powers part of the story than shown in the Spielberg/Hanks film), The Werewolf of Bamberg by Oliver Pötzsch (Book five of the fun mystery/horror The Hangman's Daughter serires) and The Summer Game by Roger Angell

Currently reading: Letters to a Young Catholic by George Weigel, The Glory by Herman Wouk (historical fiction with its primary focus being the The Yom Kippur War), Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin and The Things Our Fathers SawThe Untold Stories of the World War II Generation From Hometown, USA-Volume I: Voices of the Pacific Theater by Matthew Rozell

Next Up: ? but have quite an accumulated pile to choose from
Aggrad08
AG
I enjoyed it. I don't fully agree with some of his arguments but the overall book was good.

Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Some of the responses has made me want to tweak my original question. Let's go with:

1) Previous book read
2) Current book
3) Next book

For me:
1) Crucifixion of the Warrior God - 1,300 amazing pages of in-depth theology on the violent depictions of God throughout the OT and Revelation
2) Beautiful Souls - already described above
3) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - read it before and couldn't stop laughing. In desperate need of something light.
Great book. My first exposure to it was listening to a book on tape during a road trip to and from the grand canyon for a week of hiking when I was a Boy Scout.

Anyways, next up for me:
Build a Rental Property Empire
Small Time Operator - another book on small business.
And I'm going add in some fiction. I've been vacillating between Catch 22 or The Princess Bride.

If anyone has a recommendation for a book about managing finances/accounting in a small business, I'd greatly appreciate it.
swimmerbabe11
I've actually never struggled to keep reading a book like I did Hitchhiker's. I felt like any time I got a grasp on what was going on and started to enjoy it, the damn improbability button got pushed and I was trying to catch up again.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've actually never struggled to keep reading a book like I did Hitchhiker's. I felt like any time I got a grasp on what was going on and started to enjoy it, the damn improbability button got pushed and I was trying to catch up again.

My wife thought I was losing my mind when I read it because I couldn't stop laughing. Then she read it and finally understood.
jkag89
I laughed out loud even the second time I read the series (or at least with the original trilogy, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish was very meh).
kurt vonnegut
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

My wife was very 'meh' on HHGTTG also . . . . we almost divorced. . . .
Win At Life
AG
I'm proofreading my own book. The back cover says the following:

"Did Jesus sin? Or was Jesus the only one to ever follow God's Law perfectly and not sin? If you believe Jesus was a perfect keeper of God's Law, then this book will intrigue you an challenge your beliefs about the Bible. That's because most New Testament doctrine teaches Jesus violated the Sabbath, declared all foods clean, waived away the Law against adultery and violated many other Old Testament commands. How can that be? Is Jesus a sinner or is man-made doctrine and interpretation wrong? We believe it is the latter. Read this book and discover how Jesus did indeed keep the Law perfectly. Come, let us reason together and search the scriptures daily to see if these things are so."
Post removed:
by user
Marco Esquandolas
AG
dargscisyhp said:

The book sets out to answer the question why certain races of people won out over other races of people. It examines, in depth, many possible factors that might be partially responsible for answering those questions, such as history, geography, local plant and animal life etc. It is written in a very entertaining way.

Jared Diamond is kind of full of **** though. Increase your salt intake.
Win At Life
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Win At Life said:

If you believe Jesus was a perfect keeper of God's Law, then this book will intrigue you an challenge your beliefs about the Bible.
Are you proofreading the back last?

Actually better than I was expecting from punching all that in on my phone
Star Wars Memes Only
aggrad and Marco, what did you guys not like about the book or Jared Diamond?
Sapper Redux
dargscisyhp said:

aggrad and Marco, what did you guys not like about the book or Jared Diamond?

My $0.02 is that he pushes his thesis too far into ecological determinism. I think he's generally right about the importance of geography and ecology in the development of human societies and their success, but only to a point. Once a society is established, culture broadly defined will also dictate the nature of the relationship between societies and their environment.
DirtDiver
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
This is a pretty useful discussion among anthropologists about it https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnthropology/comments/1rzm07/what_are_some_of_the_main_anthropological/

In short, many of his peers feel he is way too much of an environmental determinist in his theoretical approach, which people think is too narrow and an explanatory dead-end, and his interpretation of certain evidence is highly flawed.

This is a little "inside baseball", but I would go so far as to say his books are not very well respected within his academic field(s), geography and anthropology. There have been entire special issues of academic journals devoted to critiques of Diamond and there was even a piece published a few years ago in one of them titled "*****Jared Diamond" being the most polemic. But his books are easy to read and engagingly written, and he tells a persuasive story, so he is widely read by a lay audience. I would never argue his stuff is totally without merit, it's just that he has a seriously lacking understanding of the importance of human agency and politics in relation to environmental conditions. I have assigned portions of one of his other books, Collapse, to undergrads along with a contra piece from an entire book written with the specific purpose of countering his work, and have the students debate the two positions. Useful to approach his work with some wider perspective.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.