How do Neanderthals fit into religion?

4,304 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggrad08
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

Neanderthals were smart, they interbred with Homo sapiens, they had burial rituals and possibly religion, and they were equipped for speech. But they were not humans.

Did they have souls? Free will? Could they be saved? Were they included in the "beasts of the land", or were they similarly made in God's image?

Neanderthals - if referring to a 100 percent humans who happened to live in caves (as did some Native Americans) then they had souls, free will, could be saved and made in God's image.

Neanderthals - if referring to a human type of sub-species other than 100 percent human or 100 percent Ape, I don't believe they existed.

Neanderthals - if referring to a 100 percent Ape - we do not have any reason to conclude that salvation is for non-human (ie: dogs, apes, cats, etc) Not made in God's image

100% human? They bred with Homo sapiens. They were not Homo sapiens. They were Homo neanderthalis. They were a species of hominid without being anatomically modern humans.

And they absolutely existed. That's an absurd statement.
PacifistAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Quad Dog said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

I am not aware of any who actually believe in a "young earth".
Oh it's widespread in fundamentalist baptist world. We even did a school play all intended to "debunk" evolution and an old earth. The big song was "You Can't Make a Monkey Out of Me".

I think most Christians, however, don't really give young earth vs old earth much thought.

All I can think of now:

I read retired's post as a long con aimed at this Simpsons reference. It never crossed my mind that he was talking about a relationship song sang by real kids in a real play at a real school.

Oh it was a very real song in a very real play at a very real "school". I use quotations because it lacked any accreditation and whose science teachings sounded as though they came from Natural News, which made it quite the challenge transferring to a 5A public school in Austin when we moved back to Texas in 11th grade. We were lucky they accepted any of our credits, as they informed us they were considering not accepting them.
DirtDiver

Quote:

100% human? They bred with Homo sapiens. They were not Homo sapiens. They were Homo neanderthalis. They were a species of hominid without being anatomically modern humans.

Remeber, I think the entire belief of ape to man evolution is an absurd statement. IMO whatever bones they found and are calling a Neanderthal is either 100 percent human as you and I or not. I think we often forget how diverse the human skeleton can be in size and shape. The two gentlemen below are both 100 percent human.

schmendeler
AG
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

Remeber, I think the entire belief of ape to man evolution is an absurd statement. Whatever bones they found and are calling a Neanderthal is either 100 percent human as you and I or not. I think we often forget how diverse the human skeleton can be in size and shape. The two gentlemen below are both 100 percent human.

well, there's this thing called DNA. you might have heard of it?
Aggrad08
AG
This is willfully ignorant. No man alive has a skeleton like Neanderthal. No man alive has their DNA (only small pieces where they share with us)
Sapper Redux
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

Remeber, I think the entire belief of ape to man evolution is an absurd statement. IMO whatever bones they found and are calling a Neanderthal is either 100 percent human as you and I or not. I think we often forget how diverse the human skeleton can be in size and shape. The two gentlemen below are both 100 percent human.

I believe the "rickety Cossack" theory was tossed out awhile ago. Neanderthals are not Homo sapiens.
Woody2006
AG
It's interesting how if you've already decided that something must be true to fit within your preferred narrative how easily your mind can adapt to fit new information within your existing paradigm.

The "it's just a different type of human" argument is so willfully ignorant. We have skeletons of an insane number of intermediate species with entirely different skeletal structures. Not just shorter or taller, but entirely differently shaped hips. Entirely different craniums.

You can go to museums and look at these skeletons. These were not just humans stunted by lack of nutrition or whatever. These are different species.

If your religious beliefs require that you believe this is all a giant conspiracy or lie, you really should reconsider your religious beliefs.
DirtDiver

There are quite a few articles that challenge this view worth reading even though you may be set in your mind. I readily admit that I'm not a scientist but I find the observation below interesting. Maybe someone could educate me on it.

Science Mag

Average DNA divergence between Neandertals and humans. To estimate the DNA sequence divergence per base pair between the genomes of Neandertals and the reference human genome sequence, we generated three-way alignments between the Neandertal, human, and chimpanzee genomes, filtering out genomic regions that may be duplicated in either humans or chimpanzees and using an inferred genome sequence of the common ancestor of humans and chimpanzees as a reference o avoid potential biases

In order to avoid potential bias one uses a biased method?

There are many Christians who love Jesus that disagree with me, each other, and how to examine the evidence on this topic as many of you do. I'm simply sharing my view as requested. Below are some articles on the topic from Creationsists.

IRC
AIG
IRC 2
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.