S - Nutrients

1,028 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eidetic78
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Before humans discovered vitamins, minerals, and nutrients; how did humans get proper nutrition?

Did they just eat a variety of foods and hope for the best?

Yes I am all too familiar with the food pyramid.
schmendeler
AG
malnutrition was very common. that's why people are so much larger now.
dds08
AG
The word says the Lord takes care of the animals. The birds don't worry about clothes to wear or food to eat. They just live.

How much indeed the Lord cares for humans.

It's nothing short of a miracle, food. We know so much more now than we did in the B.C. times, yet someway, somehow; if you're reading this you had a predecessor way back then who "got along."
WaltonAg18
AG
I would contend that the reason you're here today is that you descend from those who ate the foods with the proper nutrients. Those that didn't have the correct vitamins and minerals in their diet simply didn't reproduce as much or as effectively, and the pressure put on them from the surrounding ecosystem led to their demise.
TexAgs91
AG
dds08 said:

The word says the Lord takes care of the animals. The birds don't worry about clothes to wear or food to eat. They just live.

How much indeed the Lord cares for humans.

It's nothing short of a miracle, food. We know so much more now than we did in the B.C. times, yet someway, somehow; if you're reading this you had a predecessor way back then who "got along."
Why did you label this thread with a "S"?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
dds08
AG
S for Science.

When did humans learn about vitamins, nutrients, and minerals? How did humans, "get by" before they knew about all the vitamins and nutrients they needed?

I'm sure it fits in biology somewhere.

I know the Lord provides.

How would an atheist say it got done?
mesocosm
AG
dds08 said:

S for Science.

When did humans learn about vitamins, nutrients, and minerals? How did humans, "get by" before they knew about all the vitamins and nutrients they needed?

What a strange question. Humans didn't have to learn anything. All they had to do was eat. Just like the ocelots, tardigrades, earthworms and every other organism on earth did. Or do you think these organisms were successful because they took nutrition classes?
Sapper Redux
dds08 said:

S for Science.

We evolved to survive on a variety of foods because we had a variety of foods to eat. Just look at the diet of chimps and remember we came from the same area (though more grasslands way back when). If your body evolves on a certain kind of diet, bad things happen when you deviate from that diet. Humans shrank, lived in more pain, suffered more disease, and died younger when they moved to agriculture because it limited the diet to almost all cereals all the time. We learned about the value of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals in the last 200-300 years because we finally had enough surplus of enough variety to see how certain kinds of foods impacted our ability to function.
schmendeler
AG
dds08 said:

S for Science.

Is this a poor attempt at a "gotcha"?
Eliminatus
AG
dds08 said:

S for Science.

So are you saying that our food knowledge and biological know how is all a sham or not needed??

I am really confused as to what your point is or you driving motivation about asking this question. Which is pretty damn easy.

We developed our knowledge over time, especially the last century and not all "got by". In fact if you had the tiniest bit of history you would know that history is rife with examples of how humans did not always "get by".

Are you trying to do a religion vs atheist battle here with a sure fire "Gotcha!" or something?
dds08
AG
Eliminatus said:

dds08 said:

S for Science.

So are you saying that our food knowledge and biological know how is all a sham or not needed??

I am really confused as to what your point is or you driving motivation about asking this question. Which is pretty damn easy.

We developed our knowledge over time, especially the last century and not all "got by". In fact if you had the tiniest bit of history you would know that history is rife with examples of how humans did not always "get by".

Are you trying to do a religion vs atheist battle here with a sure fire "Gotcha!" or something?
No, I am not trying to do a battle. I'm just curious that's all.

People believe different things that's all. Nothing wrong with that. It's a free country.

Today how does the average Joe know that they are getting all the vitamins and nutrients they need on a daily or monthly or yearly basis? I doubt everyone goes through some daily blood test to measure these amounts in their system.

Physicals are only done every so often and your body is amazing. It can go without certain nutrients for quite a long time before adversity strikes.

How does one know they are eating the correct variety or is not missing something?

How does one know they are getting an optimal amount of this nutrient or an optimal amount of that mineral/vitamin.

With the advent of pro-biotics, how does one know they are getting an optimal amount of the organisms in good probiotics.
Aggrad08
AG
You don't take the optimal amount. Just pop a multivitamin, and with the exception of fat soluble vitamins that could harm you, you are getting way past the amounts required. Any extra is just flushed out unused, no harm done.

If You start feeling crappy you are likely to end up at a doc and you will learn the deficiencies in your diet. It's nothing difficult,
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

We evolved to survive on a variety of foods because we had a variety of foods to eat. Just look at the diet of chimps and remember we came from the same area (though more grasslands way back when). If your body evolves on a certain kind of diet, bad things happen when you deviate from that diet. Humans shrank, lived in more pain, suffered more disease, and died younger when they moved to agriculture because it limited the diet to almost all cereals all the time. We learned about the value of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals in the last 200-300 years because we finally had enough surplus of enough variety to see how certain kinds of foods impacted our ability to function.
Pretty much sums it up. The Agricultural revolution was great for human society on a macro level (much better economy and war-making capability) but bad for individual humans on a micro level (introduction of societal hierarchy, vast inequality, grinding daily toil in fields, diseases, malnutrition, etc.)

Of course I wasn't around back then, but that's what I learned from Guns Germs & Steel and Sapiens.
Rusty Aha
AG
schmendeler said:

.....And generations of larger people are creating a larger carbon footprint and destroying this Earth........

......yet the death pertinent in evolutionary competition ultimately furthers the progress of life.....

americathegreat1492
Not an atheist, but I'll play.

Humans and other animals have built in systems that help maintain equilibrium. They aren't perfect by any means, but if you don't consume certain kinds of nutrients, you will crave more of them. Animals have the same systems.
Sapper Redux
TampaBayAg said:

schmendeler said:

.....And generations of larger people are creating a larger carbon footprint and destroying this Earth........

......yet the death pertinent in evolutionary competition ultimately furthers the progress of life.....

Evolution doesn't work in "progress." Current life is not "better" than past life just because it's current. A T. Rex is a much more impressive predator than anything currently living. Killing huge swaths of life won't help evolution, it will slow down the diversification of species and require millions of years just to fill the gaps created and return to a similar level of diversity.
unimboti nkum
AG
Quote:

Post removed:
by user
eidetic78
AG
I remember you asking about bacterial communities that inhabit humans. They also play a huge role in what nutrients you're able to extract from what you eat.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2859216/replies/49306392
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.