Ugh...Pat Robertson

4,273 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NonReg85 said:

Agreed. But, I would encourage you to reflect on your interpretation. I think you judged Robertson too harshly but at the end of the day I don't really care because for all I know you may be right.

Fair enough. You could be right and I'd be wrong to reject the notion that I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before. Thank you.
NonReg85
AG
Quote:

Given that he references "violence in the streets", the claim wouldn't make sense given that violent crime rates in America have steadily decreased for 2.5 decades.

It's true that violent crime has decreased since the 80s but spending on additional cops has increased dramatically and, of course, incarceration rates are through the roof. I wonder if disrespect for authority has been increasing violent crime but rates are still falling due to the reaction. Maybe encouraging an integrated and respectful culture would be a less expensive way to keep violent crime rates down.

PacifistAg
AG
NonReg85 said:

Quote:

Given that he references "violence in the streets", the claim wouldn't make sense given that violent crime rates in America have steadily decreased for 2.5 decades.

It's true that violent crime has decreased since the 80s but spending on additional cops has increased dramatically and, of course, incarceration rates are through the roof. I wonder if disrespect for authority has been increasing violent crime but rates are still falling due to the reaction. Maybe encouraging an integrated and respectful culture would be a less expensive way to keep violent crime rates down.
I do think fostering a more respectful culture would be very helpful. I think, though, for that to take place, we'd have to get out of our partisan mindsets that constantly portrays the "other" as an enemy. Political partisanship has really become ingrained in our society, and those w/ power fan the flames of it as much as possible because it only helps tighten their grip on power. I think the biggest problem w/ BLM is the anger in their tone. My wife and I have talked about this before and how that movement needs more than anything an MLK figure to rise to the front. One who is Christ-centered and focused on forgiveness and turning enemies into brothers.

There is an alarming lack of respect for others in our society though. On that, I think we'd be in total agreement. I'll use the current anthem kneeling controversy as an example and something from my own experience. I have no issue w/ kneeling in and of itself. I've not been secret about the fact that my family and I do not participate in these rituals either. Once, however, I had someone knock my hat off and get angry with me for doing so. Do I think their anger was irrational? Absolutely. Do I wish they had simply asked me why I refused to participate? Sure. I think that would have allowed us to handle it in a mutually respectful manner. But, I also see the anger my simple act of sitting there w/ my wife and kids caused. So now I simply use that time to go the concessions or restrooms. We've become obsessed w/ being "right" to the point we've lost our empathy and desire to understand differing viewpoints.

That's just my 2 cents though.
AGC
AG
RetiredAg said:

NonReg85 said:

Quote:

I do think fostering a more respectful culture would be very helpful. I think, though, for that to take place, we'd have to get out of our partisan mindsets that constantly portrays the "other" as an enemy. Political partisanship has really become ingrained in our society, and those w/ power fan the flames of it as much as possible because it only helps tighten their grip on power. I think the biggest problem w/ BLM is the anger in their tone. My wife and I have talked about this before and how that movement needs more than anything an MLK figure to rise to the front. One who is Christ-centered and focused on forgiveness and turning enemies into brothers.

There is an alarming lack of respect for others in our society though. On that, I think we'd be in total agreement. I'll use the current anthem kneeling controversy as an example and something from my own experience. I have no issue w/ kneeling in and of itself. I've not been secret about the fact that my family and I do not participate in these rituals either. Once, however, I had someone knock my hat off and get angry with me for doing so. Do I think their anger was irrational? Absolutely. Do I wish they had simply asked me why I refused to participate? Sure. I think that would have allowed us to handle it in a mutually respectful manner. But, I also see the anger my simple act of sitting there w/ my wife and kids caused. So now I simply use that time to go the concessions or restrooms. We've become obsessed w/ being "right" to the point we've lost our empathy and desire to understand differing viewpoints.

Lolwut? I doubt BLM finding a peace loving adulterer that profaned Jesus' name is going to redeem the movement. You'd never accept his personal life in a pastor, why a civil rights leader as a representative of Christ?
PacifistAg
AG
AGC said:

RetiredAg said:

NonReg85 said:

Quote:

Lolwut? I doubt BLM finding a peace loving adulterer that profaned Jesus' name is going to redeem the movement. You'd never accept his personal life in a pastor, why a civil rights leader as a representative of Christ?
I'm sorry. I should have said someone like MLK who takes a "non-violent, self-sacrificial love of enemies" approach to address injustice that looks much more like Christ. For all his flaws, and you're right in that I wouldn't accept an adulterer as my pastor, his approach to injustice looked far more like Christ than what we saw elsewhere. Then again, I also wouldn't accept a pastor that champions for an adulterer either.

My comment wasn't really about MLK, but about the need for a Christ-like figure to come to the forefront.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.