Advancement/Progress

1,317 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone would agree that it exists, but what is it?
dds08
AG
I would put it in a category similar to love.
Rocag
AG
I wouldn't agree that it exists as anything more than a concept. The idea of advancement or progress is completely subjective and dependent on the person's point of view.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
The beer in this country is much better now than it was just a couple decades ago.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Rocag said:

I wouldn't agree that it exists as anything more than a concept. The idea of advancement or progress is completely subjective and dependent on the person's point of view.

For example, capitalism and science have given us massive changes in technology. We have a million "time saving" devices. Yet we are as overworked as ever, and generally sadder as a society than ever.
dds08
AG
Progress can work for evil or for good.

I've met people and heard stories of people who are awfully cunning and deceitful.

My ex brother in law must have sold his soul to Satan because he was such skilled domino player and my sister eventually left him because she was too afraid he would leave and never come home. It was ordinary for him to come home with suitcases and duffel bags of cash winnings.

On the flip side, I've met people who are true to integrity and are quite effective in life. They make an honest living the best way they can.
dds08
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Rocag said:

For example, capitalism and science have given us massive changes in technology. We have a million "time saving" devices. Yet we are as overworked as ever, and generally sadder as a society than ever.
Couldn't have said it any better.
dds08
AG
Over in the Politics area of the forum, they talk about rights and where they come from.

Someone mentioned that if you believe power is everything, then your rights came from Hitler during 1939.

I mention all that because it's awfully comical how far behind we started off in 1939, where our industrialism took us, and how we caught up and surpassed Germany as a nation by far.

We had a lot of help too. Don't get me wrong. (I'm willing to spread the recognition) They tried to fight too many countries at once, way in over their heads.

This is awesome/fascinating!

Progress!

Hallelujah!
dds08
AG
My brother in law taught me his big six domino game, and now when I play family and friends, half the time I'm playing them, I dunno what I'm doing yet they are no match for me.

I honestly don't know what I be doing. If you asked, I would tell you I don't know!
dds08
AG
IMO, Humans have inalienable God endowed right to progress, advancement, and achievement.

I read this somewhere in anthropology 101 at A&M.

It seems our government, unlike some foreign governments, try to do a good job in protecting this right for it's citizens.
dds08
AG
Hitler: "I'm going for complete world domination! I already proclaimed it in Mein Comp!"

USA: "Not on our watch!"
Marco Esquandolas
AG
dds08 said:

IMO, Humans have inalienable God endowed right to progress, advancement, and achievement.

I read this somewhere in anthropology 101 at A&M.

It's just a story we tell ourselves. Turned out to be a powerful one, but a made-up story nonetheless. It was useful for overthrowing monarchical tyranny in western Europe at a specific period in time.

kurt vonnegut
AG
dds08 said:

Hitler: "I'm going for complete world domination! I already proclaimed it in Mein Comp!"

I suspect the history books anywhere outside of Murica read a bit differently.
dds08
AG
I have the idea; when we sin, we cheat ourselves in the worst possible way. We keep from ourselves the goodness of progress and advancement.

We squander and waste opportunity when we sin. Long term and short term progress both suffer.

The fruit of the Spirit is goodness.

We need the Lord more than we know or perhaps could ever know!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Rocag said:

Exactly!

"Advancement" and "Progress" presuppose a direction, or a goal. These are inherently subjective.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dds08
AG
Jesus claimed to be the way.

What this tells me is that the way of Jesus is Supreme of all ways. It's the only true way.

If someone or something wants to advance or progress at all, they must follow Jesus.
BusterAg
AG
Around 2000 years ago, Roman senators lived a very comfortable life, not so less comfortable than the average American citizen. The difference between now and then is that there were a few hundred Italians that could afford that lifestyle back then, and there are very few Americans who cannot afford that lifestyle now.

The fact that the majority of us in the US (and growing ww) no longer have to struggle against nature just to survive is progress. The fact that wars usually involve wiping out governments as opposed to nations is progress.

Generally, I'm proud of the human race. History is insanely ugly compared to 2017.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

"Advancement" and "Progress" presuppose a direction, or a goal.

Well put, these are the words I was looking for.
dds08
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dds08 said:

I suspect the history books anywhere outside of Murica read a bit differently.
I know us folks in America don't get along well with the "Reds", but could you imagine the look on Hitler's face when it was reported that the Russians were coming like a endless horde over the horizon?

How about after D-day hit em?

How about once the bombs starting dropping down in the German towns/city?

Then country by country started being liberated.

Wow! What a moment!
dds08
AG
BusterAg said:

Around 2000 years ago, Roman senators lived a very comfortable life, not so less comfortable than the average American citizen. The difference between now and then is that there were a few hundred Italians that could afford that lifestyle back then, and there are very few Americans who cannot afford that lifestyle now.

The fact that the majority of us in the US (and growing ww) no longer have to struggle against nature just to survive is progress. The fact that wars usually involve wiping out governments as opposed to nations is progress.

Generally, I'm proud of the human race. History is insanely ugly compared to 2017.
Let's hope we will forever be a nation under "God, with Liberty and Justice for all."

I would change it to say, "Under God, with Love, Liberty and Justice for all."

Guess you cannot always have it exactly like you want it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.