Religious Question: What is afterlife? What exists after death?

5,611 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cr
Rocag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My problem with near death experiences is that if you look at the reports of them from across different cultures and religions you will see that they are always interpreted in different ways that align with the person's preconceived thoughts and beliefs. For instance, when Hindus have near death experiences they tend to report seeing Hindu deities and figures, not Judeo-Christian ones. Same with other faiths. I'm not sure then how you can interpret near death experiences to confirm one religion but not others.

The simpler explanation is that the scenes and images a person sees when near death come from within their own minds, not from some exterior supernatural source.
Post removed:
by user
cr
Can you provide a root scientific explanation for the examples I gave?
MidTnAg
AG

Quote:

Your definition of magic and mine are way different.

An acorn becoming an oak tree only when mixed with dirt is magic to me. A heart that beats every second without intervention is magic to me. There is no root, scientific explanation for those things.
You are 100% incorrect.

There is no magic in your examples. We know EXACTLY what the scientific processes are that cause each of your two examples.

cr
MidTnAg said:

Quote:

An acorn becoming an oak tree only when mixed with dirt is magic to me. A heart that beats every second without intervention is magic to me. There is no root, scientific explanation for those things.
You are 100% incorrect.

There is no magic in your examples. We know EXACTLY what the scientific processes are that cause each of your two examples.

If you can explain the root process, please do. This should be fun since no one has ever done that.
Rocag
AG
Can you clarify what you mean by "root"? I mean the old joke that biology is just an application of chemistry which is in turn just an application of physics comes to mind, so if you are looking for why things happen the way they do you can at least dig that far down.
MidTnAg
AG
garc said:

MidTnAg said:

Quote:

You are 100% incorrect.

If you can explain the root process, please do. This should be fun since no one has ever done that.
What do you mean by "root process"?

The process of an acorn becoming an oak tree is definitely not magic. Do you not understand basic science? Reproduction is not magic. The making of a human baby is not magic.

Magic to me is something that is supernatural - cannot be explained by the laws of physics, the laws of nature. Reproduction is explainable scientifically.
cr
MidTnAg said:

garc said:

MidTnAg said:

Quote:

You are 100% incorrect.

What do you mean by "root process"?

The process of an acorn becoming an oak tree is definitely not magic. Do you not understand basic science? Reproduction is not magic. The making of a human baby is not magic.

Magic to me is something that is supernatural - cannot be explained by the laws of physics, the laws of nature. Reproduction is explainable scientifically.

Please explain it then. Let's start there. An acorn becomes an oak tree. I'd like to hear it.
WaltonAg18
AG
It all has to do with an extremely complex system of regulations and balances put into place over the course of millions of years of evolution, the explanation of which can take up entire chapters of books. I'm a biochemist, we study all kinds of biological processes and how exactly it works. It isn't magic, it's science.
MidTnAg
AG
garc.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Do you know anything about science? Do you know how babies are formed? You must believe that the earth is flat. You lack of knowledge about science is astonishing.
MidTnAg
AG
Although it varies by religion, many people believe that after they die, they will somehow not actually die but be transformed back into their body to live on some other planet somewhere in the universe for eternity.

I don't believe this so I asked the questions:

What lives after we die?
What does it do and where does it go?

I still have had no one give me their beliefs in these areas. I guess I never will.
I believe when any living thing dies, it dies. It does not fly away or whatever.
Zobel
AG
Go get that strawman, tiger! You're doing great!
cr
MidTnAg said:

garc.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Do you know anything about science? Do you know how babies are formed? You must believe that the earth is flat. You lack of knowledge about science is astonishing.

I asked for the scientific explanation and you respond with an ad hom. It appears you don't understand the science behind it either. I didn't think you did.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.