Religious Question: What is afterlife? What exists after death?

5,592 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cr
MidTnAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is afterlife? What exists after death?

Wikipedia: "The afterlife (also referred to as life after death or the hereafter) is the belief that an essential part of an individual's identity or consciousness continues to exist after the death of the body."

I have been involved in science most of my life. I believe in the laws of nature.
I do not believe in magic.

Thus, I do not believe that after we die, magic occurs and somehow some part of us continues to live.

Question: What lives after we die?
What does it do and where does it go?
dermdoc
AG
As a Christian, I believe in the full body resurrection of believers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
MidTnAg said:

I have been involved in science most of my life. I believe in the laws of nature.

Thus, I do not believe that after we die, magic occurs and somehow some part of us continues to live.
I'm unaware where science has definitively ruled out the possibility of an afterlife. Are you not going beyond the scientific method and placing your own suppositions upon what we know about the universe/creation? How unscientific of you.
Aggrad08
AG
What do you think happens to the currently dead?
dermdoc
AG
Full body resurrection. Good folks get perfect bodies and communion with God. Bad folks get judged. In other words, it will be how God planned life to be before we screwed it up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
Body and soul are united in one person. Death is the unnatural separation of body and soul. Those united to Christ will one day be resurrected to eternal glory. Those not will be judged for what they did in this life and condemned to eternal hell.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

Full body resurrection. Good folks get perfect bodies and communion with God. Bad folks get judged. In other words, it will be how God planned life to be before we screwed it up.

Why do you need a full body resurrection if you wind up in a completely different body?
unimboti nkum
AG
Any conjecture regarding an after-life is mere speculation, supported by absolutely nothing.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Why do you need a full body resurrection if you wind up in a completely different body?

1 Corinthians 15 speaks to many of the questions on this thread.

50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

God is absolutely Holy, uniquely perfect and for humans to dwell in His presence He doesn't change His nature or His standard. He pays the price of our sins and at a future time fixes everything that's currently broken in our cursed human nature. In our lives we've only ever experienced a cursed human nature but imagine having a kid who by nature shares his/her toys vs being selfish and fighting for them, a kids who obeys vs rebels, a baby who doesn't arch their backs and fight you vs you do what's best for them by changing their diaper. Imagine no more protesting because everyone loves each other perfectly, no more entitlement, frustration, cancer, sin.
dermdoc
AG
unimboti nkum said:

Any conjecture regarding an after-life is mere speculation, supported by absolutely nothing.
And that it is why it is called faith my friend.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

So is my faith in something else that is unsupported by evidence equally justified and worthy of respect? What distinguishes your unsupported beliefs from the infinite number of things that we can't rule out?
What is considered evidence? Only that collected by the natural sciences via the Baconian method?

To answer your question though, they are distinguished by truth and error.
jkag89
AstroAg17 said:

He said that he didn't believe in those things. He didn't say they were impossible.
He firmly placed his beliefs upon the pedestal of science and dismissed the afterlife as magic, I simply pointed out he was being unscientific in determining his own world view. Believers are often accused of seeing God in the gaps, which is certainly fair, but atheist are often just as guilty of the reverse.
Aggrad08
AG
Their bodies are still in the ground? It seems Christians in the first century and beyond understood bodily resurrection to mean the literal bodies of the dead.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
MidTnAg said:

What is afterlife? What exists after death?

Wikipedia: "The afterlife (also referred to as life after death or the hereafter) is the belief that an essential part of an individual's identity or consciousness continues to exist after the death of the body."

Question: What lives after we die?
What does it do and where does it go?
Any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic to those who don't understand it.

I believe there is more to the universe than we can see or identify with our current technology.

Just because we can't explain the physics behind it, yet, doesn't mean it's "magic".
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dermdoc
AG
Per dirt diver above

The dead will be raised imperishably
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

You can't demonstrate which is truth and which is in error, so that's not a possible method of distinguishing.
What do you mean I can't demonstrate it?
DirtDiver

Quote:

So is my faith in something else that is unsupported by evidence equally justified and worthy of respect? What distinguishes your unsupported beliefs from the infinite number of things that we can't rule out?

I don't think it is the quality or quantity of ones faith that makes it worthy of respect. It's about the object of ones faith. If I place a miniscule amount of faith in a parachute when jumping out of an airplane that's better than placing all of the faith humanly possible into an rope with an anvil attached and trusting that to save me as I jump out of a plane.

The Koran for example makes claims about Jesus many centuries after the life of Jesus that contracdict the Bible. It's it more reasonable to believe what James, John, Paul, Luke, Matthew, and Peter say about Jesus over Muhammad?

As a Christian my belief is supported historical claims of eye witnesses, the existence of a cursed creation, seeing what the Bible calls sin has tremendous negative consequences in my life and the life of others (experience), the conviction felt when spending time reading the scriptures. Seeing people's from other nation thrive in such a way from entering a relationship with Jesus in ways that simply humanitarian aide cannot do.
dermdoc
AG
Amen. And I have personal testimonies of what my faith has done for me and my family.
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

Proof. A claim that something is true would require proof.
1. God promises the resurrection of the dead.
2. God cannot lie.

therefore,

There will be a resurrection of the dead.
Martin Q. Blank
Scripture has been posted for #1 already. Hebrews 6:18 and others show God cannot lie.

so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

Well, proving that God can't lie by quoting God is obviously flawed
God cannot lie. -Martin Q. Blank

Better?
Rocag
AG
I tend to think my afterlife will be pretty similar to my beforelife in that I'll have no ability to experience it at all.
dermdoc
AG
By definition how do you validate faith?
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

By definition how do you validate faith?

Isn't the point of faith that what you have faith in can't be validated at the time?
Athanasius
AG
OP: Your comment about magic...

Do you believe that anything can be known as true beyond what the scientific method can show us?

i.e. is the scientific method the only way to find true information?
MidTnAg
AG
Quote:

I'm unaware where science has definitively ruled out the possibility of an afterlife. Are you not going beyond the scientific method and placing your own suppositions upon what we know about the universe/creation? How unscientific of you.
Science has not and probably never will be able to determine if there is or is not an afterlife, a god, a heaven, or a hell. Because I do not believe in magic does not mean that I am unscientific.

Quote:

Full body resurrection: Where does this body that is resurrected come from? Because the person who dies doesn't get up and walk away.

Perfect bodies: So, the resurrected body will NOT be identical to the original body that died? How do you know that?

Quote:

OP: Your comment about magic...
Do you believe that anything can be known as true beyond what the scientific method can show us?
i.e. is the scientific method the only way to find true information?

Definitely not. The scientific method (SM) is obviously an extremely important in investigations. But there are many truths outside of the SM. If I am standing under a shade tree, I don't need the SM to tell me that the tree is taller than I am.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.