50/50 Chance

8,047 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Adam and Eve had a 50/50 chance of not eating of the forbidden fruit and surely dying.

What did the Lord do to try and improve those odds?

I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around this simple fact that they had a 50/50 chance of living forever or surely perishing and knowing evil.

Who's to say if not Adam and Eve then one of their kids eating of the fruit? So let's consider this hypothetical and dig deeper; say Cain, since he seems more throw-able under the bus, had eaten fruit of the forbidden tree, would all of Cain and his line died, eventually, while Abel and all his descendants went on living eternally; barring their eating of the wrong fruit?
kurt vonnegut
AG
Why do you assert there was an equal chance for the two options - eating the fruit / not eating the fruit?
dds08
AG
On one hand, they did get to experience paradise. An oasis on earth.

That and a unimpeded relationship with the supreme ruler of all was reason enough to stay away from the forbidden fruit.

They experienced good before they experienced evil.
dds08
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Why do you assert there was an equal chance for the two options - eating the fruit / not eating the fruit?
They either obeyed or disobeyed.

50/50.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Either we will all die tomorrow from an incoming meteor or we won't. Only 2 options. . . . 50/50 chance.

Sorry dds, I don't really have anything relevant to add to your actual question, but I do take exception to the seemingly imprudency of the assertion of the accuracy of the stated probability. . . .also I've had a few Maker's and ginger ales. . . . .

I'll go to sleep now.
Sapper Redux
dds08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

50/50.

Like Kurt said, there's a lot of ways this could be influenced. Maybe God wrapped the fruit in bacon? In which case, 90/10 they're going to eat that damn fruit.
Beer Baron
AG
I'm either going to win the lottery tomorrow or I won't. 50/50 chance! I'd be stupid not to invest all my money in lottery tickets!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
If one of them hadn't eaten the fruit, one of their children likely would have.

Do you really believe that every choice you make is a 50/50 proposition? 50% chance you do it, 50% chance you don't?

Frankly, I believe the Adam & Eve story to be an allegory of humanity achieving sentience and free will resulting in humanity's separation from God. Not a historical accounting as we would consider such now.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dds08
AG
You can either do what the Lord tells you to do or you can do what Satan tells you to do.

Two spirits. One real, the other kind of fake but has a voice.

There are only two. The self doesn't count because although you might think you have a choice in the matter, going against what the Lord would have you do is ultimately siding with Satan. Doing what the Lord would have you do is doing what he wants you to do and what your own soul would really want you to do, when it's all said and done.

In high school biology you learn real quick that there are certain processes that go on, unconsciously that keep you alive. There are things at work here that we have no control over. Yes we have free will but ultimately God is in control. How, it all works, don't ask.
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
I need to rethink Vegas odds now that I know it's 50/50.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggrad08 said:

I need to rethink Vegas odds now that I know it's 50/50.
This! I'm torn on which way to go for the November 18 Alabama vs Mercer game. Hmmmm, Alabama or Mercer. Either one could win or lose. I'll just go w/ the trusted coin flip......Mercer it is! I'm gonna be swimming in my winnings like Scrooge McDuck.

Star Wars Memes Only
Beer Baron said:

I'm either going to win the lottery tomorrow or I won't. 50/50 chance! I'd be stupid not to invest all my money in lottery tickets!

You should buy ten tickets. Since each ticket has a 50/50 chance this improves your odds of winning the lottery to 1023/1024.
Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

if they had eternal life and were capable of deciding to eat the fruit, then the probability of them eating the fruit was 1.

This seems wrong to me. What am I missing?
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Beer Baron said:

You should buy ten tickets. Since each ticket has a 50/50 chance this improves your odds of winning the lottery to 1023/1024.
Excuse me while I go to the gas station to buy tickets!

Star Wars Memes Only
Not all nonzero infinite series / integrals converge to a number greater than or equal to 1.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
I think the moral of the story here is the whole situation is completely arbitrary, as with most stuff in the Bible.
Woody2006
AG
If God knew they were going to eat the fruit before creating them, then there was a 100% chance they were going to eat it...
dds08
AG
Now hypothetically speaking, let's just say, the world started off in reverse, with evil (humans walked on thorns instead of earth, drank poison instead of water, and breathed pollution instead of clean air), then one day humans were tempted by a dove, instead of a snake, to do good.

A a garden cesspool of Eve where Satan was responsible for us and the Lord was the one doing the tempting.

I have a creative imagination.

On a different note, I wonder why it was called, the Garden of Eve, and not the Garden of Adam. Did the female human Eve, and the garden have any connection?
Dad-O-Lot
AG
dds08 said:

Now hypothetically speaking, let's just say, the world started off in reverse, with evil (humans walked on thorns instead of earth, drank poison instead of water, and breathed pollution instead of clean air), then one day humans were tempted by a dove, instead of a snake, to do good.

A a garden cesspool of Eve where Satan was responsible for us and the Lord was the one doing the tempting.

I have a creative imagination.

On a different note, I wonder why it was called, the Garden of Eve, and not the Garden of Adam. Did the female human Eve, and the garden have any connection?
It was called the Garden of Eden, not Eve
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dds08
AG
Right, right, right.

I knew that.

How forgetful I am.
Post removed:
by user
dds08
AG
Dr. Watson said:

dds08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

50/50.

Like Kurt said, there's a lot of ways this could be influenced. Maybe God wrapped the fruit in bacon? In which case, 90/10 they're going to eat that damn fruit.
HA ha ha!

A pig/hog would have had to have been killed.

Death didn't exist at this time.
dds08
AG
AstroAg17 said:

If you can drink poison, it isn't poisonous.
So many ppm of lead can be safely drunken.

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
Yea, what did the tigers eat?
TexAgs91
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Beer Baron said:

I identify as Ultra-MAGA
gordo97
AG
salad with ranch dressing........ I'm pretty sure tigers prefer ranch dressing
kurt vonnegut
AG
dds08 said:

Dr. Watson said:

dds08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

50/50.

HA ha ha!

I think I am becoming convinced that the 'fall' was a reward and not a punishment. The facts: pre-fall --> no bacon. post- fall --> bacon
Sapper Redux
kurt vonnegut said:

dds08 said:

Dr. Watson said:

dds08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

50/50.

HA ha ha!

I think I am becoming convinced that the 'fall' was a reward and not a punishment. The facts: pre-fall --> no bacon. post- fall --> bacon

This leads to a logical fallacy that dooms the entire idea of Eden: Bacon must be part of Paradise. For bacon to exist, a pig must die. There is no death in Paradise. Therefore, Paradise cannot exist.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Dr. Watson said:

kurt vonnegut said:

dds08 said:

Dr. Watson said:

dds08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

50/50.

HA ha ha!

This leads to a logical fallacy that dooms the entire idea of Eden: Bacon must be part of Paradise. For bacon to exist, a pig must die. There is no death in Paradise. Therefore, Paradise cannot exist.
dds08
AG
~sigh~

I don't know how it all works, but it's okay.

With faith, I don't have to know how it all works!

I have faith my body will perform what it needs to do without knowing what it does.

I'm still alive aren't I? You all are alive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.