When God and Parents conflict

3,883 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do you do in a situation where your parents are saying to do one thing, but God tells you to do differently?

There have been countless times when my parents seem to encourage me to go a certain way when, I know good and well the Lord would have me go, otherwise, in the complete opposite direction.

Case in point: There have been times when my father has encouraged me to cheat on school projects, or go meet women with the sole intentions to fornicate with them, or when we're riding along, in the car, and we see beggars on the side of the road he shuns, bad mouths, them and discourages giving them any money.

What is a son to do? You're torn between obeying and respecting your parents when you know that this vision and way of living/way of thinking does not honor the Lord or fit into anything of the Lord.

These are the same parents who for years dragged us to church every Sunday whether we wanted to go or not. Their parents did the same to them, when they were young, and so forth and so on.

Martin Q. Blank
I would say listen to your parents no matter what. Especially his advice on giving money to panhandlers.
dds08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I would say listen to your parents no matter what. Especially his advice on giving money to panhandlers.
EL oh EL!

Well then, don't take us to church then. Teach us the ways of evil and the dark side and how to be good at evil and doing wrong.

All this lukewarm wishy-washy half good half evil...... NO!

We need to be sinister expert evil persons.
Martin Q. Blank
Giving money to lazy drug/alcohol addicts is evil. Get them help.
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

What do you do in a situation where your parents are saying to do one thing, but God tells you to do differently?
Always go w/ God. If you feel the Spirit leading you in a way, follow the Spirit regardless of what your parents say. That doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful about it though.

Quote:

Case in point: There have been times when my father has encouraged me to cheat on school projects, or go meet women with the sole intentions to fornicate with them, or when we're riding along, in the car, and we see beggars on the side of the road he shuns, bad mouths, them and discourages giving them any money.
These are clear-cut, IMO. Don't cheat, no matter what your father says. Don't view women as objects and use them for sex, no matter what your father says. As for the beggars, don't shun or bad-mouth them, regardless of what your father says. The last issue is a big one for me. I don't advise simply handing money out your window, but that doesn't mean we shun them. Pull over, get out of your car, talk to them. More importantly, listen to them. Hear their struggles and needs, then meet those needs. Sometimes those needs are money. Many times they are not. Most often, I have found that what they really need is relationship.

Quote:

What is a son to do? You're torn between obeying and respecting your parents when you know that this vision and way of living/way of thinking does not honor the Lord or fit into anything of the Lord.
If it doesn't honor the Lord, don't do it. If it is sinful, don't do it. His way is our first and most supreme priority. Always be respectful to your parents, but obeying them to commit sinful acts doesn't absolve us of the sin.

Aggrad08
AG
Don't give Money to panhandlers it truly doesn't help them. And it won't kill you to get your d!ck wet every now and then
dds08
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Don't give Money to panhandlers it truly doesn't help them. And it won't kill you to get your d!ck wet every now and then
AIDS kills. Condoms will not protect you from HPV. Moreover, condoms is like playing Russian roulette, they have microscopic holes in them. Plus you're playing with fire with fornication emotionally.

You go an fornicate up a storm, take you're sinful encouragement elsewhere.
dds08
AG
Aggrad08 said:

You will not reach the promised land.
Aggrad08
AG
Haha, it's funny the crap people convince themselves of to fear sex so much. Condemns are Russian roulette?, perhaps you should look up the respective odds between those things.

It was a lighthearted comment, you getting all worked up convinces me even more you need to get laid.

And there is no promised land, so I'm not worried about it.
Post removed:
by user
Star Wars Memes Only
You should do what you believe is the right thing to do. If you believe fornication and not giving people hand outs is the right thing to do then do so. If you think chastity and charity are right, do that. I'm not religious so I can't give you a Christian perspective on this, but the most you can ask from a person is that he does what he thinks is ethically correct. I think this is probably true across creeds and nationalities.
Post removed:
by user
dds08
AG
If you believe you can have your cake and eat it to okay. I believe that you believe it.
Star Wars Memes Only
I get what that phrase is saying, but it always seemed odd to me. Cake is best experienced by eating it. I highly recommend it.
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

I get what that phrase is saying, but it always seemed odd to me. Cake is best experienced by eating it. I highly recommend it.
Cake sucks. Pie or gtfo!
schmendeler
AG
dds08 said:

Aggrad08 said:

AIDS kills. Condoms will not protect you from HPV. Moreover, condoms is like playing Russian roulette, they have microscopic holes in them. Plus you're playing with fire with fornication emotionally.

You go an fornicate up a storm, take you're sinful encouragement elsewhere.

What a flashback to middle school health class.
Star Wars Memes Only
RetiredAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Cake sucks. Pie or gtfo!

Hmm, explain more please. I'm piecurious.
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

RetiredAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Cake sucks. Pie or gtfo!

Hmm, explain more please. I'm piecurious.
Well, since you're a sciency person, I'll put it in sciency terms.

Cake Versus Pie: A Scientific Approach

1. Ability of enjoyment to be sustained over time

2. Unequal frosting distribution is a problem

3. Pie appears to contain a greater relative volume of enjoyable substances.

4. Pie is more scientifically versatile:

5. Pie is relevant in a greater variety of situations:

6. Cake has much more severe, longer lasting consequences than pie:

Therefore...

dds08
AG
Once in high school, for science fair I consulted my math teacher for project ideas and he recommended this project dealing with satellites. He seemed quite enthusiastic about it.

I thought to myself; "this stuff is way over my head. I have no clue where to even begin! I don't stand a chance with this. My math teacher would basically have to do this project for me for there to be any significant progress made."

I honestly gave it a look over and I was completely lost and came to the conclusion that if I were to pursue this, that the amount of help needed would be too much to honestly get anywhere or so much assistance would be given that it wouldn't honestly be my own work.

Long story short, I went in a different direction. I ended up making it past the area science fair but once I got to the district level where they have students from all over the district show up at the reliant center, OH BOY!

Students were presenting projects on cancer research and terrorist proof building design/architecture.

~Sigh~ Life sucks at times and there is thoroughly and honestly nothing you can do about it.

To this day my father jabs at me for not going with the satellite project. I mean he really rubs it in too. He's forgiven, in all honesty but sometimes I'm just ready for the Lords second coming already.

I'm done.
Martin Q. Blank
Is this your dad?
Eliminatus
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Haha, it's funny the crap people convince themselves of to fear sex so much. Condemns are Russian roulette?, perhaps you should look up the respective odds between those things.

It was a lighthearted comment, you getting all worked up convinces me even more you need to get laid.

And there is no promised land, so I'm not worried about it.
I think he is scared of it. Clearly a virgin!

(I am actually kinda half serious. Cousin acts the same way)

DDS: Go for it! Taste the forbidden fruit! SOOOO GOOD!

Just kidding. Kinda. Fornicating is awesome. But that's me. My advice? Do what you want and what you feel. If you think it is bad, then don't do it. It really is that simple I promise.
TexAgs91
AG
I'm thinking we're not talking to a child here. dds08, if you're an adult you should listen to your dad's advice. Listen to your conscience. But how you live your life and the decisions you make and live with are up to you.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Woody2006
AG
This is a fun thread.
Athanasius
AG
God says honor your parents.

But, God > parents

Use judgement.
AggieRain
AG
Quote:

Case in point: There have been times when my father has encouraged me to cheat on school projects, or go meet women with the sole intentions to fornicate with them
Dad
dds08
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Always go w/ God. If you feel the Spirit leading you in a way, follow the Spirit regardless of what your parents say. That doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful about it though.

Quote:

These are clear-cut, IMO. Don't cheat, no matter what your father says. Don't view women as objects and use them for sex, no matter what your father says. As for the beggars, don't shun or bad-mouth them, regardless of what your father says. The last issue is a big one for me. I don't advise simply handing money out your window, but that doesn't mean we shun them. Pull over, get out of your car, talk to them. More importantly, listen to them. Hear their struggles and needs, then meet those needs. Sometimes those needs are money. Many times they are not. Most often, I have found that what they really need is relationship.

Quote:

If it doesn't honor the Lord, don't do it. If it is sinful, don't do it. His way is our first and most supreme priority. Always be respectful to your parents, but obeying them to commit sinful acts doesn't absolve us of the sin.

When you give, your right hand is not supposed to know what your left hand is doing.

I would go even further to say your brain shouldn't know what your hands are doing.

Accept or reject it.
dds08
AG
TexAgs91 said:

I'm thinking we're not talking to a child here. dds08, if you're an adult you should listen to your dad's advice. Listen to your conscience. But how you live your life and the decisions you make and live with are up to you.
Children will be greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

It's written. It was spoken.
dds08
AG
Anyone who leads a little one astray. well

There's something for those too. It was spoken.
schmendeler
AG
Gas, grass, or ass. It was spoken.
Woody2006
AG
schmendeler said:

Gas, grass, or ass. It was spoken.

And here's hoping it's grass or ass.
schmendeler
AG
Word
dds08
AG
If you wanna bad mouth the poor, the invalids, and the beggars, then bad mouth them.

Don't pollute my peace while we are in the car to the point where I have to ride along and listen to that garbage.

One of these days, perhaps, I'll ask him to pull over and let me walk.
Eliminatus
AG
ETA: I have no idea what happened to this post. Phone tried casting some dark magic I think.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.