The Dormition (for k2)

1,092 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggiefan#1
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

K2, was wondering what insights you might be able to share on the Dormition from the Orthodox perspective and it's relation to the Orthodox theology of Mary. Was listening to a video from Dr. Taylor Marshall about the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and he shared some info on the Dormition and it's relationship with the Immaculate Conception.

Thanks in advance.

Zobel
AG
That's asking for a book I'm not sure I can write. I'll try to answer some later.
Zobel
AG
Some thoughts, in no particular order.

It seems to me if you ask most modern Christians who we're supposed to be like, they'd say Christ. And of course they're not wrong. But if pressed, I think the person we Orthodox attempt to emulate in many ways is the Theotokos. She was blessed, full of grace...not because, perhaps, because she was particularly special genetically or by beauty or intellect but because she was faithful. We celebrate her obedience. When faced with a charge that would inspire people to reject even out of humility or fear of megalomania -- to give birth to God! - she simply acquiesced, saying "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word."

St Maximos tells us:
Quote:

Naturally endowed with the holiness of the divine image, the intelligence urges the soul to conform itself by its own free choice to the divine likeness, in this way the soul is able to participate in the great kingdom that exists in a substantive manner in God, the Father of all, and to become a translucent abode of the Holy Spirit, receiving - if it may be expressed in this way - the whole authority of the knowledge of the divine nature in so far as this is possible...

In souls such as this Christ always desires to be born in a mystical way, becoming incarnate in those who attain salvation, and making the soul that gives birth to Him a Virgin Mother...
We are to be like the Theotokos, who's womb contained the uncontainable, became "more spacious than the heavens".

We honor her because she did what we should do. And so, even in her death, we honor her as a great example of piety, grace, and obedience. All of what we say about her is really praise for Him. It is in this context that the Orthodox service on the Feast of the Dormition that we read:
Quote:

As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said, "Blessed is the womb that bore You, and blessed are the breasts that nursed You." But He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."
This is sometimes framed as a rebuke of Mary or of those who honor her. On the contrary, this is the highest praise. She wasn't blessed because of something that happened to her, but because she heard and obeyed.

////
We don't have the doctrine of the Immaculate conception in Orthodoxy, and we don't say she's a co-redemtrix or anything like that. So that's about all I can say about those topics, I suppose.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thanks.

Does the Orthodox theology of the Theotokos include Mary's body remaining uncorrupted?
Zobel
AG
Theology is knowledge of God, so it can't be said about the Theotokos. She's a creation. Minor quibble, sorry.

And I don't think so. Tradition says she was bodily taken into heaven after her death, but it's not like a dogma or doctrine.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thank you! Always appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Doc Daneeka
Mary should not be worshiped. She was a human. She did not stay a virigin. HTH
Zobel
AG
Agree.
Agree.
Baseless opinion counter to centuries of Church teaching including that of nearly all of the reformers.

Hth
Aggiefan#1
AG
Doc Daneeka is a boring poster. The type that offer nothing because they know nothing.

"Your wrong"!!!

Why?

"Cuz!!"

Thanks for the info

"Done did told that moran"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.