Beautiful acts of forgiveness

882 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GigEmAgs15
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the father of Heather Heyer, the woman murdered by the white supremacist in Charlottesville. Acts of forgiveness in situations like these are so beautiful and a far more powerful witness to Christ than any response the world can offer.

Marco Esquandolas
AG
Absolutely right. That is what radical love looks like. No grandstanding or attention grabbing there.. Just
as racism and hate must be learned, that level of love has to be taught. People will look at that guy and think "wow, how is he capable of that?". And they will see that he is simply following Jesus example.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
R&P apparently has nothing to say about this.
AGC
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

R&P apparently has nothing to say about this.

It's been stared six times. What's to say? Seems like we agree.

I take more issue with your assertion that racism and hate are learned. Raising two kids I can tell you that a two year old is filled with the most vile hate imaginable and no way to act upon it. I didn't need to teach mine, nor does any other parent need to teach theirs. That is a distinctly unchristian doctrine.
PacifistAg
AG
Hate and racism are learned. Now, if you want to say that selfishness and fear are not, that I could be more in agreement with. Those can easily morph into hate and racism. But I've yet to see a child just "naturally" be racist or filled with hate. Perhaps the seeds of these evils are in everyone, but whether they grow will depend on whether they're watered by those around them.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
In the dictionary there are two definitions of hatred. One is "extreme dislike or disgust." The other is "prejudiced hostility or animosity." Me and retired have the second one in mind, not the generalized
nastiness that comes out of a toddler.

I don't know how that isn't completely obvious, but there's your clarification anyway.
AGC
AG
RetiredAg said:

Hate and racism are learned. Now, if you want to say that selfishness and fear are not, that I could be more in agreement with. Those can easily morph into hate and racism. But I've yet to see a child just "naturally" be racist or filled with hate. Perhaps the seeds of these evils are in everyone, but whether they grow will depend on whether they're watered by those around them.

Except there's a whole body of in-group out-group research on children that suggests the opposite. They notice differences and react to them, race specifically. You might argue that the reasons used to revile other races are learned, but the distrust is quite natural and could logically seek its own justification if not taught otherwise.

Which suggests btw, the opposite, that they must be taught not to distrust those that look differently, much like they must taught not to be selfish.
PacifistAg
AG
Distrust isn't the same as "hate and racism". I may meet someone new and distrust them. It doesn't mean I hate them.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Beautiful show of forgiveness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.