Natural Family Planning - Now There's an App For That

600 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Swedish physicist revolutionising birth control
By Maddy Savage - BBC News

Quote:

Inventing the first app in the world to be approved as a contraceptive started as a hobby project for Elina Berglund Scherwitzl. The nuclear physicist, who'd been working on the team that discovered the Higgs boson, was tired of using hormonal contraception but wasn't ready to have a baby. So the Swede set about using her data skills to find an alternative.
Quote:

The researchers - which included the co-founding couple - found that 7% of women who used the app in a "typical" way (allowing for some human error) got pregnant, compared to 9% taking the pill and less than 1% using IUD coils.

Against this background, Mrs Berglund Scherwitzl accepts that her product relies on women sticking closely to the app's instructions and therefore might not be for everyone, not least because it also fails to protect its users from sexually transmitted diseases.

"Just like the pill we need some effort from the user on a daily basis. But we really hope to be the default alternative if you don't want to use hormonal contraception or IUDs," she argues.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
That's not new.

Creighton NFP App
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
jkag89
Dad-O-Lot said:

That's not new.

Creighton NFP App
Of course it isn't. I'm sure the algorithm developed by the young physicist in the article might refine NFP and the App probably simplify things but nothing here is as earth shattering as presented by the author of this piece, that is why I decided to go ahead and start a thread with a link.
JayAggie
AG
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/this-female-nuclear-physicist-just-created-a-fertility-app-68975/

Goes into a little more detail about the differences between Creighton, Symptothermal, etc. And yes there are Apps already out there for different methods. We use one of the apps, but honestly my wife does most of the data input so couldn't tell you how user friendly it is.

I'm assuming the significance is that the App has the step-by-step instructions on what to do, and thus a course isn't required to learn the method. Just follow instructions and you're set.

schmendeler
AG
sponsored by buy buy baby.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.