How many mutations occurred from chimp to human?

4,723 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chimpanzee
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chimps are our nearest living relative, correct? If I'm reading this correctly, 35 million single nucleotide differences and 90 million base pair insertions and deletions.
http://genome.cshlp.org/content/15/12/1746.full

The supposed "split" occurred 5-7 million years ago. So that is a rate of 5-7 single nucleotide differences and 13-18 base pair insertions/deletions per year. Do we observe this rate of change today in mutations?
Polygon
We observe far more than that
Zobel
AG
And you have to assume that half of the mutations are beneficial while the others aren't. And then that beneficial mutations actually win out and reproduce successfully.
Amazing Moves
Sapper Redux
k2aggie07 said:

And you have to assume that half of the mutations are beneficial while the others aren't. And then that beneficial mutations actually win out and reproduce successfully.

Where are you getting that percentage?
Zobel
AG
I made it up of course.

I know it's not binary, because mutations could easily be neither beneficial or harmful. But still, if you flip a switch at random it would seem that help or hurt would be 50/50 at best.
TailG8TR
AG
Just for reference - the number of nucleotide variations in any two "normal" humans is in the several of million

"Scientists using data from the 1000 Genomes Project, which sequenced one thousand individuals from 26 human populations, found that "a typical [individual] genome differs from the reference human genome at 4.1 million to 5.0 million sites affecting 20 million bases of sequence." Nearly all (>99.9%) of these sites are small differences, either single nucleotide polymorphisms or brief insertion-deletions in the genetic sequence, but structural variations account for a greater number of base-pairs than the SNPs and indels.

The 1000 Genomes Project Consortium (2015-10-01). [url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4750478][/url]
kurt vonnegut
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I made it up of course.

I know it's not binary, because mutations could easily be neither beneficial or harmful. But still, if you flip a switch at random it would seem that help or hurt would be 50/50 at best.

Would it be expected that the animals that were more likely to breed would be those with more than 50% 'good' mutations?
Zobel
AG
Yeah that's kind of what I meant. In super simple terms - lets say there are 100 mutations at random, 50 more useful and 50 less useful. Less useful includes anything that prevents reproduction, inviability, whatever.

Then of the 50 good ones, nature is a rough place. Even the best most suitable once in a million mutations may just die from dumb luck - a predator, a fall, a disease, who knows.
Sapper Redux
Good and bad are kind of meaningless distinctions. Many mutations are going to be completely neutral. They could, over time, lead to significant differences between populations of a species without making one population more or less advantaged than another. They could switch on lines of genetic code that were otherwise dormant, causing more differences and distinctions. But the immediate impact on an individual animal might be neutral. I think you're trying too hard to see agency in the patterns of reproduction and selection. Sometimes the selection mechanism and impact is apparent, but even then, it might last a generation and then regress towards the mean. Only over time will things add up.
Zobel
AG
I'm not sure any mutation could be said to be neutral. Like you said, long term even an apparently neutral mutation matters. With the aid of hindsight you could probably classify all of them in a binary fashion.
Aggrad08
AG
Most mutations are much closer to neutral than anything. As you said, nature is rough, having a defection won't tend to propagate long or at all if it's significant.
Martin Q. Blank
Polygon said:

We observe far more than that
Please explain. The entire human and chimpanzee species go through 13-18 insertion/deletion mutations per year?
AggieHank86
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Chimps are our nearest living relative, correct? If I'm reading this correctly, 35 million single nucleotide differences and 90 million base pair insertions and deletions.

The supposed "split" occurred 5-7 million years ago. So that is a rate of 5-7 single nucleotide differences and 13-18 base pair insertions/deletions per year. Do we observe this rate of change today in mutations?
I think that your math is off. Divide by two.

The human/chimp divergence is the last common ancestor. Both branches continued to evolve/mutate thereafter, so it is reasonable to assume that half of the mutations occurred on each branch.
94chem
Which human?
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
Thank you. You're saying it's not possible to observe evolution (at least in humans & chimps)?
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Ironically, you believe that mankind diversified (incestuously) to all the different races and peoples we see today in a timeframe that is a fraction of what the rest of us believe.

FlyFish95
I'm more interested in know why some things became plants and other things became animals.
Zobel
AG
I was being a bit more theoretical than that.

I get that there are basically inconsequential changes on the macro scale. What I meant was, with perfect knowledge (let's say we can look back at the branching of every mutation and the result) nothing will truly be neutral. A bit too philosophical, probably.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Even so, if that mutation has no effect in isolation, it may ultimately result in an accumulated change. That's what I'm getting at.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Yeah, it was an arbitrary assumption for simplicity's sake. I think it's probably bounded at the positive end at 50/50.
amercer
AG
Even if it's not an amino acid change, it may effect regulation on the DNA or RNA level. Of course there is also a lot of DNA that never gets transcribed so mutations there may truly do nothing.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
This is the kind of thread we need more of around here. Very informative.

Thanks.
mesocosm
AG
AstroAg17 said:

What you said earlier about mutations being equally likely to help or harm isn't correct though. Mutations are much more likely to be harmful and decrease fitness. Orders of magnitude more likely, I think.

You are incorrect. Most mutations are neutral
Religion is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world - Bertrand Russell
Post removed:
by user
dds08
AG
I sincerely doubt chimpanzees/apes evolved over a period of time to acquire the ability to reason or have self-awareness or creativity or develop a concept of law as homo sapiens have.
amercer
AG
There are a lot of correct statements that can be made on this subject, that are none the less confusing.

There are 3 billion DNA base pairs in the human genome (give or take)

Most of that DNA doesn't get translated into protein.

Because of the degeneracy in the genetic code, a lot of mutations even in protein coding sequences won't result in changes in the amino acid sequence being changed.

Having said all of that, a mutation that does result in an amino acid change is much more likely to be detrimental than positive.

(Caveat inside a caveat, sometimes a detrimental mutation still provides a fitness advantage in certain circumstances. See: sickle-cell anaemia)

Of course, the DNA in your genome doesn't just make proteins. Lots of DNA is regulatory and lots gets turned into all sorts of RNA. So mutations there can have a big effect too.

But none of the above matters at all unless the piece of DNA that gets mutated is under selection pressure. Since any two healthy people on earth will differ by millions of base pairs, clearly not all DNA is under selection pressure at all times.
amercer
AG
dds08 said:

I sincerely doubt chimpanzees/apes evolved over a period of time to acquire the ability to reason or have self-awareness or creativity or develop a concept of law as homo sapiens have.

And yet, no chimpanzees or apes have ever foisted a Donald Trump upon the world.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.