Is There a Moral Duty to Disclose That You’re Transgender to a Potential Partner?

1,944 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't had the chance to read, but I've had this talk with trans friends of mine. Yes, I do believe one has a moral obligation to disclose anything that of could reasonably anticipate could be a deal-breaker. Now, to add to that, from a practical perspective, if the person has transitioned but not had reassignment surgery, then it's also a matter of safety. But I'll always err on the side of honesty.
Post removed:
by user
Solo Tetherball Champ
Thank God I'm married.

Seamaster
AG
That it's even a question tells me our culture has lost its collective mind.
AggieRain
AG
Yes
2 Times Ag `88 `14
Seamaster said:

That it's even a question tells me our culture has lost its collective mind.
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

just one type of lie would be hypocritical.
I think there is a moral duty to abstain from sex until marriage. However, this is not just one lie among others to get into bed. This lie goes against the very nature of sex itself: man and woman coming together as one.
amercer
AG
"Therefore, the person who wants to avoid having sex with someone of the same sex or someone of the opposite sex can for purposes of deciding on consenting to intimacy make his or her own judgment about whether the partner "counts" as a woman or as a man, and to do that, he or she would likely want to know what the genitals of the person are at this time and maybe what gender was assigned at birth."

I'm going to file this under the title of "understatement of the decade"

Why do I think the academic lunch group in that article would have a very different response if the question was about a straight man pretending to be a lesbian in order to have sex with a lesbian. I'm pretty sure to a person they would all call that rape....
Solo Tetherball Champ
amercer said:

Why do I think the academic lunch group in that article would have a very different response if the question was about a straight man pretending to be a lesbian in order to have sex with a lesbian. I'm pretty sure to a person they would all call that rape....

You're forgetting that if it weren't for double standards, they wouldn't have any standards.
Post removed:
by user
amercer
AG
Why does it matter how he would do it?

If you know (or ever have reason to believe) that your partner doesn't want to sleep with a man/woman/post op, then not telling them is not gaining consent for sex.
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I agree with you. A person should disclose all relevant info to their partner so they can make an informed decision, regardless of whether they think it should matter.

I think they have a moral obligation, but they shouldn't have a legal obligation. So many sexual encounters are predicated on lies, a legal restriction on just one type of lie would be hypocritical.
Agreed.
DirtDiver
I think the question assumes a moral standard which begs, what is the standard and who sets it?
2 Times Ag `88 `14
DirtDiver said:

I think the question assumes a moral standard which begs, what is the standard and who sets it?
uh......uh......something render Caesar and uh.....judge not lest ye be judged.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
Colleague 7 nails it IMO.
amercer
AG
Pre op transsexuals do a pretty good job of it. Not to turn the thread too graphic, but I think there are ways of pulling it off (pun only partially unintended)

Skin is pretty visible as a means of a white supremacist choosing a mate.

Sex is a physical act. Consent to that act certainly involves knowing about the physical sexuality of your partner.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm of two minds. As far as a romantic relationship, trust and honesty are key. You shouldn't be in a relationship if you can't be honest.

OTOH, if we're talking purely physical encounters without emotional connection, then I find it hard to get upset. People lie to each other constantly in these situations. "What do you mean you're not really a Nobel Peace Prize winning astronaut?!!!". Make-up, Spanx and push up bras earn billions of misrepresenting physical attributes. Bars and clubs are poorly lit for a reason. I find it hard to get upset if someone finds out after the fact they took a transgender person home. As long as you are not actively endangering the other person through illness or similar, then in my mind it's no worse than what happens every day in those situations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

OTOH, if we're talking purely physical encounters without emotional connection, then I find it hard to get upset. People lie to each other constantly in these situations. "What do you mean you're not really a Nobel Peace Prize winning astronaut?!!!".
This made me immediately think of this:

ramblin_ag02
AG
I wonder if there is a Transgender Playbook?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FTAggies
ttps://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/12/gayle-newland-sentenced-eight-years-prison-duping-friend-having-sex
Here's an encounter that was certainly regretted in retrospect because it was based on a lie.

It's actually quite hilarious we're having this discussion, it's certainly relevant for people who engage in casual sex, which is common nowadays. But it also happens to people, rarely though, in long term relationships. Abstaining from sex until marriage and going through marriage prep would theoretically eliminate this problem for most men not wishing to have sex with a ******. Casual sex is so common we're willing to share the most intimate of encounters even before we share any true intimacy. We'll have sex with people all day long without even getting to know them. Sad.
Woody2006
AG
Edit. Wrong thread
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Everyone has moral standards. They're not all the same. The question is posed to your particular morality.
These are merely hypothetical imperatives.
RAB91
If I was dating someone who had a severe mental illness (treated or untreated), I would want to know. This falls into that category....
PacifistAg
AG
RAB91 said:

If I was dating someone who had a severe mental illness (treated or untreated), I would want to know. This falls into that category....
That's not what he's asking. The question isn't would you want to know. It's whether the other party has a moral obligation to inform you they are transgender. I think most would agree that they do, just as would be the case with anything that could be reasonably understood as a "deal-breaker".
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.