Punishment

5,861 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would be the punishment be for doing something unthinkable like burning a loved one's Bible?

Let's just say I have mighty peculiar/interesting family.
dds08
AG
A bipolar mother and a control freak father.
dds08
AG
Looking back, over the years; I'm convinced Satan himself has taken up residence at our house.

His activity occasionally comes to a culmination. ~sigh~
AGC
AG
I don't know what effect you're expecting the punishment to have or who exactly you're punishing. If they're burning your bible it sounds like you might need help from a therapist instead of a message board.
dds08
AG
AGC said:

I don't know what effect you're expecting the punishment to have or who exactly you're punishing. If they're burning your bible it sounds like you might need help from a therapist instead of a message board.
Oh, I will not be doing the punishing. I serve a God that will take care of that just fine without any help from me.

I'm just curious what the spiritual consequences would be for something like this. It happened a long time ago and my bible has since been replaced. I am over it by far.

I was just pondering the other day and had to ask my older sister if this truly happened when we were kids. I just cannot believe someone would get so angry and completely loose it so terribly, that they would be driven to do such a thing.

I have plenty of bibles. The bible gateway, on the internet, gives me access to translations that I would never have dreamed to be able to read. Internet concordances are more than convenient.

You might even ask, "Why even bring it up?" Well, we have arguments today over the same issue. Things don't get so bad that Bibles are burned but I have to experience a different kind a fire in the form of temper tantrums from the same perpetrator over the same issue. ~sigh~

My parents don't believe in seeing therapists. At least one of them don't. One does.
Texaggie7nine
If you serve a god of love, why desire any type of punishment? Love doesn't punish.
7nine
dds08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

If you serve a god of love, why desire any type of punishment? Love doesn't punish.
You're making an assumption that I desire for the perpetrator to be given a punishment.

The law of the Lord is hard as nails. I don't write the rules. Sinning comes with punishment. No man can get around this.

I would be trying to have my cake and eat it too if I thought I could sin into oblivion myself and not experience the repercussions in the form of punishment or consequences of some kind/form or another eventually.

dds08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

7nine seriously? What exactly is your thought process? You say things that just don't add up.

Parents who don't love their children let them run wild and never punish them.

I would go even further to say that if you never discipline your kids, you do NOT love your kids.
Martin Q. Blank
There is no punishment for burning a Bible except for the anger and ill will against the person they are trying to hurt. We are not Muslims. The word of the Lord should be treated with reverence, but the ink, pages, and binding is not what is valued. In fact, an old Bible should be burned out of respect instead of thrown away.
BanderaAg956
Is burning a bible a sin? Poor judgement and/or childish, sure.

I'd spend more time praying for your parents!
Texaggie7nine
Good parents punish for the sake of discipline, not retribution for daring to disobey them. Love disciplines in order to correct someone into living a better life in the future.

A god that simply punishes as an example for the rest or for retribution for disobeying would be a pretty crappy god.

It also doesn't sound you follow a loving god when you say you would sin all you could if you could not get punished. Even when I was a christian, I knew that sinning was something you did not want to do because you loved god, not because you would get punished.

7nine
dds08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

There is no punishment for burning a Bible except for the anger and ill will against the person they are trying to hurt. We are not Muslims. The word of the Lord should be treated with reverence, but the ink, pages, and binding is not what is valued. In fact, an old Bible should be burned out of respect instead of thrown away.
I would beg to differ.

If Moses was punished (seeing, but not making it to the promised land) for something as frivolous as hitting a rock, what would He, God, do to someone who heinously burned not one but nearly everyone's Holy Bible in the house? A book of major importance to loved ones.

A book people in certain parts of the world don't have access to and therefore have never heard the name, Jesus?

Sorry for the edits yall.
dds08
AG
drevans956 said:

Is burning a bible a sin? Poor judgement and/or childish, sure.

I'd spend more time praying for your parents!
Yes, it is a sin. I don't think the Lord would appreciate anyone burning a document of the Word of the Lord.

Especially if said document was near and dear to a loved one.
dds08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Good parents punish for the sake of discipline, not retribution for daring to disobey them. Love disciplines in order to correct someone into living a better life in the future.

A god that simply punishes as an example for the rest or for retribution for disobeying would be a pretty crappy god.

It also doesn't sound you follow a loving god when you say you would sin all you could if you could not get punished. Even when I was a christian, I knew that sinning was something you did not want to do because you loved god, not because you would get punished.

It's obvious you don't believe; why are you even here in this neck of the woods of this forum to begin with?
Martin Q. Blank
dds08 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I would beg to differ.

If Moses was punished (seeing, but not making it to the promised land) for something as frivolous as hitting a rock, what would He do to someone who burned not one but nearly everyone's Holy Bible in the house? A book of major importance to loved ones.

A book people in certain parts of the world don't have access to and therefore have never heard the name, Jesus?
Hitting a rock IS frivolous. I can go outside and do it right now. So why was he punished?
kurt vonnegut
AG
dds08 said:

It's obvious you don't believe; why are you even here in this neck of the woods of this forum to begin with?

Martin Q. Blank
If only atheists' words were blank.
booboo91
Martin Q. Blank said:

Hitting a rock IS frivolous. I can go outside and do it right now. So why was he punished?
Response to everyone.

1)Can also look at eating an fruit/apple on tree of knowledge- What is the big deal? Answer- Not trusting, obeying the lord, need to look at bigger picture and the symbolism.

2) I am convinced, God knows us better than ourselves. He knows the desires and temptations, emotions that we have (lust for sex,power, anger, pride,...) The key is relationship with Jesus. Knowing Jesus, trusting in him. When we fall we get up, say we are sorry and move on. Be honest with Jesus.

3) TO OP- Martin is right, no issue with burning bible other than deeper issue they have and also respect to you. Don't know dynamics of family, so can't comment further other than be the bigger person (humble) pray for them. Give it to God/Jesus. Let him fix it. if spiritual battle (Demons in your house)- then this is spiritual battle ground. Pray, Pray. This will bring you peace and help the family. Be patient- could take years.

See St. Monica persistent prayers over decades converted her heathen husband and son (St. Augustine- became great saint) St. Monica
Zobel
AG
Wish I had more stars for this.

It's just a book, it's an icon of the Word. It is not the Word.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank
Texaggie7nine
dds08 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

7nine seriously? What exactly is your thought process? You say things that just don't add up.

Parents who don't love their children let them run wild and never punish them.

I would go even further to say that if you never discipline your kids, you do NOT love your kids.
Because I like to discuss religion and philosophy.
7nine
kurt vonnegut
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
Texaggie7nine said:

Love does punish. Love is to act towards the highest good of the other. That may mean that I as a parent may have to rebuke and punish my son, and then as he gets older that "punishment" may mean allowing him to suffer the consequences of his actions.
Texaggie7nine
I further explained this in a post above.

Quote:

7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ
Texaggie7nine said:

I further explained this in a post above.

Quote:

Yeah, I should have kept reading before posting.

Regarding your other point above: Punishment can also serve as an example and a warning to others. An example of wisdom (or just intelligence) would be observing the negatives outcomes that others experienced and not desiring to experience the same for yourself.

Texaggie7nine
I also mentioned that..

Quote:

Allowing someone to experience the natural consequences of doing something they shouldn't is one thing, but to impart a steeper punishment upon them to set an example is cruel and not loving.
7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ
Texaggie7nine said:

I also mentioned that..

Quote:

Allowing someone to experience the natural consequences of doing something they shouldn't is one thing, but to impart a steeper punishment upon them to set an example is cruel and not loving.

In your opinion.
Texaggie7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I also mentioned that..

Quote:

In your opinion.
Yeah I guess you have to hold onto that in order to believe in hell and a loving god can coexist.
7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ
Texaggie7nine said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I also mentioned that..

Quote:

In your opinion.
Yeah I guess you have to hold onto that in order to believe in hell and a loving god can coexist.
The concept of Hell has never troubled me whatsoever.

I have to ask: When was the last time you actually contributed meaningfully to a discussion? 9/10 of your posts seem to be "you're loving god is really a jerk lolz". The last time that I recall you contributed is when you and I were chatting about the prosperity gospel and Osteen and that feels like a year ago.

There are a ton of topics that I don't chime in on because I have nothing to add to them. Maybe you should try that sometime.

Texaggie7nine
If an idea is not rationally defensible it needs to be constantly challenged. This is how humans progress to a better world.
7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ
Texaggie7nine said:

If an idea is not rationally defensible it needs to be constantly challenged. This is how humans progress to a better world.
Don't flatter yourself.

I'm a very rational guy and I have no problem with the concept of hell and a loving God. I would say that many of the other believers on here are rational as well.

Again - if you don't have anything to contribute why are you here? Your posting style is sometimes reminiscent of those irritating street preachers that you can find at city centers or touristy areas. You're not contributing, you're not convincing anyone, and you're generally just derailing threads.
Texaggie7nine
The question is open.

Quote:

What would be the punishment be for doing something unthinkable like burning a loved one's Bible?
I addressed the question. Where the conversation takes from that point is not my fault, I'm just answering what has been addressed to me.

To think you can rationally defend hell and a loving god, I would pay my life savings for such. It would simplify my life immensely. I could go back to believing, I could go back to church and sit and be content in my belief in the bible.

I have sought out endlessly not only on this forum but among congregational leaders. No one can provide a single rational argument save annihilation or universalism.

If you think you are being rational, you are fooling yourself for the sake of comfort, which I find is insanely common among humans.
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
I want to progress with the rest of my fellow humans. Teach me how.
Texaggie7nine
Martin Q. Blank said:

I want to progress with the rest of my fellow humans. Teach me how.
place reason and logic over emotions and comfort. That's a good start.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.