Atheism...

1,031 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 7thGenTexan
Doc Daneeka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems to me that every atheist I've met in real life is a peculiar character. It's not evidence that leads most of them to their wrong belief but Ego. They love to be different. They love to feel dangerous. There is some kind of Freudian ego fulfillment when they turn from God. They love to go to Christian groups and other religious groups and grandstand.. Spreading their nonsense... Feeling proud and smart... Acting like they are forward thinking and ahead of the curve...
Woody2006
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

It seems to me that every atheist I've met in real life is a peculiar character. It's not evidence that leads most of them to their wrong belief but Ego. They love to be different. They love to feel dangerous. There is some kind of Freudian ego fulfillment when they turn from God. They love to go to Christian groups and other religious groups and grandstand.. Spreading their nonsense... Feeling proud and smart... Acting like they are forward thinking and ahead of the curve...
Perhaps that is simply the perception you've created in your own mind. I get the feeling you don't interact with many of them beyond surface-level.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggrad08
AG
don't feed it.
Doc Daneeka
Once upon a time... There was nothing... Then it exploded...
Sapper Redux
It seems to me you have already decided what every atheist is like before you actually get to know them.
Post removed:
by user
kurt vonnegut
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

Sorry you feel that way Doc. I'll buy you a beer if you are ever in big D and show you that some of us are pretty normal people.
Solo Tetherball Champ
You do realize that this isn't a Christian board, right?

Texaggie7nine
You have probably met a lot of atheists or agnostics without ever knowing. Of course the more verbal atheists that really want you to know they are are going to be doing it more for attention than true rational measurement of theism.
7nine
Eliminatus
AG
I guarantee you know more atheists than you realize. There are more of us than those who like to blast it. Just like I know more Christians than I realize. These are the normal ones.

Edit: Dang. Don't know how I missed the post above me. But yeah. Same point.

Eliminatus
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

It seems to me that every atheist I've met in real life is a peculiar character. It's not evidence that leads most of them to their wrong belief but Ego. They I don't love to be different. TheyI don't love to feel dangerous. There is some kind of Freudian ego fulfillment when they turn from God. I never turned from god. I never followed it in the first place They love to go to Christian groups and other religious groups and grandstand.. I have never done this before, nor have any wish to do so, and cannot think of any of the atheists I know ( at least 10) that have done or will do that ever. Spreading their nonsense... Feeling proud and smart... Acting like they are forward thinking and ahead of the curve... Quite a bit of judgement going on there. Automatically puts people on the defensive and eliminates any chance of a legitimate conversation beginning.
Put myself into your statement. Yeah, none of that is applies to me. Like...zero percent.

Something something broad strokes.
TexAgs91
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

It seems to me that every atheist I've met in real life is a peculiar character. It's not evidence that leads most of them to their wrong belief but Ego.
Whoa, you got evidence?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
P.C. Principal
Eliminatus said:

I guarantee you know more atheists than you realize. There are more of us than those who like to blast it. Just like I know more Christians than I realize. These are the normal ones.

Edit: Dang. Don't know how I missed the post above me. But yeah. Same point.

Completely agree. I always say that for the most part, atheists and religious people aren't all that different. They're normal people with jobs, families, and lives. They just think differently on the whole God thing. You would never know what their beliefs are until they were to tell you. The more outspoken ones like the far religious right and the Reddit-type atheists tend to represent people with their worldview.

I think most civilized people know it's wrong to think of all Christians as the Westboro Baptist Church and all atheists as the smug "all religious people are stupid" type.

Taking it a step further, I have long believed that the vast majority of people in the world are agnostic. Only in the sense that no one really really knows if there is a God. Some people believe, some don't believe. But it's something you just can't know for a fact,
7thGenTexan
AG
Loud evangelical atheism is very 2009. It's no longer fashionable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.