Come Meet Jesus & Holy Spirit-ACTS Retreat - End of July

2,150 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Furlock Bones
booboo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This retreat is unlike any other retreat. It literally changed my life back in 2008, was like 10,000 gallons of jet fuel on my spiritual life. I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly-John- 10:10"

This retreat works:
No outside distractions- No Phone/ TV for several days
Prayer and Fellowship with other men- after this retreat you will know 90 other men/brothers As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another-Proverbs 27:10

Last year sent atheist friend (was atheist for 30+ years) to retreat He was reborn and transformed,He was able to forgive himself and encounter Jesus. Today he attends church every week, working fulltime to assist/care/love for others. Jesus has brought him peace.

Few spots still open in West Houston. Let me know if you are interested.
booboo91
Christianity still exists 2000 years later, not due to fancy marketing, but the power of Jesus transforming people's lives. Real transformation. The formula is so simple: Repent, Turn to the Lord and Love.

From book 7 men- see my other post. Chuck Colson- involved in Watergate scandal,accepts Jesus and then dedicates the next 4 decades to prision ministry and serving others.

Sitting alone in his car, Chuck, the marine, take-no-prisoners tough guy, began to sob. Filled with emotion, ...........Chuck drove toward home, but he realized that he was weeping so copiously he could scarcely see the road. Afraid he might crash into an oncoming car, he pulled over. And there, alone in the night, by the side of a road, Chuck Colson gave his heart to God. "God, I don't know how to find you," he prayed, "but I'm going to try! I'm not much the way I am now, but somehow I want to give myself over to you."Over and over as he sat there in the car, Chuck asked God to receive him. It was a humble prayer by a man the world knew as anything but humble. As Chuck relates in Born Again, I had not "accepted" ChristI still didn't know who He was. My mind told me it was important to find that out first, to be sure that I knew what I was doing. . . . Only that night something inside me was urging me to surrenderto what or to whom I did not know. I stayed there in the car, wet-eyed, praying, thinking for perhaps half an hour, perhaps longer, alone in the dark of the quiet night. Yet for the first time in my life I was not alone at all.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Went in spring 2013, served on team fall 2014.

Loved it!
schmendeler
AG
are they bringing snacks? no fish, please.
booboo91
schmendeler said:

are they bringing snacks? no fish, please.
Lots of good food on Acts retreat. So much, you won't want to eat for days. No fish unless it is lent.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Dates?
Post removed:
by user
booboo91
XUSCR said:

Dates?
Thursday- 5:30pm July 27 - end Sunday noon- July 30th

SJV ACTS

If interested let me know. Spots are filling up
booboo91
AstroAg17 said:

I've considered going on a few Christian retreats and such at the invitation of friends and loved ones over the past few years, but I'm afraid that the reaction would be fairly negative if one failed to be profoundly moved or influenced by the message.

Have y'all ever taken someone who didn't believe who continued not to believe? What was the reaction, if so? If not, how many non-believers have been?
Astro, Promise if you go in with open & honest attitude and, you will leave at the very minimum with immense love and gratitude for the blessings you have been given in your life. This is my 12th retreat and have encountered nearly 1000 men who have come from various backgrounds and seen unbelievable dramatic results. Last year my atheist buddy was reluctant to go, but was at a stage in life, where he knew things were not working. He opened his heart just a crack and Jesus stepped into his life.

You encounter God/Jesus in many ways in your life, but the main way is Love. Fellowship with others. This retreat works- because there is no outside distractions (TV, Phone, Internet), it is prayer and fellowship with 90 other men who show you and each other agape love.

Not, that you can't afford it but I will pay for your retreat. SJV ACTS Signup Come incounter Love, Holy Spirit and Jesus!

Don't delay, the old Christian saying is true. Jesus encounters you where ever you are in your life. All you have to do is be open and honest. Ok- to say you doubt.
booboo91
Astro,

Acts retreat is like the 1st Rocky movie. Where rocky is constantly hitting the body (ribs) of his opponent, and eventually his opponent drops his hands and opens self up.

Same way with Acts- you see Holy Spirit in action (working your body) and you can't stop his love from impacting/ affecting you.

Think on it, pray on it, sign up, you won't regret it. At the very least you encounter and become friends with roughly 90 other men.
UTExan
Just a question---is this a charismatic Catholic event?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
booboo91
UTExan said:

It is open to anyone, all Christians, even fallaway Christians (Agnostic/Atheist). It is a Catholic event and as far as Catholic events go it is much more charismatic. It is run by laymen, not priest. It is very much fellowship event- agape love.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Quote:

Have y'all ever taken someone who didn't believe who continued not to believe? What was the reaction, if so? If not, how many non-believers have been?

The one time I was on team we did have someone who had a remarkable experience but wasn't ready to take the plunge. There is a part of the weekend that is deeply emotional where those who feel so inclined can make a profession. However, there is absolutely no obligation or pressure to. In this specific case, the retreatant came to us (team leaders) and was honest and open about his feelings and hesitations. We really appreciated his honesty and the fact that he was giving the retreat an open heart and prayerful considerations. Our goal is to bring men closer to God, not convert them, or pressure into believing. We can only profess our experiences, and faith. It was just to give men an avenue and distraction free opening into the lives of other men and to help open doors.

I can't speak for all retreats, but I would assume most are generally of the same mindset and would welcome you with an open heart and mind, and accept you regardless of your conclusions at the end.
UTExan
booboo91 said:

UTExan said:

It is open to anyone, all Christians, even fallaway Christians (Agnostic/Atheist). It is a Catholic event and as far as Catholic events go it is much more charismatic. It is run by laymen, not priest. It is very much fellowship event- agape love.

Great! Sounds like the Protestant Emmaus Walk. Really glad to have these kind of events for Christian renewal/revival.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
UTExan said:

booboo91 said:

UTExan said:

Great! Sounds like the Protestant Emmaus Walk. Really glad to have these kind of events for Christian renewal/revival.

I have not been on the emmaus walk, but I have had family members who have, and from what they have told me they are very similar. T
booboo91
UTExan said:

booboo91 said:

UTExan said:

Yep, Acts, Emmaus, Journey to Damascus, ect...follow Cursillo retreat style that was popular in Spain in 1940s and took off world wide.

It works- silence from outside noise of the world, prayer, fellowship, Forgiveness, time to call the Lord into your life.

Also, I always thought living in a monastery would be boring, but after weekend gathering with men you grow to care for (band of brothers) changed my mind. Can easily relate to St. Paul's body of Christ comments, parts of the body working together. You see this very clearly on the retreat.
Post removed:
by user
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
booboo91 said:

XUSCR said:

Dates?
Thursday- 5:30pm July 27 - end Sunday noon- July 30th

SJV ACTS

If interested let me know. Spots are filling up
Thanks
swimmerbabe11
I don't know anything about this, but our church does men's retreats and whatnot. We don't do altar calls or anything like that. If someone wanted to observe, it would be very easy to blend in. Nobody would spotlight you or anything.
booboo91
AstroAg17 said:

I appreciate your responses and SoulSlave's response, and that's a very generous offer. Thank you. I'll certainly consider going one day, but that day is a ways off. I'll probably do it around the time I have kids if I end up going. I'm still undecided about how I plan to raise any potential children with regard to religion, and I'll probably attend church for a while around then in the spirit of giving religion a fair shake. That seems like the best time for it.
Understood, always welcome. Welcome, with not only me, but all active Christians in this Texags forum.

Also don't wait too long.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
Alcohol served or is it byob?
booboo91
RockTXAggie said:

Alcohol served or is it byob?
No BYOB at this event. The only high is the Holy Spirit.
schmendeler
AG
snakes provided or BYOS?
Post removed:
by user
Aggiefan#1
AG
Only Christ and the Holy Spirit?

Did the Father drop them off?
dg77ag
AG
I would also encourage anyone to give this a try, it's a weekend of your life that will pass by regardless, but it will be a weekend that will enrich your life in ways that will be exciting and very personally rewarding ,nothing to fear here, after the weekend you'll wonder why you hesitated.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aggiefan#1 said:

Only Christ and the Holy Spirit?

Did the Father drop them off?
now, this, this is funny.

good luck on the ACTS retreat for those that are going. i can't this year. but, definitely want to in the future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.