Interesting verse...

958 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zobel
Doc Daneeka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mark 1:13

And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him.

The angels ministering to God blows my mind...

Thoughts? (protestants only)
I am legend
He was imperfect thus imperfect beings ministered to him.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Well it makes zero sense, doesn't it?
PacifistAg
AG
First, why "Protestants only"? I'd be interested to hear how our Catholic and Orthodox brothers and sisters view this.

Second, I've always understood this as part of Jesus being fully human. We see in the garden how He struggled at times, to the point of sweating blood. So, I've always seen this as angelic forces encouraging and reinforcing Christ during the times of temptation. Also, He was alone in the wilderness being tempted by Satan. This would have undoubtedly been the scene of a massive cosmic battle taking place between angelic and demonic forces. So perhaps that's also what it's referring to.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I've always understood this as part of Jesus being fully human.
Correct. Jesus grew in knowledge and wisdom, he was tired, hungry, grew weary, was tempted, etc.

None of these are proper for God.

Heb. 2:17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.
Frok
AG
In Matthew the angels come and minister to Jesus after the temptations from Satan. So maybe they restored him back to health? Or they sustained him spiritually to persevere? Fasting for 40 days in the desert has got to put you on the brink of death.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Jesus was fully human. He had human needs with regard to physical and psychological support.

It would be interesting to know what the Greek word for "Ministering" was and how it was normally used.

We tend to think of "ministering" as Pastoral Counseling and providing help and advice, but it can also mean simply providing physical needs - food, water, care for wounds/aches etc....

People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Doc Daneeka
Yea I agree. I think this is a perfect of example of the bible showing how Jesus was full human.

Doc Daneeka
So do Angels "minister" to us as well ?
Zobel
AG
It means to serve, but it is not a specific word. Literally it means something along the lines of "kick up dust", as in, moving so fast there's a dust cloud following you. Same root word as deacon.

I think the tying to Matthew's account makes sense, that the angels literally served / waited on him, food and drink.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.