Worst new poster?

5,725 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Doc Daneeka
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What he wrote is the symbol of faith. I believe this, except since I'm orthodox we simply say that the holy spirit proceeds from the father. This represent my faith in a nutshell.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
k2aggie07 said:

What he wrote is the symbol of faith. I believe this, except since I'm orthodox we simply say that the holy spirit proceeds from the father. This represent my faith in a nutshell.
Ok, yes.

Quote:

Actually, the Catholic Church "allows" disagreement about many things.

Really, to be Catholic, all you really "must" believe is:

This is what seems disingenuous. As if there aren't plenty of ways to get yourself kicked out of the Catholic Church? (assuming you actually told your beliefs to a priest or whatever instead of bottling your disagreements up inside, or confessing that you and your wife decided to get an abortion)
Zobel
AG
I think if you confessed something like that your pastor would counsel you. Not kick you out, unless you were unrepentant.

But anyway the Latin church is way more legalistic about a lot of things. I don't pretend to speak for them.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

AstroAg17 said:

The Catholic Church doesn't allow disagreement about many things.

I can appreciate the argument that if one disagrees with an indisputable tenet of Catholicism, then one may not be considered a catholic, so it's reasonable that the church doesn't allow dissent. Still, there aren't really any options for those who simply don't agree with any one catholic teaching. There is no church for the guy who accepts everything but one thing, is there?

I think there are legions of those guys who just keep their disagreements to themselves just because it's easier.

And, does anyone actually believe what Dad-O just wrote? Doubt it.
I believe it!
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

k2aggie07 said:

Ok, yes.

Quote:

This is what seems disingenuous. As if there aren't plenty of ways to get yourself kicked out of the Catholic Church? (assuming you actually told your beliefs to a priest or whatever instead of bottling your disagreements up inside, or confessing that you and your wife decided to get an abortion)
You may lose access to sacraments for other things, but that doesn't make a person "no longer Catholic".
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Kool
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

k2aggie07 said:

Ok, yes.

Quote:

The believing Catholic is to understand that the Church through Jesus Christ has the responsibility to impart faith and to teach its members. In this sense, Catholics understand that the Holy Spirit guides the Church in its teaching, even though it uses imperfect and wholly human messengers to do so. Even Jesus picked one bad apple out of the 12. The Catholic Church does allow for dissent. Not every Catholic agrees with all of the dogma of the Catholic Church. There is an entire section within the Catechism regarding the formation of conscience and the duty of the Catholic Christian to examine his or her own conscience, and it even outlines steps to be taken whenever one's own conscience, properly examined and formed and tested, is in contradiction to the formal teachings of the Catholic Church. It is easy for American Catholics to remember where to look for the teachings about the formation of conscience - sections 1776 - 1812. I love this pdf flip version of the Catechism, and I hope my poor interwebs skills don't ruin the link. Cheers
http://ccc.usccb.org/flipbooks/catechism/index.html#440
[url=http://ccc.usccb.org/flipbooks/catechism/index.html#440][/url]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
AggieRain
AG
Catholic in that sense means universal. A single, universal church. Apostolic means derived from a single lineage tracing back to Christ himself. Hence the Catholic claim that the faith can be traced back to the original disciples of Christ.
jkag89
Here is the gist of it: The Four Marks of the Church
Zobel
AG
Catholic just means universal in Greek. its been the honorific of -the- Church since basically forever (St Ignatius used the phrase in this way in AD 107).

St Vincent of Lerins (c 445) described it:
Moreover, in the Catholic Church itself, all possible care must be taken, that we hold that faith which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and in the strictest sense Catholic, which, as the name itself and the reason of the thing declare, comprehends all universally. This rule we shall observe if we follow universality, antiquity, consent. We shall follow universality if we confess that one faith to be true, which the whole Church throughout the world confesses; antiquity, if we in no wise depart from those interpretations which it is manifest were notoriously held by our holy ancestors and fathers; consent, in like manner, if in antiquity itself we adhere to the consentient definitions and determinations of all, or at the least of almost all priests and doctors.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Bump.
Doc Daneeka
Bayside Tiger ... Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.