#SBC17

4,537 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Frok
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**
I'm not saying everyone there that's upset about the removal of a statue is "alt-right". My comments are about those that peddle this white genocide nonsense and promote race-based nationalism. The alarming thing is how many claim to be followers of Christ while publicly promoting anti-Christ viewpoints.
I for one am glad to hear that. Since the SBC did not specifically address other racist groups but specifically singled out "white" racism, one must assume that black or Latino racism does not exist in the minds of the SBC "messengers". Of course, a brief gander at the Balkans would prove otherwise where ethnic tribalism among Serbs, Croats, Slovenians and Bosnians prove a posionous stew and the dominant Orthodox churches were somewhat complicit in the genocidal conflicts there.

BLM/Antifa and any other groups like those aren't growing in the SBC. The evil of white nationalism, however, appears to be. That's why it would seem the SBC addressed this specific one, but also did make mention of race-based nationalism in general, if I recall correctly. They were addressing an issue that they've seen growing in ther denomination.

Yesterday is a great example of why they rightly condemned it.
PacifistAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Have you heard of false equivalency? One form of racism has a long, long history of exceptional violence, often with state backing. To see its reemergence is troubling.

And given the history of the SBC and its founding, this is an issue that men like Ed Stetzer, Russell Moore, Albert Mohler and others felt was rightly addressed.
UTExan
RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**
I'm not saying everyone there that's upset about the removal of a statue is "alt-right". My comments are about those that peddle this white genocide nonsense and promote race-based nationalism. The alarming thing is how many claim to be followers of Christ while publicly promoting anti-Christ viewpoints.
I for one am glad to hear that. Since the SBC did not specifically address other racist groups but specifically singled out "white" racism, one must assume that black or Latino racism does not exist in the minds of the SBC "messengers". Of course, a brief gander at the Balkans would prove otherwise where ethnic tribalism among Serbs, Croats, Slovenians and Bosnians prove a posionous stew and the dominant Orthodox churches were somewhat complicit in the genocidal conflicts there.

BLM/Antifa and any other groups like those aren't growing in the SBC. The evil of white nationalism, however, appears to be. That's why it would seem the SBC addressed this specific one, but also did make mention of race-based nationalism in general, if I recall correctly. They were addressing an issue that they've seen growing in ther denomination.

Do you have citations/stats for the growth of white supremacists among the SBC? You might want to check out this thread from the politics board: https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2872763
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**

Do you have citations/stats for the growth of white supremacists among the SBC? You might want to check out this thread from the politics board: https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2872763

I'm going to go with the SBC members that have seen this evil growing and decided to address it. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on the specific issue. As I said, I'll trust men like Mohler, Stetzer and Moore about the necessity of this. I can say that, anecdotally, I have SBC "friends" that I've known for years who have embraced this evil.

And I've seen that thread. Just because many of the alt-right have rejected Christianity doesn't mean there's not a growing strain of this evil in the church. SBC leaders have seen it, and decided to address it. Charlottesville has shown that decision was right. White nationalism/alt-right or whatever you wish to call it, has no place in the church. No place whatsoever.
PacifistAg
AG
I will add that I think this all may be a much needed wake-up call for the church. At least I pray it is. I pray churches become much more forceful in calling out these evils and naming them for what they are, which is satanic. Was glad to hear the church we visited today name it for the evil it is. (Note: not just white nationalism. Any tribalism and its darkness needs to be exposed by the Light.)

We need to be a voice of reconciliation, forgiveness, truth and love. We're not going to be until we shun the hyper-partisanship we see in churches, whether conservative or progressive. But tribalism has no business in the church and should be rejected. I'm hoping recent events open eyes and hearts within the church.
Post removed:
by user
UTExan
RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**

I'm going to go with the SBC members that have seen this evil growing and decided to address it. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on the specific issue. As I said, I'll trust men like Mohler, Stetzer and Moore about the necessity of this. I can say that, anecdotally, I have SBC "friends" that I've known for years who have embraced this evil.

And I've seen that thread. Just because many of the alt-right have rejected Christianity doesn't mean there's not a growing strain of this evil in the church. SBC leaders have seen it, and decided to address it. Charlottesville has shown that decision was right. White nationalism/alt-right or whatever you wish to call it, has no place in the church. No place whatsoever.
There is a forum to address this evil. It is called the pulpit. It is also called Sunday School, men's groups and women's groups. Billy Graham refused to hold segregated evangelistic events and he eventually became a member of of First Baptist, Dallas. Good for the SBC for addressing the sin of racism, but actual preaching is what most church congregations need to remedy this, and not just in predominately white congregations.
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**

There is a forum to address this evil. It is called the pulpit. It is also called Sunday School, men's groups and women's groups. Billy Graham refused to hold segregated evangelistic events and he eventually became a member of of First Baptist, Dallas. Good for the SBC for addressing the sin of racism, but actual preaching is what most church congregations need to remedy this, and not just in predominately white congregations.
I agree that actual preaching the gospel is what's needed most. The pulpit is the best forum to address it, but it's not the only forum. And I also don't think we should limit it to Sunday mornings. I think there needs to be a call from the pulpits that Christians, on Monday - Saturday, be active in taking a stand against this evil, especially if they see it infecting the church. But much of that will simply happen if we live day-to-day as Christ taught.
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

The center is as arbitrary a position for the church as the left or right. Why would the church eschew politics when it clearly aligns more closely with one party than the other?
I'm not saying "eschew politics". I'm saying eschew partisanship. The way of Christ is inherently political. "Jesus is Lord" is a political statement.
Frok
AG
UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

UTExan said:

RetiredAg said:

**edit**

We had a pretty convicting sermon recently about this issue. I admit my issue is I kind of ignore the issue altogether. I see these groups as fringe groups not worthy of attention or time. However I do think a lot of this is driven by the media. They need ratings and these ridiculous groups are great way to get there. We all love to watch a trainwreck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.