Augustine vs Aquinas

900 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FTACo88-FDT24dad
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was reading the thread on Orthodox and some comments from k2 got me thinking about the relationship of Augustinian theology/philosophy to Thomist theology/philosophy. My very rudimentary understanding is that the Augustinian school is more scholastic and the Thomist school is more Aristotilean, but I know that's a gross over simplification.

Anyone able to offer some Augustine and Aquinas for Dummies?

Thanks
Zobel
AG
Relevant but maybe not for dummies:
https://www.amazon.com/Aristotle-East-West-Metaphysics-Christendom/dp/0521035562
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thanks
RebelE Infantry
AG
For a good insight into Thomism, check out Dr. Taylor Marshall's website (taylormarshall.com) he has a podcast in addition to running the New St Thomas Institute. He covers a wide variety of topics and explains the Thomist view throughout. He is a convert to Catholicism which adds an interesting perspective and is an Aggie to boot!
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thanks
Shut it down
FWIW, I think far too much credence is given to both Augustine and the angelic doctor in the Catholic Church.
Zobel
AG
So really I think St Augustine - aside from the obvious spiritual heights he achieved - was an amazing guy. Like wildly smart. When you read some of his work on music and how his conception of music and numbers preceded later mathematicians (and philosophers) concepts of irrational numbers by centuries, it's pretty incredible.

However, I think he struggled with trying to express a systematic theology for things he had experienced but lacked the nuanced language of the Greek fathers to describe. I get super cautious here, because St Photios said that much of what St Augustine wrote was stretched later to other people's ends, but it seems that he perhaps in chasing the error of Pelagius used language in error, and his way of expressing his arguments led theologians in the West to overstate and misuse his writings. However, he didn't logic his way there, but was struggling to express his understanding of the heresy of Pelagius as best as he could. It should be noted that at the end, St Augustine was right and Pelagius was wrong.

But St Augustine wasn't simply disagreeing with Pelagius on the grounds of philosophy or a systematic and synthesized theology -- he was speaking from experience of God. If you read what he says, the real root of his objection to Pelagius is that he was not expressing a true experience of God as St Augustine had experienced.

I think this should always be the way we read and compare any theologians work. The commonality of expression of theology "from within God" as St Gregory says is the hallmark of trustworthy work.
Zobel
AG
https://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/04/the-divine-music-of-mathematics

Re: St Augustine and music and math
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

For a good insight into Thomism, check out Dr. Taylor Marshall's website (taylormarshall.com) he has a podcast in addition to running the New St Thomas Institute. He covers a wide variety of topics and explains the Thomist view throughout. He is a convert to Catholicism which adds an interesting perspective and is an Aggie to boot!
Thanks again for this referral. Exactly what I was looking for...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.