There is only one way to defeat Islam...The Holy Roman Catholic Church

8,043 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Amazing Moves
BlackGoldAg2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Glad you liked it

also, fun fact, google translate censors your Spanish post.

Quote:

At what point would you ever tell someone they were wrong because they can't read Greek?
Only when their theology is based on an English translation of a Latin translation of the Greek..
AGC
AG
Soy la leche!

Though, we have older texts now to confirm our translations from Latin from Greek. We're not limited in our source material nearly as much as they were. But I digress.
Zobel
AG
Yes, to translate is to change by definition.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
In response to OP though, no, the only ways to "defeat Islam" are for Muslims to come to a saving faith and knowledge in Jesus Christ, or the second coming of Christ
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

Which is understandable, but unfortunately not what I was talking about. At what point would you ever tell someone they were wrong because they can't read Greek?
I'm no greek scholar, so I wouldn't. But anyone who knows how to read could pick up an ESB, NIV, NKJ, or even a King James and see the differences between each translation.
americathegreat1492
The literal reading is those who engage in homosexual acts must be put to death.
Zobel
AG
The flip side is the Church collectively (east and west) said that the demand that only trilingual scripture is authentic (Hebrew Latin and Greek) is a heresy.

The scriptures should be translated to the native tongue of all people. The divine services should be performed in the tongue of all people. But these translations must be faithful and authentic to the tradition and meaning of the originals.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

The difference here is in some schools of Islamic theology, the Koran in any other language than the original Arabic is no longer the Koran. Valuable, but not the Koran. that is why a number of Muslims around the world can recite the Koran in Arabic even though they don't speak Arabic. This then forces them to rely upon Imams to tell them the meaning. Which now that I type that sounds an awful lot like the days of the Bible only being available in Latin...
I'm sure that I already pissed off the Catholics enough on this thread, so I'm not going to chime in on your last sentence....

But I agree with a lot of what you've said. I think it is primarily a Sunni doctrine that holds that the Koran is only the Koran in Arabic, but I can't be sure. I'm just assuming it is them because Iran is largely Shi'a and they speak Farsi over there.

When you get down to it, that can be a great Cultural unifier:
  • Koran must be in Arabic
  • Koran is meant to be spoken/chanted/sung, etc.

Therefore, you end up with a lot of Arabic speakers (cultural unity contrasted with Christendom) and it stops the language from evolving too much, though I'm no linguist.

Quote:

But I agree with the basic premise, which is why I keep a Greek interlinear out when studying the new testament and don't just completely trust one translation.
Zobel
AG
Also keeping a Greek interlinear is not really a valid check for a layman against a translation. Translating is really really hard work. An art. Seeing a single word or even a sentence as a layman doesn't really necessarily help you understand.
Solo Tetherball Champ
k2aggie07 said:

Also keeping a Greek interlinear is not really a valid check for a layman against a translation. Translating is really really hard work. An art. Seeing a single word or even a sentence as a layman doesn't really necessarily help you understand.
Agreed.

Short of learning Ancient Hebrew, Greek, etc, the best most can do is have several different translations and a browser ready to Google and an educated pastor/priest on speed dial.
Zobel
AG
Honestly even your typical pastor/priest isn't going to be all that effective. To get a really authentic translation you need someone who works in the field or does it for a living. Some clergy do, some don't. I'm fortunate that a childhood friend of mine is a classics professor and is fluent in Greek.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
k2aggie07 said:

agreed, by itself an interlinear is essentially useless if you don't speak Greek. but i have found it to help clarify things when used in conjunction with several lexicons and Greek concordances.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

The literal reading is those who engage in homosexual acts must be put to death.
yes i get that, but why is that particularly offensive over other things like the killing of apostates?
Solo Tetherball Champ
k2aggie07 said:

Honestly even your typical pastor/priest isn't going to be all that effective. To get a really authentic translation you need someone who works in the field or does it for a living. Some clergy do, some don't. I'm fortunate that a childhood friend of mine is a classics professor and is fluent in Greek.
I just meant that many priests/pastors have studied Greek, Latin, or hebrew as part of their seminary education. Sure, many have not, which is why I italicized the word "educated".
canadiaggie
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Quote:

The difference here is in some schools of Islamic theology, the Koran in any other language than the original Arabic is no longer the Koran. Valuable, but not the Koran. that is why a number of Muslims around the world can recite the Koran in Arabic even though they don't speak Arabic. This then forces them to rely upon Imams to tell them the meaning. Which now that I type that sounds an awful lot like the days of the Bible only being available in Latin...
I'm sure that I already pissed off the Catholics enough on this thread, so I'm not going to chime in on your last sentence....

But I agree with a lot of what you've said. I think it is primarily a Sunni doctrine that holds that the Koran is only the Koran in Arabic, but I can't be sure. I'm just assuming it is them because Iran is largely Shi'a and they speak Farsi over there.

When you get down to it, that can be a great Cultural unifier:
  • Koran must be in Arabic
  • Koran is meant to be spoken/chanted/sung, etc.

Therefore, you end up with a lot of Arabic speakers (cultural unity contrasted with Christendom) and it stops the language from evolving too much, though I'm no linguist.

Quote:

But I agree with the basic premise, which is why I keep a Greek interlinear out when studying the new testament and don't just completely trust one translation.

The Shi'a view is that the Imam is the final interpreter of the Qur'an. Ismaili Shi'a take it to the extreme and believe that the Imam is the speaking, human version of the Qur'an.

It's debatable as to whether the Qur'an in the written form is the Qur'an at all, because the written Uthmanic Qur'an is arbitrarily ordered and grouped together. It was done so by the Caliph Uthman, with a good deal of disapproval by Muhammad's family and particularly Ali, the first Shi'a Imam.

An alternative view that I've seen in some Shi'a writings is that the Qur'an we have today is just the Arabic translation of divine speech as Muhammad experienced it... and the only way to truly experience the Qur'an for yourself is by the Imam's guidance as Muhammad's heir.
AGC
AG
Thanks for clarifying. It's been a few years since I've read it and some of the western criticisms.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Thanks for the insight and correction.

Blue Star to you, sir.
americathegreat1492
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

americathegreat1492 said:

yes i get that, but why is that particularly offensive over other things like the killing of apostates?
They're both offensive. Those are just the quotes I grabbed first.
mesocosm
AG
"There is only one way to defeat Islam...The Holy Roman Catholic Church"

Ok then - but how do we defeat Catholicism?

schmendeler
AG
mesocosm said:

prohibition
747Ag
AG
schmendeler said:

mesocosm said:

prohibition
PacifistAg
AG
mesocosm said:

"With a marxist Pope!"
- TexAgs Politics Board
Doc Daneeka
The only way to defeat Islam is to open the borders to Middle East and allow Mexican immigration. The place will be Catholic in 100 years.
kurt vonnegut
AG
mesocosm said:

Purple Parrot
Amazing Moves
It's funny when cults call each other cults.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.