Lighten up: Bill Nye

4,087 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kurt vonnegut
Post removed:
by user
Kool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why doesn't he stick to teaching about science? I know this is a rhetorical question, but he and Neil DeGrasse Tyson and others burn so much of their credibility when they try to tell me that I can't believe in God and evolution, that I can't believe that the earth is warming but be skeptical of international bodies' efforts to solve the problem (or non-problem), or that I cannot know that I don't want a sexual relationship with a man without giving it a try. I am pretty sure I don't want to stick my genitals into an electrical socket, but I don't think I need to give it a try just to make sure. Thanks for setting me straight, Bill.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
What the hell was that Bill?
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Aggrad08
AG
Ugh
Furlock Bones
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I know you guys all love Bill Nye, so you probably awaited his new Netflix show's release eagerly. He has delivered, and although I have not actually watched the show, I can discern its high quality and tasteful approach from videos such as this one:

I think we can all agree with that message.

Play me out, crazy lady!

i don't.
Martin Q. Blank
I like when I'm taught science using things I enjoy like ice cream. It makes it easier to understand.
Star Wars Memes Only
I still enjoy watching Bill Nye The Science Guy with my daughter. It's such a fantastic show, and he's such a fantastic science educator. I really wish he would stick to that.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dargscisyhp said:

I still enjoy watching Bill Nye The Science Guy with my daughter. It's such a fantastic show, and he's such a fantastic science educator. I really wish he would stick to that.
Politics ruined Bill Nye. . . . thanks politics. . . .
AggieChemist
AG
Captain Pablo
AG
Biggest doofus in the history of television
Star Wars Memes Only
That second video is particularly cringeworthy.
Star Wars Memes Only
One of the top comments from youtube made me lul:

"I used to think Christians were dumb. Now I respect them for trying to prevent this from happening."

Also, "I suddenly want to vote for trump."
Star Wars Memes Only
Also, it reminds me of this Christopher Hitchens article titled Why Women aren't Funny.
Star Wars Memes Only

And then I just saw this on reddit:

Star Wars Memes Only
Just because I'm Indian doesn't mean I won't violently murder you. (/s if it's not obvious)
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
There are many very cringeworthy videos by Rachel Bloom.

She has talent and she is funny sometimes, but she is so self loathing and progressive feminist all the bad things about modern pop culture that it's hard to defend. Definitely product of this zeitgeist and not in a good way.

I watched Crazy Ex Girlfriend and it was so good and funny at times and then it would just totally go off the rails and be gross and ugh. So many of the bad things about modern culture in that show.
kurt vonnegut
AG
So, I watched a few of Episodes of Bill Nye saves the world tonight and they weren't as weird as the sex show. I still don't love the Nye, but don't think it's fair to judge his show based on the ice cream sex cartoon.
Captain Pablo
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

So, I watched a few of Episodes of Bill Nye saves the world tonight and they weren't as weird as the sex show. I still don't love the Nye, but don't think it's fair to judge his show based on the ice cream sex cartoon.

So don't judge his show based on his show?

Brilliant observation
kurt vonnegut
AG
Captain Pablo said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Brilliant observation

Exactly. And I'll try not to judge you as an A hole based on one post.
Captain Pablo
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Captain Pablo said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Brilliant observation

Exactly. And I'll try not to judge you as an A hole based on one post.
747Ag
AG
Of all the things to get torqued about...
RangerRick9211
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

That's a fake quote.

What's not fake is his take on Deflategate.

A topic, ideal gas law, he as a MEEN, is qualified to opine on. And he whiffs it.
jkag89
The Real "Anti-Science"
by Wesley J. Smith - First Things
kurt vonnegut
AG
jkag89 said:

The Real "Anti-Science"

The attack on Nye's mechanical engineering degree is petty and hypocritical. You can't criticize 'appeal to [scientific] authority' and then dismiss Nye on account of him not being enough of an authority.

That said, the accusation that Nye conflates science and morality is fair and my biggest gripe with him. I think it's dangerous to say that scientific facts should be used to answer the 'should' questions.

The 'should' questions are hard to address if we don't agree on the science . The author does a really good job boiling 'anti-science' accusations down to scientists wanting to splice three people's genes together to make a baby and some people taking moral exceptions. There is a lot of bad science and distrust of science that the author just brushes off as not existing.
jkag89
kurt vonnegut said:

jkag89 said:

The Real "Anti-Science"

The attack on Nye's mechanical engineering degree is petty and hypocritical. You can't criticize 'appeal to [scientific] authority' and then dismiss Nye on account of him not being enough of an authority.
Do not disagree in the least.

I hesitated posting this piece but decided it made a strong enough case in showing that many of those that claim scientific authority are not immune to their own bias and are not above cloaking political advocacy as hard science.
Captain Pablo
AG
jkag89 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

jkag89 said:

The Real "Anti-Science"

Do not disagree in the least.

I hesitated posting this piece but decided it made a strong enough case in showing that many of those that claim scientific authority are not immune to their own bias and are not above cloaking political advocacy as hard science.

I would say that is rampant
Eliminatus
AG
Kool said:

Why doesn't he stick to teaching about science? I know this is a rhetorical question, but he and Neil DeGrasse Tyson and others burn so much of their credibility when they try to tell me that I can't believe in God and evolution, that I can't believe that the earth is warming but be skeptical of international bodies' efforts to solve the problem (or non-problem), or that I cannot know that I don't want a sexual relationship with a man without giving it a try. I am pretty sure I don't want to stick my genitals into an electrical socket, but I don't think I need to give it a try just to make sure. Thanks for setting me straight, Bill.
To clarify NDT has not advocated any of that you listed.
Kool
AG
Eliminatus said:

Kool said:

To clarify NDT has not advocated any of that you listed.
A couple of Neil DeGrasse Tyson videos, and I pulled out just a couple of quotes from them.

"None of this is any sign that there is a benevolent anything out there"

"The sooner you understand that, the faster we can get along with the political conversation about how to solve the problems that face us. So once you understand that humans are warming the planet, you can then have a political conversation about that.....those have political answers...."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/degrasse-tyson-science-deniers_us_58f99e89e4b06b9cb91572a1

The attached are videos of him speaking, not somebody paraphrasing him, you can judge for yourself. As for the sexual orientation issues, I wasn't specifically speaking about Tyson but about Nye, and I think the videos from the OP certainly reflect that point of view.

I appreciate that you very respectfully disagree about what Neil DeGrasse Tyson does and doesn't advocate, but I can't listen to the above videos (including the one listed in the Huffington Post article) without thinking he falls in line with the first two points I made. I personally find Tyson to be dismissive, condescending, and egalitarian. Perhaps that is a character flaw in me. I will respectfully listen to someone with whom I disagree if they present their arguments rationally and respectfully, but for me he goes beyond that. If you need evidence of that, just look at the title page of his presentation in the first video - "Stupid Design". Just present your arguments, Neil, don't try to insult me or tell me that science can tell me what was present before the Big Bang or why the Big Bang occurred, why my life might have a purpose, etc.
Bill Nye is just recently ridiculous but dangerous nonetheless. I must remember, both of these guys are on TV, so they are obviously smarter than I.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nu awlins ag
AG
Quote:

So once you understand that humans are warming the planet, you can then have a political conversation about that.....those have political answers...."
So this is a scientific fact?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.