Matthew 24:36-41

1,274 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So today in sunday school we discussed the passage where Jesus explains to the disciples that the day and time the Lord comes back is set by and exclusively know by the father. Insomuch that he could come like a thief in the night, the moment everyone would least expect him.

Then the thought occurred to me that fortunately for myself, family, anyone who may be reading this presently, the Lord has decided to put off his second coming long enough for us all to be born and given the decision to accept him as our Lord and Savior.

That if his second coming would have been before we were born, that we would not have existed. Well....what is it like to not exist? ( I appreciate life so much more at the mere thought of this) Yet, what about all the lives that will not be born because of his second coming? Once we reach a new earth will He just create the new people that would have been born and not give them the choice to sin? Will he continue to introduce new lives among us at all?

As much as I want Christ to come back, I, along with the rest of the inhabitants of earth are lucky to be alive, let alone be able to make the decision to accept Christ as my savior. Some people who are babies when Christ comes won't even be old enough to make the decision for themselves.

The further he delays, the more lives can be born which would result in the possibility of more lives coming to know Him and accepting Him as their savior. Will/will not His second coming be the cutoff point? I kinda feel bad for the lives that won't exist, be born. Yet, perhaps it's just me thinking in the wrong way insomuch that it's not necessarily the people that don't get to be born and experience life, so much that it's just the end of time and outside of time nothing really is meant to exist or maybe he'll start the whole creation thing somewhere else in the universe after our time has passed and we're all gone to the spiritual realm.

Perhaps I'm getting into the mystery of things that the word warns us against. Whatever he wants us to know, he tells us.
Martin Q. Blank
There are no hypotheticals or "what ifs" in the mind and will of God.
dds08
AG
Could you elaborate? I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but maybe what you're trying to say is that there are no what if's because the Lord is quite deliberate on who he wants to be alive and who ever isn't alive, or born, or have life was not meant to have a life. Am I on the right track at least?
dds08
AG
Just the mere thought that Christ's second coming will be so random and so unpredictable (and could have happened at any present moment from the time he was risen on Easter 2000+ years ago to now), I am so grateful that I have a life and He has decided to allow me to be born and to live, and to know Him, let alone accept Him.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

There are no hypotheticals or "what ifs" in the mind and will of God.

Why? Is God limited in power?
dds08
AG
No. He has unlimited power. Well I believe I understand now. Since He has unlimited power, whatever he wants done will be done. What isn't done or whoever is not born or the fact that you or I were born means that he was sure and deliberate for it to be. Anything, anyone, any place that was to be, IS; and anything, anyone, and any place that wasn't to be ISN'T
Martin Q. Blank
dds08 said:

Just the mere thought that Christ's second coming will be so random and so unpredictable (and could have happened at any present moment from the time he was risen on Easter 2000+ years ago to now), I am so grateful that I have a life and He has decided to allow me to be born and to live, and to know Him, let alone accept Him.
Good attitude.
dds08 said:

Could you elaborate? I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but maybe what you're trying to say is that there are no what if's because the Lord is quite deliberate on who he wants to be alive and who ever isn't alive, or born, or have life was not meant to have a life. Am I on the right track at least?
Yes. Read Ps. 139. There's no such thing as a "could have been" person.
dds08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

dds08 said:

Good attitude.
dds08 said:

Yes. Read Ps. 139. There's no such thing as a "could have been" person.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Psalm 139:15 speaks volumes.

"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body."

That speaks volumes to me. There's a possibility He knew you or I or anyone with life was going to be created and He could see our unformed flesh, and all the dirt/particles that would be used to form us before we were even an idea to any man. There's a possibility he had our blueprint for our DNA, body, soul, character, and personality all planned out before Adam and eve existed!

This is fascinating!

Thanks for sharing.
agie95
AG
dds08 said:

For one His coming is not random and unpredictable. Two, there was no easter 2000 years ago. He rose on first fruits. He died on Passover and rose on the first offering of First Fruits.

If people would follow God's mo'edim (commonly translated as festivals, but means appointed times) then there would be more knowledge concerning His first and second comings.

Matthew 24 speaks about the parable of the fig tree, referring to knowing the season. The phrase no one knows the day or the hour is a Hebrew idiom for Yom Teruah. It is the only festivals that starts on the new moon (begins new month). All other festivals start somewhere after the first day and before the last day of the month.

Paul speaks in 1 Thessalonians 5 about the Day of the Lord (speaking of Yom Teruah/Rosh Hashana) that those in darkness will be overtaken like a thief in the night. Those not in darkness, son's of light (light = Torah, you will be following the mo'edim) are not in darkness but in light and the day will not overtake you like a thief in the night.
dds08
AG
agie95 said:

dds08 said:

For one His coming is not random and unpredictable. Two, there was no easter 2000 years ago. He rose on first fruits. He died on Passover and rose on the first offering of First Fruits.

If people would follow God's mo'edim (commonly translated as festivals, but means appointed times) then there would be more knowledge concerning His first and second comings.

Matthew 24 speaks about the parable of the fig tree, referring to knowing the season. The phrase no one knows the day or the hour is a Hebrew idiom for Yom Teruah. It is the only festivals that starts on the new moon (begins new month). All other festivals start somewhere after the first day and before the last day of the month.

Paul speaks in 1 Thessalonians 5 about the Day of the Lord (speaking of Yom Teruah/Rosh Hashana) that those in darkness will be overtaken like a thief in the night. Those not in darkness, son's of light (light = Torah, you will be following the mo'edim) are not in darkness but in light and the day will not overtake you like a thief in the night.
Yes Yes Yes, my words were a bit off. Yes His second coming will not be so unpredictable, beg your pardon, and I would be willing to go further to say that once His great commission is fulfilled, that is, every person on earth has been given the opportunity to accept Him as their personal savior; that will be the time of Jesus second coming.
agie95
AG
really? Has every person every lived had that opportunity? Has every person that lived since the death and resurrection had that opportunity? There have been millions of people who lived and never heard the gospel as you speak about it.
schmendeler
AG
you missed verse 34.
Win At Life
AG

Quote:

The phrase no one knows the day or the hour is a Hebrew idiom for Yom Teruah. It is the only festivals that starts on the new moon (begins new month). All other festivals start somewhere after the first day and before the last day of the month.

But, by your rabbinic traditions of following a calculated calendar, every moon besides the 7th moon IS known. So, the 7th moon is also equally known, but they declare it for two days because when spotting the new moon as Torah instructs us to do, and as they did during the time of Yeshua, you don't know for sure if the moon will be spotted, so it is indeed unknown. Given that you know this, why do you prefer to follow rabbinic traditions invented 400 years after Yeshau instead of the method used by Yeshua?
Win At Life
AG
Bump for correction above.
My Dad Earl
AG
agie95 said:

really? Has every person every lived had that opportunity? Has every person that lived since the death and resurrection had that opportunity? There have been millions of people who lived and never heard the gospel as you speak about it.
"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened." - Romans 1:18-21

Yes, they may not have heard the Gospel, but every one that has ever lived knows enough to be without excuse.
schmendeler
AG
That doesn't mention Christ, but God. So that could be anyone that believes in a Deity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.