Forgiveness: Muslims Moved as Coptic Christians Do the Unimaginable

1,042 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Potcake
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgiveness: Muslims Moved as Coptic Christians Do the Unimaginable

It's amazing to witness, and one thing I've noticed is that it seems that those Christians who have been historically marginalized, oppressed and even killed are also those who seem quickest to forgive. We saw it in Charleston, Cleveland, Libya and now this. It's such a powerful witness to Christ. This is beautiful because this points to Christ. This is the radical kind of love that sets the world on end.

Quote:

Twelve seconds of silence is an awkward eternity on television. Amr Adeeb, perhaps the most prominent talk show host in Egypt, leaned forward as he searched for a response.

"The Copts of Egypt are made of steel!" he finally uttered.

Moments earlier, Adeeb was watching a colleague in a simple home in Alexandria speak with the widow of Naseem Faheem, the guard at St. Mark's Cathedral in the seaside Mediterranean city.

On Palm Sunday, the guard had redirected a suicide bomber through the perimeter metal detector, where the terrorist detonated. Likely the first to die in the blast, Faheem saved the lives of dozens inside the church.

"I'm not angry at the one who did this," said his wife, children by her side. "I'm telling him, 'May God forgive you, and we also forgive you. Believe me, we forgive you.'

"'You put my husband in a place I couldn't have dreamed of.'"

Stunned, Adeeb stammered about Copts bearing atrocities over hundreds of years, but couldn't escape the central scandal.

"How great is this forgiveness you have!" his voice cracked. "If it were my father, I could never say this. But this is their faith and religious conviction."

Millions marveled with him across the airwaves of Egypt.
Quote:

For example, the night of the bombings, Orthodox priest Boules George said he thanks and loves those who did this crime. Speaking to a congregation in Cairo's Cleopatra neighborhood, his words were broadcast on the popular Coptic TV station Aghaby.

"I long to talk to you about our Christ, and tell you how wonderful he is," said George, addressing the terrorists. But then turning to the church, he said, "How about we make a commitment today to pray for them?

"If they know that God is love and experience his love, they could not do these thingsnever, never, never."
Quote:

The Libyan martyrs were a turning point, he said, as Copts watched the victims call out to Jesus in their moment of death. In his Orthodox diocese 170 miles south of Cairo, many have since repented of sin and changed the focus of their life, making faith a priority.

"Martyrdom is linked to the Christian life. To carry your cross and follow him," said Thomas. "Since we are united to Christ, in this life we are his image.

"As he forgave, so must we."
Quote:

Kharrat hopes there can be a revival of nonviolent Coptic protest. But of the latest bombings, many believe ISIS is trying to spur on reciprocal religious violence, as it did in Iraq between Sunni and Shia.

"There is great relief the Copts are not hitting back," he said.
Quote:

But if the example of forgiveness has yet to transform the state, is there hope it will transform society? Kharrat said it already has.

"The families of the martyrs are promoting a worldview that is 180 degrees contrary to that of the terrorists," he said. "The great majority of Egyptians now carry deep respect for the Copts, who are viewed as patriotic people of faith."
Quote:

Besides frustrating the extremists who want to provoke the Copts, Christians like the widow of Faheem are winning over Muslims as well. "Their testimony is like a domino, with incredible ramifications in the country," Atallah said. "It will keep Egypt from becoming like Lebanon during its civil war."

The spiritual ramifications run even deeper for Bishop Thomas, who has recently received many unexpected visits of sympathy and solidarity from local Muslim sheikhs and charity workers.
Quote:

For the past 15 years, his school in Qusia has been a home of civic engagement for Muslims and Christians, discussing ethics and childrearing for the sake of their kids. But now Muslims are asking about other issues altogether.

"When people see this attitude from Christians and the church, they ask themselves, 'What kind of power is this?'" he said. "But with this witness we must also declare the message of Christ, which we are fulfillingliterally. We may not see the response immediately. But we will in the near future."

Pro Sandy
swimmerbabe11
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

That became hard to watch through tears. So beautiful. You see Christ in those words. Thanking ISIS for killing them. Considering the victims to be lucky. Calls to pray and love those in ISIS. Wow. Amen.
swimmerbabe11
I've watched it a few times. It is beautiful. I want to be like that.

...I am not like that.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I don't think I want to find out if I can be like that.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've watched it a few times. It is beautiful. I want to be like that.

...I am not like that.
It would certainly be the hardest thing to do in that situation. I pray that if I'm ever in that situation, I will be like that. There are times I am so grateful to live in a place where we can worship without fear, but then I see this and think of how much that comfort may be stunting us. This is what I want to be. This is what happens when you are refined by fire. But, I do not know exactly how I would be in that situation.
swimmerbabe11
My actual like since childhood life goal was to be a missionary in China. As I became an adult, my focus kinda shifted. Now, I want to work in China at my real job and help the missionaries in China..kinda like a modern day Lydia. Most of China tolerates missionaries because of their educational benefits, but its still not totally safe.

It's easier said than done, but to me..there is a certain appeal in dying in a way that you can be proud of. (rather than my greatest fear of dying in a car wreck screaming fuuuuuuu)

Anywho, any time I see the videos of people forgiving their family member's murderer or something, I always pray that when the time comes..that will be my reaction.
swimmerbabe11
Right now, mostly the finding of a job. My eyes/ears are open, but no luck so far... also I'm really really bad at speaking mandarin
Potcake
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm glad I watched that. Thank you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.