Can anyone tell me about the "Living church of God"

5,079 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
AggielandPoultry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been studying more lately and came across some of their teachings. It does seem to make sense that my current faith does not seem to follow God's holy days.. Thank you for any info/thoughts.
Pro Sandy
AG
They deny the Trinity. They deny the person of the Spirit. That should be enough to discount them.

The whole British come from the lost tribes is weird.

If you feel strongly about Saturday, remember the reason Christians gather on Sunday is because Christ rose on Sunday. The early church did that and we continue today.

The other holidays, I've brought up the question on here before. I think they can be good, but they also pale in comparison to what they point to, Christ. Why you would want to celebrate the Passover as a Christian and NOT celebrate Easter makes no sense. We had the ultimate Passover lamb sacrificed for us. If you had to choose one, why would you not choose the greater thing to celebrate?

But the denial of the Trinity is the biggest issue you need to be concerned with.
AggielandPoultry
AG
Interesting. Does 119 ministries on YouTube follow this same doctrine? I have been following some of their videos and enjoyed them. Then came across this other church while reading.
94chem
Quote:

Christ rose on Sunday
Or maybe Saturday night
agie95
AG
The Living Church of God is an offshoot of the Global Church of God. They split over doctrine issues. Just like all the other denominations that split over church doctrine, they can't agree b/c they lack a proper foundation.

119 is Hebrew Roots and is similar but not quite the same as either one of the above. 119 is anti-semitic and is similar to a karaite Judaism except 119 believes Yeshua to be the Messiah.

119 has some good videos, but they also have some errors due to their anti-semitic slant.

Regarding when the Messiah rose, it really doesn't matter b/c God commanded people to gather on Shabbat. The early "church", the disciples, Paul, etc all gathered on Shabbat as commanded. This does not mean they couldn't gather on other days as people commonly do even today, but they went to the synagogue on Shabbat no matter how many other times they met throughout the week.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

The whole British come from the lost tribes is weird.
Indeed. I had an engagement with someone who believed strongly in British Israelism. Truly baffling. I know one of the aspects of this is that the British Royal Family are direct descendants of David, which just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that the Royal Family has not always been the same genealogical line.

swimmerbabe11
Quote:

Just like all the other denominations that split over church doctrine, they can't agree b/c they lack a proper foundation.

This is such a strange criticism for a sect with one location and a youtube channel.
swimmerbabe11
I say this in *complete* ignorance but...this seems like a REALLY hard reach to try to justify the monarchy theologically. When did this start?
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I say this in *complete* ignorance but...this seems like a REALLY hard reach to try to justify the monarchy theologically. When did this start?
From a quick glance on wikipedia, it looks like this movement has been around since the 16th century, but really came to prominence in the 1800's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism
swimmerbabe11
No shock that it coincides with British Colonialism.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

No shock that it coincides with British Colonialism.
Exactly. It's not surprising that it seems to be tied to hegemony and empire. When your actions are incompatible with Christ, while claiming to serve Him, then you have to come up with convoluted rationales to sanctify it.
Win At Life
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

I have been studying more lately and came across some of their teachings. It does seem to make sense that my current faith does not seem to follow God's holy days.. Thank you for any info/thoughts.
There are a few "doctrines" out there the espouse Europeans as the "new" Israel, or the true Israel of the 10 northern tribes that were scattered. The "Brit" in Britain is similar to the "brit" in Hebrew, which means a covenant. There is no other linguistic, cultural or historical connection between the Hebrew word "brit" and the English word "Britain" other than they have a similar sound, but there's only so many sounds a human voice can make, so that shouldn't be surprising. And it should be something to build such a doctrine out of.

Many claim the Danish people are remnants of the tribe of Dan, due to a similar misguided doctrine over words that merely have a similar sound.

Many of these Euro-centrist groups claiming Israeli ancestry are anti-Semitic and call themselves Ephraimites after the tribe of Ephraim.

It's an interesting coincidence (or maybe not a coincidence) that the two tribes this movement associate themselves with are the tribe of Dan and the tribe of Ephraim, but those are the exact two tribes left off the list of tribes that are sealed in Revelation 7:5-8.

It looks like what you are seeking is a congregation that keeps the Sabbath and the Feasts according to scripture. I agree with that personally. But you don't want to attach yourself to any of the churches mentioned or to any offshoots of the Worldwide Church of God or Sacred Name movements. I suggest what you are looking for is most likely found in a congregation of Messianic who do not reject the Jewishness of the faith; sometimes goings as Messianic Jewish to make that distinction. You can try Google and look for one near you, or use this site as a starting point.

IAMCS Member Congregations

Shalom
agie95
AG
Sorry Win At Life, that link is not a good starting point. At least in the Dallas area, those congregations are nothing more than disguised churches.

Win At Life
AG
A starting point is not a finishing point. Do you have an association that lists Messianic Jewish congregations?
agie95
AG
A church in disguise is not a starting point in my opinion. They do more harm than good.

There is one but only a few belong, none in Texas. OMJRA. - Observant Messianic Jewish Rabbinical Association Members & Affiliates

May it be soon that there will be more Lapid houses!
AggielandPoultry
AG
Thank you for the thoughts. Lots of learning to do.
Aggiefan#1
AG
Go look for the strongest and most theological consistent churches around.

Mostly stay Trinitarian and go with older established groups with good leadership

Orthodoxy
Roman Catholicism

If you go Protestant go mainstream Lutheran Presbyterian etc.. None of those will lead you to peril. Learn then go places from there.

Let a Christ like mentality of love and grace guide your decisions and avoid churches or members that don't practice it.

agie95
AG
That is the opposite way he is looking.

Go Jewish or go home!
PacifistAg
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

First, do they affirm the Nicene Creed? Next, I'd find a body that actually lives out being the hands and feet of Christ. That is typically very noticeable right away. Do they care for the needy, the widow, the orphan, the marginalized? Or are they focused on rules over love?
agie95
AG
Oh, the irony. The Torah is love. Read it sometime with that perspective. You who want to get rid of the Torah which speaks of providing for the poor and the widow. It shows how to care for your neighbor, how to handle something that went wrong, how to treat people, etc.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

The Torah is love.
No. God is love.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Define Love?
PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Define Love?
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

What does God look like? Christ crucified. That is the purest display of love mankind has ever seen.
swimmerbabe11
agie95 said:

That is the opposite way he is looking.

Go Jewish or go home!

I'm hoping you meant this in a lighthearted why, because I nearly spit out my drink laughing. It wasn't in a mocking way, just a fun way.

agie95
AG
sorta kind of, but not really....
agie95
AG
what you provided is the same definition as this:

And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it. 2 John 1:6

All those things you listed occur when you follow the commandments.

Thus there is more to leading a Torah life than merely observing 613 rules. The ultimate goal is to understand the implications of each commandment in the context of the overall Divine will that must shape our personality, outlook, and actions.
Pro Sandy
AG
The ultimate goal is to live in relationship with the overall Divine whose will must shape our personality, outlook, and actions.

God comes before the law, not the other way around. Through God, I can follow the law, not through the law come to God.
PacifistAg
AG
agie95 said:

what you provided is the same definition as this:

And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it. 2 John 1:6

All those things you listed occur when you follow the commandments.

Thus there is more to leading a Torah life than merely observing 613 rules. The ultimate goal is to understand the implications of each commandment in the context of the overall Divine will that must shape our personality, outlook, and actions.

And eating shrimp does not violate the 1 Cor 13 definition of love.
Rongagin71
AG
Rongagin71
AG
agie95
AG
WRONG. The definition of love per John is following the commandments. Therefore when love is mentioned it is referring to following the commandments.
PacifistAg
AG
agie95 said:

WRONG. The definition of love per John is following the commandments. Therefore when love is mentioned it is referring to following the commandments.
You said the definition provided in 1 Cor 13 is the same as provided in 2 John. I see nothing in the 1 Cor 13 definition of love that would prohibit eating shrimp. One can eat shrimp and love God. Which aspect of the 1 Cor 13 definition of love would prohibit the eating of shrimp or bacon?
agie95
AG
Love is love. You don't see it b/c Christians believe if it is not explicitly restated then it must be done away with, which is not true.

Which aspect...the aspect of love. Loving God is following the commandments.

specifically - does not act unbecomingly;
God's people should act a certain way. One of those acts is eating what God called food. Eating otherwise is an abomination and is unbecoming.

it does not seek its own - when you decide to do what you want to do, to eat what you want to eat you are seeking your own. You are making yourself a god. This actually also goes back to the previous verse of not being arrogant. When you decide to follow your own ways and not God's you are declaring that your way is right.

does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;

You rejoice in eating nonkosher food that is rejoicing in unrightousness. You are not rejoicing in the truth, which per Psalm 119 is Torah and the commandments.

Prophecy - Isaiah 66:17 - "Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go to the gardens,
Following one in the center,Who eat swine's flesh, detestable things and mice,
Will come to an end altogether," declares the Lord.

v24 - "Then they will go forth and look
On the corpses of the men
Who have transgressed against Me.
For their worm will not die
And their fire will not be quenched;
And they will be an abhorrence to all mankind."

Zobel
AG
Having a hard time seeing that eating shrimp is unrighteousness.

You've tried before to make a distinction between ritual purity and actual purity, but here you are explicitly combining the two.

How do you square that with Mark 7:15?

Either eating cannot make you unrighteous, or ceremonial unrighteousness and actual unrighteousness are not the same thing.
PacifistAg
AG
Wow, that is some stretching.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.