Whovian Theology

1,681 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sapper Redux
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whovian Theology

Not sure if there are any other Whovians here, but I had found this page before because I was certain someone out there had to have created something about theology and Doctor Who. I just thought I'd share because there are some interesting posts in here. I haven't read all of them and am by no means asserting they espouse "perfect" theology (but, really, who does?). I just thought it was an interesting take that some may enjoy reading.

And if you are not a Doctor Who fan, well 1) you probably shouldn't even click the link since you won't get the references, and 2) you're dead to me.
swimmerbabe11
I like Doctor Who, but I dont think I approve of this.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Where can I learn more about Eruism and the worship of the Valar?
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I like Doctor Who, but I dont think I approve of this.
Yeah, I get that. Some of them are a stretch, but I don't really have an issue with it. It's really just taking storylines to illustrate Scriptural principals.

BTW, see the season premier this past weekend? So glad Clara is gone. Can already tell the chemistry between Bill and the Doctor is much better. Oh, how I couldn't stand Clara.
Sapper Redux
I love Dr. Who. That is all. Not really the guy to comment on the theological arguments presented.
swimmerbabe11
I don't really know how to work my tv. I have roku on it and I don't know last time I tried to turn it back to cable to watch a baseball game, I failed miserably. I wouldnt know where to start. I waste so much money on cable that I don't know how to use.
swimmerbabe11
I liked Clara a lot. I didn't like Rose at all.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I didn't mind her w/ Matt Smith (my favorite Doctor), but she was no Amy Pond. I just think she had horrible chemistry w/ Capaldi. It was likely the writing, as I think Moffat has started phoning it in, which is a shame because Capaldi is a great actor.

Oh, and I don't have cable. We use roku and ordered the new season on Amazon. Was a very solid first episode. Rumor (or should I say "rumour") is that for Capaldi's last episode, they are bringing in David Bradley (Filch from Harry Potter and has played the First Doctor in some offshoot Doctor Who show) to play the first Doctor. Sounds like it will loop back to the 50th anniversary show where we saw Capaldi's eyebrows when they were saving Gallifrey w/ all 13 Doctors. So, that would mean his last act as the Doctor will be in that scenario. Such a wibbly wobbly ending indeed, if that's the case.

BTW, while I liked Rose, I do think she's a tad overrated. Amy Pond is probably my favorite full-time companion, but I do love me some River Song.
PacifistAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

I love Dr. Who. That is all. Not really the guy to comment on the theological arguments presented.
I can neither confirm, nor deny, that I shared this theological perspective here just so I could have an excuse to talk about the greatest show ever created.

My wife and I have really gotten into going to comic cons (yes, we are geeks and proudly wear that label). Have already had our pictures taken w/ Tennant/Rose and just got them w/ Captain Jack Harkness, River Song and Donna Noble at the Dallas comic con a month ago.
Sapper Redux
RetiredAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I didn't mind her w/ Matt Smith (my favorite Doctor), but she was no Amy Pond. I just think she had horrible chemistry w/ Capaldi. It was likely the writing, as I think Moffat has started phoning it in, which is a shame because Capaldi is a great actor.

Oh, and I don't have cable. We use roku and ordered the new season on Amazon. Was a very solid first episode. Rumor (or should I say "rumour") is that for Capaldi's last episode, they are bringing in David Bradley (Filch from Harry Potter and has played the First Doctor in some offshoot Doctor Who show) to play the first Doctor. Sounds like it will loop back to the 50th anniversary show where we saw Capaldi's eyebrows when they were saving Gallifrey w/ all 13 Doctors. So, that would mean his last act as the Doctor will be in that scenario. Such a wibbly wobbly ending indeed, if that's the case.

BTW, while I liked Rose, I do think she's a tad overrated. Amy Pond is probably my favorite full-time companion, but I do love me some River Song.

Walder Frey as the First Doctor?!

And the correct answer is Donna Noble as the best companion. Don't ask me why, I just always loved her chemistry with Tennant.

I liked Rose and I liked Amy Pond, but I never liked Clara. There was something just too... neat, I guess, about her. She just didn't have the personality or down-to-Earth quality of the other companions. That said, I enjoyed the new companion last night, so I'm interested to see where they go with it.
PacifistAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

RetiredAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Walder Frey as the First Doctor?!

And the correct answer is Donna Noble as the best companion. Don't ask me why, I just always loved her chemistry with Tennant.

I liked Rose and I liked Amy Pond, but I never liked Clara. There was something just too... neat, I guess, about her. She just didn't have the personality or down-to-Earth quality of the other companions. That said, I enjoyed the new companion last night, so I'm interested to see where they go with it.

I had no idea who Walder Frey was lol. Had to Google. Bradley played the first Doctor in An Adventure In Space And Time . Looks just like Hartnell. http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-18/doctor-who-david-bradley-return-first-doctor-christmas-special

Oh, and I love Donna. Hated her in her first appearance, pre-Martha. But when she came back, I fell in love. Oh, and can't forget ol' Wilfred. Loved him. Donna and Tennant had amazing chemistry.
swimmerbabe11
Donna totally grew on me. I also really liked the 9th doctor and no one else did.

Rose grated on me. I hated her.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Donna totally grew on me. I also really liked the 9th doctor and no one else did.

Rose grated on me. I hated her.

Same here on #9. Very underappreciated. I think he suffers because it was just 1 season and was before the budget got much bigger.

Was really hoping they'd bring John Hurt back to do a season showing the Doctor during the Time War. Sadly, that's not possible anymore. Really curious to see who the next Doctor will be. I was really hoping for either Redmayne or Rupert Grint, but hearing it'll likely be Kris Marshall. Like all before him, I'll just have to wait and see how he is. Didnt know who Matt Smith was before and thought there was no way he could replace Tennant, but he became my favorite.
swimmerbabe11
I just really don't want it to be a girl.

I've enjoyed Capaldi.
PacifistAg
AG
I get that. I'm not opposed to a woman, because as the Master showed, they can regenerate into male or female, but I think right now it would come across as forced. I know one of the original creators said he envisioned a female Doctor, but it would come by writing the Doctor and realizing a particular actress would be perfect, not finding a woman and writing the role for her.

Also fear the controversy would become a distraction.
swimmerbabe11
I think RIver Song could have been a doctor. However, I just think the character and the personality has been masculine. I think from one doctor/actor to the next, that masculine identity has flowed. Its not that I'd be opposed to a female time lord show, but... I want the Doctor to seem *somewhat* the same.
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah I would agree. Of all the women I've seen on the show, the one I'd probably pick would be the woman who was the TARDIS in the human body. She's got that quirkiness and would kind of fit canonically (if that's even a word). But you have a good point.
Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

I think RIver Song could have been a doctor. However, I just think the character and the personality has been masculine. I think from one doctor/actor to the next, that masculine identity has flowed. Its not that I'd be opposed to a female time lord show, but... I want the Doctor to seem *somewhat* the same.

I just want the right actor or actress. I'd love a bit more of the grandeur of the Tennant years where you really felt the power of the Doctor. He's seemed smaller in some ways with Smith and Capaldi. Not their faults, they've done a great job with the character, more the tone of the stories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.