Hacksaw Ridge- Greater Love

1,066 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
booboo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watched Hacksaw Ridge movie it is story of Desmond Dodd- medal of honor winner for his heroics during battle of Okinawa. Few comments:

1) Very good movie and from history perspective, very accurate (considering it is Hollywood movie), in fact left a lot of incredible events out. One reason I enjoy history so much- fact is better than fiction.

2) He was active in his love for others (he gave himself a way). He trusted in God/Jesus, no fear. His prayer life /bible was his strength. Nonviolence, pacifist- Retired this has to be one of you favorite movies.

3) After war- Desmond was really shot up, he had surgeries for 5 years, had difficulty working due to injuries, wife had to get job as nurse to support them. He went deaf for 12 years due to medicine isssues (antibotics) he later received cocklear implant. Point to all of this, is all the pain and suffering he went through for the rest of his life. He is hero and then basically forgotten for decades. We fail to appreciate all that he did for Love of others.

I believe in similar way We (I) fail to recognize all that Jesus did for us on the cross. We get busy with life, hearing the same story over and over minimizes the magnitude and significance of events.

John 15:13- There is no greater love than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

2) He was active in his love for others (he gave himself a way). He trusted in God/Jesus, no fear. His prayer life /bible was his strength. Nonviolence, pacifist- Retired this has to be one of you favorite movies.

Tbh, I haven't seen it. I've read about his amazing story. It's hard for me to watch movies about war. It brings up a lot of stuff for me. I do want to watch it though.

I know that for the longest time, he refused to allow a movie you be made about his story. He was worried that him, and not God, would be glorified. I do plan on watching at some point though.
booboo91
Story is very good, enjoyed the ending especially the short 1 minute actual footage at end. Maybe you just watch the interviews, if you do not like viocence. The movie is bloody like saving Private Ryan- trys to show accurate protrayal of the brutality of war.

My favorite parts of movie (Spoiler)- he prays to God on what to do? and shortly hears the cry for wounded soldiers cry for help " Medic" Also his famous phrase of " Lord let me get just one more".

The dude was a stud! 100% servant, loving and caring for others, no regard for himself.

ABATTBQ87
AG
booboo91 said:

Story is very good, enjoyed the ending especially the short 1 minute actual footage at end. Maybe you just watch the interviews, if you do not like viocence. The movie is bloody like saving Private Ryan- trys to show accurate protrayal of the brutality of war.

My favorite parts of movie (Spoiler)- he prays to God on what to do? and shortly hears the cry for wounded soldiers cry for help " Medic" Also his famous phrase of " Lord let me get just one more".

The dude was a stud! 100% servant, loving and caring for others, no regard for himself.

PacifistAg
AG
Thanks. Just to clarify, my difficulty with watching war movies isn't due to my views on Christian nonviolence, but on my experiences in war. They're one of those things that can easily trigger PTSD-related issues.
schmendeler
AG
it was a well made movie, but I didn't think it was quite up to the hype around it. Andrew Garfield came across as unbelievable as a southern boy to me. and they were a little heavy handed with the antagonists (fellow servicemen) portrayed as the demons/adversaries trying to take him from his path of righteousness. it just came off a little too close to the typical "made for Christians" message at times. that's my take on it anyway. I think there's a better way to make a movie about pacifism without making all the other characters out to be dumb pro-violence stereotypes until shown the way of love by the protagonist. that's a simplistic view of it, but I think encapsulates my thoughts.
Post removed:
by user
94chem
I'll have to wait for Netflix so I can get closed captioning. I never can hear the dialog in war movies. Still have no idea what was happening in Platoon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.