Is nudity against Christianity?

9,191 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Frok
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why would God care if you go around naked?
wargograw
I don't know. Why would he make Adam and Eve garments?
Sapper Redux
wargograw said:

Because ancient Hebrews had issues with nudity. So when they invented Adam and Eve they tacked a load of shame with them.

Best guess.
schmendeler
AG
wargograw said:

schmendeler said:

wargograw said:

No man or woman saw Adam or Eve in their nakedness, so it's not really a good comparison to point that out when you're talking about hanging out naked in front of a crowd. Is anyone arguing that it'd be a sin for a man and his wife to hang out (no punt intended) naked at their home when they're the only people there? I don't think so. That's basically what Adam and Eve were doing.

So why did they have clothes when they ate the fruit? There weren't any other humans then.
Is this some kind of Bible knowledge test? Adam and Eve ate the fruit in Genesis 3:6. It's in verse 7 that "they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths." So the premise of your question is incorrect.

that's the exact premise of my question. they made clothes when (right after) they ate the fruit. god made them clothes. and yet they were the only two people. just like your example of a husband and wife hanging out at home.
Frok
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Why would God care if you go around naked?

Would you want to see all of us naked all the time?

Yuck.
Texaggie7nine
wargograw said:

If you ask the nudist Christians they will tell you that their sin made them ashamed of their nakedness. It doesn't mean they should be ashamed.
7nine
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

Protection against the elements? Now that they are subject to death and decay, perhaps God was trying to offer them protection. Who knows? Perhaps He knew that they felt ashamed of their nakedness and made them garments to help them against that feeling. It doesn't say He made them because He thought nakedness was wrong.

The question is whether or not the shame that they felt is applicable to only those that felt it or if it's meant to be universally applied? Considering many that truly love God and serve Him consider themselves nudists, and do so without shame, I'd lean towards it being more narrowly applied.
Frok
AG
Jesus wore clothes so it can't be just to cover shame.

schmendeler
AG
Frok said:

I'm guessing a naked person wouldn't have gotten a lot of followers.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Culture? Protection against the elements? Stumbling block to His message? Personal preference?

I don't think we can take His clothing choices and apply them universally. If so, we'll all be wearing sandals and robes.

***edited thanks to swimmer
wargograw
Dr. Watson said:

wargograw said:

Because ancient Hebrews had issues with nudity. So when they invented Adam and Eve they tacked a load of shame with them.

Best guess.

Then why wouldn't they just receive the garments after first being made?
wargograw
Ok making clothes right after doing something is NOT the same as having them when that something was done. But overall, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, it was shame that caused them to want to be covered. That doesn't conflict with anything I've said.
schmendeler
AG
wargograw said:

Ok making clothes right after doing something is NOT the same as having them when that something was done. But overall, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, it was shame that caused them to want to be covered. That doesn't conflict with anything I've said.
shame isn't sin.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Yes, it was shame that caused them to want to be covered.
The issue is just because they felt shamed doesn't mean all should feel shamed. There are countless things that one may feel shame for that isn't sinful and that others wouldn't.
swimmerbabe11
I think they are robes
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I think they are robes
lol thanks. I was at a loss for what they were called. Will edit accordingly.
Frok
AG
Maybe Eve needed clothes so Adam could focus on "other things".

And nobody wants to see a grown man naked.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.