Hypothetical

1,458 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kurt vonnegut
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My brother and I were discussing this question. My answer is obvious, but would you have an issue if your church held an auction or raffle and offered a pistol as a prize?
Martin Q. Blank
Depends on the members. Could be appropriate or not. I once visited a church in which the pastor gave a deacon a shot gun after the service for his help over the last several years. He was a hunter. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Nope. That would be awesome!
suprafly03
AG
My church in East Texas does that annually.
AggieRain
AG
No prob.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Nope.
kurt vonnegut
AG
RetiredAg said:

My brother and I were discussing this question. My answer is obvious, but would you have an issue if your church held an auction or raffle and offered a pistol as a prize?

I go back and forth on it. I don't get gun culture, but I also don't demonized it. It seems to be a weird prize in light of certain takes on Christian morality, but also seems fully in line with American culture and society. Ultimately, I think I come down on the 'not weird' side. Unless the raffle was to raise money for families of victims of Sandy Hook - in which case I'd say 'weird'.
FlyFish95
Seems like an odd thing for a church to do. Would you think it's weird for a Jiffy Lube to hand out dildos? It's about as arbitrary.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
In my experience, gun raffles are some of the most successful money raiseres out there. Among collectors and enthusiast, who are always looking for a new gun to try, but don't necessarily want to drop $500-xxxxxx amount of money, it's a great way to have a chance at a nice gun. My Rotary club does an annual auction and we raffle off 2 guns. A shotgun and rifle. We sell a card from a deck of 52 for $20 each. We sell out in under an hour. Guns are donated so we raise $1040 from each firearm.

Our knights of Columbus council is considering a gun raffle to help raise funds for community projects. I am excited about it.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
AstroAg17 said:

DryFly said:

Would you think it's weird for a Jiffy Lube to hand out dildos?
I'd think it's weird if they didn't.
LOL.
Frok
AG
I don't think it's necessarily wrong but I wouldn't be a fan of it.
BusterAg
AG
Culture matters.

Probably not appropriate in most central urban churches or biker churches.

Probably happens all the time in rural areas.

Many people that live in the country still think of pistols as primarily something to interact with wildlife with as opposed to defense against other people.
DirtDiver
Not weird at all. Try visiting some of the smaller churches out in the country and see how many people come to church with cowboy hats and boots. The conversations almost always include hunting of some sort.

99.9998 percent of the 300 plus millions guns in the U.S are not involved in any incidents every year in the U.S. This means that they are being used or collected for a reason other than to do harm.
7thGenTexan
AG
This guy.

Here you go retired:
https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Gun-Cabinets/cat/228
Dad-O-Lot
AG
As long as it was blessed by the Priest, I'd be OK with it.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

As long as it was blessed by the Priest, I'd be OK with it.

This guy'll do it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.