Methodists in Baltimore

1,359 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was raised Methodist, though am no longer one. My mom is a UM clergy member and while she and my dad have visited us recently in Maryland, we took in a couple of Methodists sites in Baltimore, the birthplace of the American Methodist movement.

Lovely Lane UMC
Lovely Lane was the site of the Christmas Conference in 1784, when Francis Asbury was elected as co-superintendent with Thomas Coke.

Asbury wasn't to be elected. Coke was ordained by John Wesley and sent to the US with directions to ordain Asbury as his co-superintendent. Asbury felt it was right to embrace the democratic movement of his new country and decided to be elected instead. I have one more photo of my mom with her hand raised in front of the church, voting for Asbury.

Bishop's Lot

Bishop's Lot is a section of Mt Olivet Cemetery in Baltimore that has the final resting place of Asbury, Robert Strawbridge, Jesse Lee, and E. Stanley Jones, all Methodist bishops.

Bishop's Lot

E Stanley Jones

Beverly Waugh

On the way to the cemetery, my mom asked where Coke was buried. Arriving at the cemetery plot, we found the answer.

There is also a time capsule. Come back in 2066 to find items of historic significance

Mt Olivet Cemetery
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.